PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
You guys have given some great encouragement over the past couple of years which I appreciate very much- I thought I'd share a few of my latest-
The first is a definite departure from anything I've done before- a Japanese inspired volcano with bamboo, SEM hand cut Cumberland, and garnet...Thought this one came together rather well...

1z3qp8x.jpg

...and this Dublin with cocobolo accent and amber tortoise stem...

34rcbom.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Both nice but that Dublin made me hide my wallet! Nice watching your journey along the way and smoking some of your pipes too. Regards.

banjo

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Zach, two GREAT looking pipes, that Dublin is FANTASTIC, love the angle at the shank end of the bowl!

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Great looking pipes Zack, as always. Great detail of carving the bamboo knuckle on the stummel and attaching them together without a transition peice in between. To me these small details make a huge difference in the overall look. The stem work and adornments just bring it all together terrifically. The same can be said for the dublin. Love seeing your work!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Absolutely gorgeous! Both of them!...Courageous effort on the Volcano, and I bet the picture doesn't do that one the justice it deserves.

Zak, have you made any pipes that are NOT unique in design?...like, for instance a traditional shape?

Not that you've got anything to prove...especially to me..it's just a question that popped into an empty head.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks guys! Those were fun...

@fishbanjo-
that Dublin made me hide my wallet
temptation is a terrible thing...:)

@nola cajun
...can't wait to see what you bring to New Orleans
I'm bringing the lovely Greta- anything else is icing on the cake...!

@antbauers
Great detail of carving the bamboo knuckle on the stummel
That's one of those details that takes almost as long as making the pipe...

@newbroom
have you made any pipes that are NOT unique in design?...like, for instance a traditional shape?
Quite a few- thinking about an all briar billiard with a mexican amber stem insert- I also suspect I'll be making a few authors this year to practice for the KC show...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To my amazement, the garnet work. Do not try this at home. Beautiful work.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The Dublin is exceptional. You really captured the grain and the stem compliments the pipe perfectly. The shank treatment is very interesting. You nailed that one. My compliments.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
To my amazement, the garnet work.
I've seen the faceted garnets used on a few pipes and that never really worked for me- something about the manufactured look of a faceted gem and the organic shape of a pipe clash a little...I ended up getting these round stones from Thailand and really like the look- I may bring in some bigger ones for single accents....Also have some Blue Sapphire I'll be using in the next few weeks...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Can't wait to hold that Dublin in my hand! Damn you.

Hate it when that happens!...With your luck, you'll probably win the bag of Stonehaven also...

Status
Not open for further replies.