PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I started smoking a pipe in 2005 for about a year and then gave it up. In that time I managed to cellar a pretty healthy (to me) amount of tobacco. I returned to pipe smoking earlier this year and because of this I find myself in a pretty unique situation. I have some sealed tins from 2006, and I also have some mason jars that have been filled with tins opened fresh in 2006. These jars have been open and closed maybe 10 times over the course of a year and have been sealed since maybe 2007. I've read numerous times that once the tin is cracked the aging process stops. I've also read that it doesn't stop, but changes. Well I've compared bulk tobacco (sealed for 8 years compared to open and closed for a year and then sealed since) and cannot tell the difference. Both were very good and was definitely better to me than fresh.

Saturday I smoked the last bowl of 8 year old Nightcap that was opened 8 years ago. Today I plan on cracking an 8 year old tin of Nightcap and seeing if I can tell any difference from a bowl I smoked 3 days ago.

If I had thought if his sooner I could have done a side by side comparison. Taken pics. Hindsight yada yada.

Then I realized I have some Penzance with the same circumstances. I have a sealed tin from 2006 and about a half tin from the same year that's been sealed in a mason jar and has been exposed to new air several times over the course of a year and then put away until now. I even have some fresh on hand thanks to rsuninv (you are an inspiration). I was planning on putting it up on the trading block after I had become eligible next month as I'm not the biggest fan of the Penzance. However, I have decided to see what differences I could notice, if any, between the 3 samples.

Sorry for the long write up. On to my question. What's the best way to do a side by side comparison? Actually going back and forth between 3 different pipes in one session? Back to back bowls of the different samples? Using the same pipe and resting it for a day, which would lead to what would seem to be a long time between samples?

Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't done any closely controlled comparisons, though it sounds interesting, if

time consuming to get it all right. However, I can say that I have smoked several batches

of tobacco that were not stored properly but that still provided an excellent smoke, perhaps

better than when originally opened. That is why I suggest trying "dried out" tobacco before

re-humidifying it. It may be fine the way it is.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
There are many permutations for setting up a scientific comparison study if that's your goal. For me, I'd start with the newest tins and work my way to the oldest. I'm not sure if using the same pipe is necessary. I'd change pipes so you don't get the taste from a prior smoke that could affect your impressions.

Have fun with your experiment and do take notes. No doubt an aged unopened tin will be very different from a fresh tin and one that has been opened and aged as well. It seems to me that you have a potential of 3 different experiences with the same blend so it should be interesting for you.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
In my experience tins age better/faster just because of how compact the tobacco is in them + the quality of the seal. I am on a 3-year tinned Nightcap rotation and the tobacco is excellent. I am sure if you can jam the bulk tobacco into a Ball jar tight enough, the result will be the same.
I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between tin and jar aged for 8 years. I think both of them should have reached peak a long time ago.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy eightyone... actually, if you remove tobacco from a sealed tin and place it in a Mason jar, and store the jars in a cool, dry environment, the aging process should continue for many years. And all tobacco blends age a bit differently, depending on the ingredients. As an example, a quality Virginia blend can continue to age well for 20 years or more. Latakia, on the other hand, tends to lose its heavy flavor after x amount of years. I've smoked 20 year old Nightcap that was heavenly, perhaps because the Latakia had mellowed to the point where other flavors came to the forefront. It sounds to me like you have a lot of nicely aged tobacco in your "cellar." Good for you and enjoy!
Pipestud

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Alright i got a little lazy, and thought that too many days had passed, and have too many open blends already, so i decided to skip the Nightcap and go straight for the Penzance. I want to start by saying the biggest thing I learned was that I SUCK at comparing blends. Also this experiment was for personal use and the sample size was very small, so take this all for what it's worth.

Fresh Penzance:

image69-600x450.jpg

It got broken up in transit. I also suck at reviews, but it was mild, creamy, sweet. Hint of tea and a little smokey. It also got better throughout the bowl. Tin note was more smokey than sweet. After 2 bowls I decided I knew I liked the 8 year old stuff sitting in my mason jar better and had enough of the new stuff. Decided to put the rest in another jar and let it age.

8 year old Penzance sitting in a jar:

image70-600x450.jpg

Tin note was more sweet than smokey, opposite of the fresh stuff. Maybe a little fruity and a little 'fumey' if that makes any sense. The only way I could describe it was that maybe it was more sweeter and smokier than the fresh stuff, but at the same time more muted, toned down, mellow. Very confused at this point. I think I like fresh Penzance better than aged. But mind you I know I'm not the biggest Penzance fan, or Cyprian Latakia fan for that matter. Maybe the mellowness was due to the fact that it was my 2nd bowl of the day (the 1st being fresh Penzance). The next day I had my 2nd bowl of this sample (first bowl of the day) and got pretty much the same result. Huh, I'll be damned...

8 year old tin opening:

image71-600x450.jpg

image72-600x450.jpg

image74-600x450.jpg

image75-600x450.jpg

Some kind of oily, residue, condensate...

image73-600x450.jpg

image76-600x450.jpg

image81-600x450.jpg

Aged sample from the jar is smaller, probably due to loss of moisture from repeated openings

image78-600x450.jpg

Seems to have gotten a lot darker in the jar too

image80-600x450.jpg

Tin note smells like any other run of the mill English blend. Many Englishes smell the same to me, and I got more Latakia scents than the sweet or smokeyness of the other 2. Room note was the biggest difference I noticed, got hints of graham cracker? At this point this is my 5th bowl in a row of Penzance, 2nd of the day (1st being the aged/jarred). I usually never have 2 consecutive bowls of a blend, i don't think I've ever had 3. I really don't know how else to describe this 3rd version of the same blend. I will continue to go back and forth between the blends, but I don't think I'll have much to add to this. Perhaps someone with a more discerning palate will want me to send them some of the 2 differently aged samples?

I guess in conclusion, I like the fresh Penzance better than either of the aged. That is not to say I don't like aged tobacco. Perhaps I will continue to compare other blends like this, but it will be for personal use (which this is). But if I had to choose right now between the 2 aged blends, I would pick the freshly opened tin. What I can take away from this little experiment of mine is that, for me, aging does work better in a sealed tin, and once opened and transferred to a jar, I should try to smoke it sooner rather than later or trying to age it more.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Tin note was more sweet than smokey, opposite of the fresh stuff. Maybe a little fruity and a little 'fumey' if that makes any sense. The only way I could describe it was that maybe it was more sweeter and smokier than the fresh stuff, but at the same time more muted, toned down, mellow.
That's pretty much how aging goes.
Thanks for the pics, is this rust on the inside of the tin?! I've had this tin of Penzance for a few years, I think I may finally pop it open before it's too late :)

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Not rust. Not sure what it was. Moist, oily/greasy condensate maybe... Like the tobacco was sweating oil or something.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
Congratulations on your stash of aged tobacco.
I suspect there are benchmark years in the aging process. Something like the first 2-5 years, then 5-10, then 11-20. The idea being that perceptible changes are determined by the sensitivity of the smoker's palate as well as the physical & chemical changes to the tobacco.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
eightywon - popped my tin and been smoking for a couple of days now. Even though mine has less age on it (maybe 5 years tops) - I have to fully agree with your review of being on the mellow side. I think I would like fresh Penzance much better myself, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.