PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Over the last few months I've become a bit of a St. Bruno Flake addict and I've cellared many tins of the stuff. For those of you who may have smoked this with 5 or more years of age, what do you think? Does the flavor hold up? Do you think it improves, stays the same, or perhaps goes downhill a bit? Thanks for any information.

James

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I can’t give you anything from my own personal experience but I’ve heard from others that it holds up extremely well with time. Some of my friends said that the aged St. Bruno that they tried was the finest smoke they’ve ever had and I’ve heard several others say the same. I buy the he RR in large quantities to smoke now and I buy the Flake to cellar. Because the flavorings are actually steamed into the leaf I really don’t think it will dissipate over time like a normal aromatic that has been topped. I’ve just recently been gifted a sample of Condor Plug from 1985 and the flavors are still in place just like a fresh plug. You’ll get a two year head start as all of the tins I’ve seen so far where tinned in Jan of 2016!

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Thanks for the info, Hawky. I do believe all the tins I have are from Jan 2016 too. I just put in another order a few minutes ago. God help me.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
James72: Here is one who lately had become a devotee for St Bruno, although I avoid smoking it too much for certain obvious reasons.As for the aging,I have reason to believe it'll ages well similarly to any virginia forward blend,though this blend has dark fired Kentucky as condiment leaf in there.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hahaha! I know the feeling, it hurts now but in five years from now you’ll be happy you made this decision when ya did. I’m going to chill out on buying Condor Plug for now and stick with cellaring St. Bruno Flake as well. Condor Plug is getting to expensive for my blood so I’m glad I stocked up on a bunch when I did. In two months time it went from $250 per 500 grams shipped to $262! St. Bruno is so much cheaper comparatively, I like ordering through SP as they give ya the extra discount when ordering large quantities. Good to have another Bruno head and we both live in the same city (well, almost). We’ll definitely have to meet up for a smoke one of these days.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Thanks Paulie. Besides the dark fired Kentucky, I'm pretty sure there's what we call "crack" in it too. Makes it extra good for us Texans.

Hawky, I used my 20% coupon from P&C and got it for $11.56 a tin, which is pretty awesome. Through some sort of skullduggery I was able to get a bunch for $10.73 a couple of weeks ago. Of course that won't happen again. We'll get together soon. I caught the flu on Dec 26th and am still fighting a lingering cough.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When St Bruno came out in April of 2016 I grabbed a bunch of tins. I smoked some fresh and enjoyed it but I did not open any more tins knowing that age would really benefit this stuff. I plan on opening a tin once it hits 2 years old to see how it is aging.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've smoked aged SB and it does age well. It's a blend you can buy with confidence.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Thanks for the input, guys. I feel better about my recent stockpiling now.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I came across about a dozen tins of 15 or so year old tins of St. Bruno a while back at a local B&M. It never was my cup of tea but it was certainly very smokable. I wouldn't be a bit concerned about the tobacco's safely in the tin.
Mike S.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Years back, I really enjoyed St Bruno to break things up on occasion. I have about a 1/2 pound of St Bruno Flake and another 1/2 of the St Bruno Ready-Rub (bulk) which I jarred up back in 2010. A UK friend from another pipesmokers forum sent me some years ago. I dipped into the flake about a year ago and really enjoyed it. Although it's not overly ghosting I keep a seperate pipe for it. Or pack some in a hillbilly cob.
It was almost impossble to get it here in the states and it was Rich from 4 Noggins who took the plunge, acquired it and started selling it in the US, Canada, etc

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I came across about a dozen tins of 15 or so year old tins of St. Bruno a while back at a local B&M. It never was my cup of tea but it was certainly very smokable. I wouldn't be a bit concerned about the tobacco's safely in the tin.

I think I would have pooped my pants if I came across such a find! Wow!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've smoked 30 and 40+ year old St Bruno. The blend holds up surprisingly well. I don't think of it as something that improves with age, but as something that doesn't go to hell with age. My gripe with the MacBaran version is that the overall balance isn't as nuanced as the Ogden version. The underlying tobaccos that Odgen used seemed a bit smoother. And the more recent shipments seem to have less punch than the UK market stuff that I was getting just a few years ago. All that said, I still love St Bruno.

Reactions: TheWhale13

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
And the more recent shipments seem to have less punch than the UK market stuff that I was getting just a few years ago. All that said, I still love St

I've heard others say exactly the same thing so I went out of my way to get both the American and British marketed St. Bruno Flake to compare them back to back. To my palate they they were identical in every way, the only difference was the container they were kept in.
I have recently tried some St. Bruno from the 80's thanks to a kind forum member here. It was of the Ready Rubbed variety and it was more of a shag cut than the Ready Rub you'll see on the market today. Anyway, the sample I tried was not kept well and had been dried out for a long time as the seal of the tin had breached over the years. I didn't really pick up on the casing at all but the base tobaccos were quite well preserved. It reminded me of GH&Co's Dark Birds Eye more than the current St. Bruno. The Ogdens St. Bruno that came in the cutter top tins is the stuff that aged extraordinarily well. I imagine if the new stuff, if kept properly will be just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.