PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I took a promotion at work, that also came with a caveat, my shift moved to 2:30-10:30. As a morning person, it's thrown me right off, and I get unbelievably bored. Seriously, I am going crazy.
/rant

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Its hard to change your patterns, but eventually you'll adjust.

One time I transferred from an afternoon shift to a 5 am start, and I'm not a morning person.

After a month or two, I just got used to it.

Still sucked though. :D

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I'm in hobbies corner, Even going to bed at 12-1 am, I am waking up a 5 and being bored to bat shit crazy for 9 hours. Not to mention tired, all I can hope for is for my performance to slip enough that I get demoted/ fired.
Edit: I should mention that I've been in my new position for 5 weeks now, and am still unable to sleep more than 4-5 hours! Bonus: I have tons of time to smoke my pipes.

Jul 15, 2011
My shift at the restaurant is similar to yours. Go in at 4 for prep work, dinner service starts at 7, work until the restaurant closes at 10, and spend anywhere from 1-2 hours cleaning up. Ive been doing it for years, ever since I got out of high school. Gives me time to smoke a pipe before I go to work, and by the time I get home, the roommates are in bed, so I am left to my own devices to smoke another 2-3 pipes, work on refurbishing pipes, or whatever suits me. :puffy:

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I'm gonna be the devils advocate and say that I would love to have a job schedule like that! But thats also cause I love to stay up later and all that fun stuff, so it sorta fits in my lifestyle. Sorta.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
As anything but a morning person, I always preferred working afternoons. Sadly, I can't convince the rest of the business world to conform to my ideal shift; leaving me to toil from 7:30am until often midnight, unfortunately.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
...I have done swing shifts before and you get used to it
The last five years I was driving trucks over the road. The only pattern I have now is I will sleep 4-8 hours after I close my eyes. That can be 2 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon, and that can change at the drop of a hat. I might stay up until 4 am for a few days, then wake up at 4 am for a few.

Even now that I'm not working, I cant keep any rhyme or reason to a sleep schedule.

fulton

Lurker
Mar 6, 2011
Saginaw,Michigan
I am in the same boat 3pm - 12am. The few comforts I've found are plenty of time in the morning for a smoke, and great story podcasts with a bowl on the way home.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
10PM-7AM or later for the last 5 years here. The hours could be better, but what really sucks is having to always work weekends and holidays.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
ya i work at mcdonalds and usually work the late shift, well this saturday and next friday im working early, i have to be there around 6 in the morning.which sucks for me because i am not a morning person. but i guess it good because that means they like me and want me to know everything

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I used to work three shifts but I decided working normal hours is better for my daily rhythm. I did that at a time when it was stilled allowed to smoke at your desk. Sadly I didn't smoke pipes back then - it would have made for a relaxing night shift.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Marmal I'm happy and sad for you. :D :crying:

That's what you do in between cups of coffee. 8O
sleep.gif
8O

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I'm happily retired now, however, the last five years of my employment was with the Internal Revenue Service on a 4:30PM to 1:00 shift. It absolutely sucked. My advice is to always enjoy your morning pipe, whenever you arise and to be sure to enjoy your last evening pipe as well, always, before you retire. I arrived home from work at 1:20AM but always enjoyed my last bowl before commencing my sleep for the night. Sometimes I rested with my pipe until 3:00 AM and always found that my biological clock adjusted to the rhythm of my pipe. Good fortune on your employment, good luck in your promotion, and good smoking with your favorite pipe and tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.