PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I have always been under the impression despite what I know what people on this forum say, regarding pipe filters. A lot I learned from my Dad,(who used them) and his father before him. I use them as often as I can, fearing the tar and nicotine buildup in the stem and bad taste. However lately it seems that they are more harm than good. I mostly smoke fully bent pipes and notice that the crappy buildup is increasing especially around the filter. I cant seem keep the pipe fromtastingsour. I cleaned it, even did the salt/alcohol treatment. To live a little daring I took thefilter out and smoked it. Wow. First I am convinced now that the sour taste is a result of the filter. The smoke just doesn t get throuhg and leaves a tremendous build up around the filter. Yes I had to change my tecnique a bit. Also I hardly rotate pipes at all. What could happen? Now I do rotate them and they seem to smoke better. Of course I still have my favorite pipe. ANYONE"S COMMENT???

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Sounds like you have it all figured out, there is a reason why most of us dont use filters

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
dont bother with the filters the tar and nicotine they collect is negligible. your not inhaling so it should not be a concern as long as you have good dental hygiene. just more money to spend on something which is not necessary.

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
Use them occasionally in my Brigham's but have quit them in other pipes, my Savs and cobs. :puffy:

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Sounds like you have it all figured out, there is a reason why most of us dont use filters
+1! Filters become a pain and unless you pull your pipes apart to change them out on a fairly regular basis (depending on the filter system) they can go sour quick. Just get a decent rotation and toss the filter :puffy:

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
If you decide to not use the filter, use a good adapter. One of the funny/scam things about the filter pipes is that they have a bigger airway to allocate the filter, and to compensate the obstruction, so it brings a lot more smoke in one puff. Another thing that you will notice, it's that you tend to smoke a lot faster a filtered pipe, because you are drawing stronger, and you have to smoke more often to keep it lit.
Adapted filter pipes give me a rough throat and filtered ones, sometimes go well, but sometimes not.
I think it is better to either use pipes designed to be without filter, which have narrow stems and airways, and smoke them slowly as a good pipe can allow you.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
A filter is meant to exclude things from the finished product that were present before the filter was applied. I would rather taste all components of the tobacco, briar and flame combination. This is the same reason why amongst the most heralded beer, wine and spirits you will rarely find one that has been heavily filtered. You take away too many flavour components in the name of a less cloudy product. I will take the clouds, the tars, the nicotine etc, and all that they have to offer. If I did not enjoy them I would simply not smoke rather than filter that smoke.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Definitely toss the filters, and clean your every so often, and you will enjoy your pipe that much more. I use a stem adapter in my filter pipes to keep tobacco particles from making a clog point, and I bought a forever stem for my cobs that does the same. I would only leave the filter in a corncob that came with a filter, because you WILL suck ash like coke through a straw if you remove it.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
My first corncob pipe had a filter. It tasted like crap. One day, I junked the filter and noticed a significant improvement in taste and airflow. Now I love my cobs. I won't pass judgment on all filtration systems, as the only filtered pipes I've owned were cobs. Let's just say I've heavily biased against them.
I'm glad your pipes are smoking better for you. I think pipe filters are proof that sometimes a "little too much" can mire the effectiveness of what is a relatively simple and fantastically pleasing instrument.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I use filters to soak up moisture. I don't believe for one second they're doing anything to remove tar from the smoke. If you're going to use filters, they should be replaced after each use. I've heard people say they reuse them, but, having looked at them after one smoke, I wouldn't.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Im Split. I dont use filters at all. Mostly because I think Im too lazy to stop at the drug store to buy them. I got a new Sav and it came with a filter. I smoked it a few times and tossed the nasty thing. I hate sucking hot ash and crap at the end of my bowl when smoking one of my two cobs though.I was thinking of getting some filters to see if they prevented my burning of the throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.