PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Hi guys,
complete noob here! I would like to age some tins of tobacco right at the back of my cupboard but there's only space for them to be stored on their side (ie vertically) rather than on the bottom of the tin. would this affect the vacuum seal or tobacco quality in years to come? Also, is three nuns a good aging blend? It has burley in it and I've heard buleys age terribly?

Thank you
Welcome to the Forum! Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Please use shift key as it makes your posts easier to read for others. Thank you, Robert.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
First point: Don't try to age anything you don't already enjoy.

Second point:
I've heard buleys age terribly?

Burleys don't improve with age,because of the low sugar content. Although Three Nuns has burley, it is primarily a Virginia blend,and should age nicely.

I don't see why being on the side should affect the seal,or anything else. I've seen tins displayed that way in shops.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
That won't effect anything. If you have limited space I would suggest putting away some blends with mostly or all Virginia. Even if you don't

smoke them yet. Look what is available then "shop" reviews on tobacco reviews.com. You will likely want to try Virginias or VaPers and having a

few well aged tins will pay dividends.

Mike S.

There was a piece on the PM radioshow that compared the aging of different leaves, and it showed the Virginias aged the best. And, many started saying that the rest didn't age well because of this. I am not sure this was the correct assumption. Just because Virginias age the best, doesn't mean that the rest just get worse. Some of the most sought after aged blends are latakia blends. Greg Pease has studied this quite a bit and made a career of it. Aromatics don't show much improvement with age, but that doesn't mean they suck after a few years. The latakia and the toppings on these meld more into the leaf, but this isn't necessarily a terrible thing. Aged burley has become a recent kick of mine. Solani has a wonderful aged burley flake. And, participating in a few aged burley blend taste test, fresh verses 20+ years, and well... they were awesome.
Three Nuns is one in which the original recipe was renowned for aging very well. I can't speak on behalf of the new recipe, but I would wager that it ages well also.
My favorite B&M keeps its tins on the shelf sideways, so that the customers can see the labels on top. I have tried a few that had been on the shelf for over 10 years, and they were excellent. I don't see how the direction the tins are in could affect it.
Keep on, carry on, and smoke on... :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Aging a tin on it's side is blaphemy. How dare you even think of doing it. All my tins are flat, no matter where they are. You have a closet I presume, put them flat in there and forget about them for ten years. Here are a couple of picture of my closet.

DSC09847_zps470fc373.jpg

DSC09849_zps16eb9f8e.jpg

You have a bed I presume, get some of these plastic storage things and put your stash sitting flat under your bed.

DSC09845_zps07a60bfb.jpg

You have a nightstand I presume. Here is a pic of one of mine, I have others loaded up.

DSC09843_zps411350bd.jpg

Oh, I just realized in those pics, many of my tins are on their sides. Never mind. :nana:

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
You won't live long enough to smoke all that stuff, you old fart.
Might be true, but it's SO much fun to buy it and dream of smoking it. TAD can be fun...until you start to realize how NUTS IT IS.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Burleys don't deteriorate over time. Neither do they improve. They just sort of outlast all other varieties, from what I can tell from smoking some really ancient leaf. Stuff about 90 years old that I've tried kept a clear burley note while the Virginia had turned to zombie sludge.

Latakia is the quickest to fade "soften".

Latakia is the quickest to fade "soften".

Just finishing a 20 year old tin of GLP's Odyssey side by side with some just a few years old, I would have to vehemently disagree. Maybe some blends fade or soften, but not all. Having also had samples of very well aged Penzance, mmm. I have also had a few others. The latakia seems to meld with the other flavors very well. I guess if you like the sharp pungent and spicy cheese flavor of fresh latakia, you may see this as a negative.
Maybe Greg Pease doesn't really know his latakias or aging... for fun, I would agree, but in reality, I would have to give the Devil his due. :puffy:

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Aging is easy if you smoke 1 tin of something a month buy 2 and set one back.. I order 2 tins of Escudo, OSG, and 633 every time I order from P&C. I don't smoke anywhere near that much but it mean that like right now I have 5-6 tins of each that are well over 2 years old. Same thing with from Morton. My true fetish is Christmas Cheer. I buy 3 tins every year. #1 tin is for the year its made, #2 is for 2 years later and #3 is for 5+ years. ;)

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I sit strongly in the camp that blends with Latakia age pretty well. Burley blends certainly have a pretty decent shelf life.

I have a tin of 2004 Oddesey that I'm not worried about one bit. I always choose blends with more Oriental than Latakia

And do love how Bombay Court for example ages. My drive home from work tin is presently a 2007 ton in Westminster. I did not care for it all

that much in 07 but it has smoothed out nicely after these 8 yrs.

Mike S.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just finishing a 20 year old tin of GLP's Odyssey side by side with some just a few years old, I would have to vehemently disagree. Maybe some blends fade or soften, but not all. Having also had samples of very well aged Penzance, mmm. I have also had a few others. The latakia seems to meld with the other flavors very well. I guess if you like the sharp pungent and spicy cheese flavor of fresh latakia, you may see this as a negative.
Which statement simply underlines that Latakia fades, ooops, "softens" with time. Some people like the softer profile of aged latakia, others like the pungency of the fresh stuff. Like everything in this hobby, its' a matter of taste. But fade, soften, lose pungency, it does.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Wow thanks for the info. guys! This is awesome! Cosmic, really informative stuff! I bought 2 tins of Robert McConnell - Glen Piper which is an aromatic and I shall cellar one of these babies! And cigrmaster.......I'm drooling!!! Just don't tell folk where you live lol!!!!!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but have been smoking for a good 7 years. Just thought I'd chime in regarding the aging of English blends. I absolutely regret purchasing so many English blends when I first started this hobby. I read about how well they age and I went overboard with storing a vast array of English/Balkan blends. I have recently opened several tins of blends with 7-10 yrs on them and I have met each and everyone of them with great disappointment. I guess I fall under the camp that likes their Latakia sharp and pungent but I find most of my aged English blends to be flat and void of character. I now only purchase English blends to be in my cellar for 3 years tops and my tins that I'm aging now tend to be a Virginia forward blends only. Anyway, I wish I would have researched it a bit more before I got carried away but back then it didn't seem that many people were speaking out about Latakia and it's poor aging characteristics (in my opinion) and it seems that the people that do speak about it these days are labeled "minions" or "sheeple". Kind of funny really. End the end, it really is so subjective, you really need to find these things out for yourself but educating yourself never hurts.
Happy cellaring!
Dave

May 31, 2012
End the end, it really is so subjective, you really need to find these things out for yourself but educating yourself never hurts.
True that.
- - - - - -
And an overall great post Dave!
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Well done.
Welcome to the forums!

:puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cortez,
You won't live long enough to smoke all that stuff, you old fart.

Just make sure the kids know what it's worth.
I may be an old fart, but if I don't finish all my tobacco, my kids know exactly where they need to sell it and that it could be worth a small fortune.
davedan, I am not worried about people knowing where I live because I have given peck's location to all the theives I know as he has three times as much as me.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have a small cellar of about 60 tins, and my wife hates it. If I had a collection like cigrmaster I'd be divorced or dead. 8O As for my cellar I have a variety of blends tucked away. Some are favorites, and others are just blends I haven't got around to opening.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
How do you guys date your tins? I assume just with a permanent Sharpie pen....just the month and year? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.