PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I'm going to be honest, I did not care for this blend initially. I received a tin in an order about a year ago along with several other samplers and gave each a fair chance through several bowls in different pipes. This blend seemed a little moist out of the tin and really did nothing for me. It burned a little hot and wet. The majority of the tin ended up in a mason jar in the cellar in the shadow of the other blends that I found to be much more enjoyable and has been there for about a year now. On a whim, I decided I'd give it another shot while listening to the debate this evening and was shocked at what a great smoke it was. I immediately noted how the blend had dried some. I almost thought it was too dry when i loaded the bowl, but I soon found that it was "just right" (for this blend at least). I'm not sure of the chemistry behind the improvement, but the blend had developed a very sweet flavor that was all but non existent straight out of the tin a year ago. A flavor that I don't always find in an aromatic. Although I wouldn't describe much of a vanilla flavor, I would agree with the "cream" part of the name. I can't put my finger on what it reminded me of, roasted marshmallows maybe. It lit and burned dry and cool requiring only one relight at the very bottom of the bowl. I'm no seasoned pipe smoker so I won't even try to describe the experience in detail but I can assure you that this aged sample I have won't last long now that I've discovered it. I know that Virginias really benefit from aging and I have a considerable stash of FVF that consistently improves with time IMO. This aromatic doesn't have the best reviews on tobaccoreviews.com and if I had given a review after my first few experiences with it, I would have had to agree with those reviews. However, my opinion of it has greatly improved with time just as the tobacco has. I will be reluctant to ever trade or discard a blend that I don't like initially without jarring it for a few months first after this experience.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I have 3 in the cellar right now. Some people will say that aros don't benefit from aging but I believe if they are mainly VA based they will definitely benefit.

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
Having just mailed off a bunch of aged samples of aromatics, I can also attest that the extra time in a cellar makes them dry to the point that they are smokeable without problem. I also thought some were too dry, but they smoked just fine. I noticed that the Boswell blends were still very wet even after 2 years in jars. My favorite blends after aging? Mac Baren 7 seas gold and Dan tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. Both are blends heavy in Virginia.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I had the same experience with my MacB VCF. Much better after a year of sitting.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Mac B's vanilla flake is good stuff. I am almost finished with a tin. I have a tin of the loose cut I picked up about a year ago waiting for me! Good to hear a little age is good or better from some one else.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
When it comes to aging aromatics or a tobacco with a prominent casing, you just have to remember that if the flavouring is your favourite part then it will become subtler and more restrained with time. It will have less vanilla punch with every passing month to the point that just a faint scent remains... (If you age it long enough)

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
When it comes to aging aromatics or a tobacco with a prominent casing, you just have to remember that if the flavouring is your favourite part then it will become subtler and more restrained with time. It will have less vanilla punch with every passing month to the point that just a faint scent remains... (If you age it long enough)
Sounds like my kind of aro!!

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
I had a similar experience with other people in this thread. I bought a tin of this loose cut in 2004, i think. I forgot about it until recently when unpacking some old pipe stuff. Either my tastes have changed or the drying and time has really helped this tobacco. It's really lovely now and i swear it tastes a bit spicier.

This is one of my current favorites that i only smoke once in a while. I'm afraid i don't want to smoke it brand new again after this lovely tin.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
I have a few cans of Vanilla Cream Loose Cut squirreled away. I typically enjoy the blend, but sometimes, I am ho-hum about it. When aging tinned tobacco, I am assuming you are cracking the seal on the tin to let the tin breathe? Thanks, Jeff

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Jeff,
I personally would not crack the tin. I don't see why the tobacco needs to breathe. That would actually stop the aging process that was underway the whole time, and it may/may not start back up again.
Along the same lines as what I said above, a lot of what we talk about when we talk about aging aromatics is simply the evaporation of casing and humectant. There may be some improvement of the base tobacco itself, but I would think that the additional processing and additives would render aromatics a lot less ageworthy. (Don't get me wrong, I realize that most pipe tobaccos are heavily cased and processed, but there is no mistaking a straightforward flake cased with sugar water for an over the top aro)
The only aromatics I have tasted with age have gotten bland, whereas a straight VA or Va/per has undergone a pretty radical change for the better in the same amount of time.
Try McClelland 5100 today alongside your MacBaren Vanilla, and again in one year, and you'll see what I mean...
I think there will be a much more noticeable change with the straight VA.
Again, I give the proviso that if you think a casing is too over the top fresh, then age will most certainly lessen that and you will be left with a more palatable blend...
(Think about Haddo's Delight - quality VA and burley, heavy rum topping, strong levels of perique; the tobacco will mature, the casing will subside, and the perique will mellow - not to mention that the whole blend will marry... This is a blend that many find NEEDS a bit of aging to be at its best)

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Simenon and Rothnh- Thanks for your perspectives. I am going to take you up on aging some VA.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
When aging tinned tobacco, I am assuming you are cracking the seal on the tin to let the tin breathe?

As mentioned, it's a no-no. And yes, MacBaren Vanilla Cream ages pretty well. I have several tins of Loose Cut slowly aging away. :puffy:
Jeff,

Buy two tins each time you buy something. Or, when buying bulk, put some in a jar to store away in the cellar immediately. That way you slowly build up a cellar. Then if you find something you like, buy a couple more just for the cellar. When you have an empty tin, open one, buy two more. Etc, etc, etc.. before you know it, you have a respectable amount stashed away.

Good luck cellaring
PS: Write a date on anything you get right away ;-)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Jeff,
I have found that the sweetness of straight VA delivers the most enjoyable experience of all pipe tobaccos; I hope that you can find one that you like fresh, and I hope you like it even better with time!
By the way, not to discourage you with aging the MacBaren Vanilla Cream - it could be great for all I know. If it gives you some smoking pleasure then that is what counts...
I've been thinking about putting away some Erinmore Flake to see what it is like down the road with the fruity casing more in the background.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I have a pound aging. I get a tin from my B&M when its available and use that as my smoke when i need it.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
@roth- nice to hear as i have a tin sitting in the cellar now aging. Think i will pick up another at the B&M when i visit this week.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
I got a tin of the vanilla cream loose cut and a tin of flake, and I liked the loose cut pretty good when I first smoked it, but I jared it for a couple months and it mellowed out and smokes so good now. The tin of flake I got was about a year old when I got it from this small shop in the stixs of upstate NY so its got a pretty good age on it. I perfer the loose cut on the bottom of the bowl and cube cut flake on top. The two mixed is by far my favorite way to smoke them.

Status
Not open for further replies.