Tags:  No tags yet. 

Aged Tins and Planes

(16 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by brooklynpiper
  • Latest reply from crashthegrey
  1. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

I've got some twenty year old tins I'm wanting to open on vacation. I probably won't finish them over the duration of the trip.

Will anything weird happen to open aged tins if I brought them back on the plane with me? I don't know about science, but I want to check before anything weird happens.

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

robcapp

Login to Send PM

Depends on the type of tin.
    If you have a round, screw top style tin.... tighten firmly by hand, and put it in your check in luggage.... it will vacuum seal itself. (Provided you left the rubber gasket clean and free of debris)

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't hesitate to take them. What is your selections?

I wish you and your tins a safe trip!

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How are you taking the tins with you? If they are okay getting there, they should be fine getting back.

Unless the TSA worker checking your bag is a pipe smoker.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How could they be harmed? Once you open the tin the aging processes stop but otherwise what could happen?

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 2 months ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What could happen? The could explode in flight if they were in checked baggage, and had been opened, then retopped. Not real dramatic, more like a poop with the lid coming off and tobacco spilling out

I'd open them now, smoke a touch, and jar them up in small Mason jars. But not necessary.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you run this experiment, tell us the results, the "data." I'd guess not much will happen. Tins put out a little psssst when the vacuum seal is broken, but it's not like a pressure cooker exploding, since the pressure isn't that great. I've popped temporary caps on gingerale or sparkling wine that makes more noise than that.

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been travelling for years with opened tins in my check-in luggage. I don't even put them in baggies and usually wrap them in spare beach towels that I always carry for this. Nothing weird has ever happened. You are carrying (for now, anyway), a legal substance and if a TSA agent does happen to open your luggage and twist open an unsealed tin, just hope he twists it shut again after examining the contents.

If you carry sealed or unsealed tins in your carry on luggage with your pipes, expect to be pulled out of the TSA line and have them go over the pipes and run some kind of chemical wand over the tins. I've had this happen half a dozen or so times as pipes can look like small pistols on the screen according to TSA. Once they see the tobacco, naturally they want to have a look at that, too. I still put my pipes in carry on luggage, but not tobacco.

I have a theory - no proof - but I think the reason why (particularly rectangle factory sealed tins) sometimes arrive unsealed after air transport is because checked luggage is kept in a non-pressurized environment during flight. The changes in air pressure (I believe), is what causes the tins to lose their vacuum. And of course, the older the tin the bigger the chance. I can't count the times over the years that I've had old factory vacuum sealed tins shipped to me for consignment sales and when I open the boxes, I find an old tin that has lost its seal but the tobacco is still moist, an indicator that the tin was shipped still factory sealed but didn't hold up to the air pressure changes.

Pipestud
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was referring to tins that have been opened and lids put back on. Just a bit of a piffle, but the top could pop off, tobacco spilling out and drying mightily due to low humidity at altitude. So, no big whoops.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipestud, your theory is sound with regard to unpressurized compartments and tins.

JP, a poof indeed. I just carry my tins in my carry-on luggage. No problems, open or otherwise.

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Airlines don't do unpressurized compartments, unless the entire aircraft is unpressurized. The cargo compartments pressurize and depressurize the same as the passenger compartment; they just don't get the same level of heating/cooling/airflow as the passenger cabin because they're packed full of baggage. That's why occasionally some poor pet, usually one with breathing difficulties, runs short of oxygen and suffocates.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  12. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I put my travel tobacco back in their original tins (reused) for air-travel, always in my checked luggage, never had a lid pop. I'm always afraid the TSA is going to question the tobacco in a small mason jar.

Al

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

eslavs

Login to Send PM

I've traveled with pipes and pipe tobacco in my carry on multiple times, and have yet to have TSA snoop through it. I haven't brought tins though, usually small Ball jars.

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. patiobum

patiobum

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I place each opened tin in its own zip lock baggie, in the event the lid may come off.

Carry tins in my carry on bag without any problem.

cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.......

martin
    Posted 2 months ago #
  15. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

As patiobum suggested, placing the tin in a ziplock bag will keep the tobacco from spilling out if the lid pops open but I doubt that will happen.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never had any problems with sealed age tins but they have always been carry on.

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cigrmaster, ben88, renfield, szconrad, paulfg, upnorth1, canadianpuffer, pipesmoker30, hoosierpipeguy