PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm proceding here from a possibly unwarranted assumption--that most pipers collect or own say, a dozen or more pipes. In considering why so many of us get more pipes than we actually need, and often get unusual shapes (I've been on a Nording binge of late), first made me realize our passion for pipes is in part aesthetic, determined by the appearance of the pipe itself, as well as its smoking qualities. While most of my pipes are traditional billiards, many of them are abstract pieces of art, this has lead me to wonder, are my fellow members here fans of the arts? Do you collect books on art, read literature, purchase reproductions of genuine artworks and so forth?

I set up my pipe racks on a table that someone refered to as a "pipe shrine," since it displayed not only my pipes, but many statuettes. So what is your story? Is your inclination toward the art devoted to just pipes, or does it go beyond that?

img_1195-600x450.jpg

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have purposely limited my self to 12 briars..... Maybe 14. Anyway I smoke one bowl a day and I want them all to be sublime.
I have gone through many many pipes to get to my current rotation. So far, so good.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I've collected 12 quite different pipes. I am motivated mainly by function first, but beauty as well in most of them. I figure 12 is enough for any one person unless you are buying for collecting purposes. I don't collect art but I do very much love music and am very deeply into music both its creation and reproduction.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do not display my pipes for others or myself. The one I am smoking is in my mouth, the others are on racks in a back room. I limit myself to no more than thirty, a mix of briers and meers. As you may have read, I consider cobs to be disposables and keep a few on hand for using in the field and shop.
While I recognize the artistry of some carvers I do not look at pipes as an art form. To me they are simply a nicotine delivery system capable of certain aesthetics, but not viewed as works of art. I will readily admit to some exceptions of course.
My interest in art is limited to the works of certain water colorists, some fellow photographers and two or three, now deceased, oil painters. With regard to reproductions, I collect limited edition lithographs by Fred Machetanz and numbered prints, signed.
edit: Do not misunderstand me though. I view some carvers as outstanding artisans and craftsmen.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
To me there is a distinction. To me the artisan creates functional beauty, pipes, automobiles, weapons, wine, and so forth, all with in the confines of functionality. The artist creates something new, individual and from the mind. A distinction without a difference? To some maybe. This is why I do not consider singers, musicians or actors to be artists, virtuosos maybe but, certainly not artists. It's strictly a personal definition, not to be understood by any others or even debated.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, let's see. Since I've made my living as an artist and artisan for 45 years, 38 of them working in film and TV, I'd guess that I have a slight involvement with and connection to the arts.

I've had a deep connection to music, going back to toddler hood. My folks took me to a lot of concerts when I was a kid, Artur Rubenstein, Igor Stravinski, Vladimir Horowitz, etc so I got a lot of exposure to music. After much pleading I took piano lessons and even made a few bucks playing ragtime in a pizza joint.

I collect books, originally to help with my work in films and TV, later just to have some signed books by favorite authors.

I definitely have a passion for pipes and an interest in the history of the trade. A fair number of my pipes are pretty old, the oldest being 1882.

As for the differences between an artist and an artisan, you can't be a good artist without having chops, which translates as also being an artisan. You can be a very fine artisan without being an artist. One is about technical skill. The other is about inspiration.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I like mid-century modern American factory made pipes, give or take ten years on either side. As far as art, I like my paintings Renaissance and my music Baroque.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
All Zulus, all the time. Favor smooth with as much bird's eye as possible. From commission to $100.00 factory pipes. I have more pipes than most, and less than some. Love vintage and antique acrutromonts. Like to have my favorites out on display in full effect.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Now I own about 66 pipes, many done by myself, made or purchased for aesthetic reasons.

There are thousands of people manufacturing classic pipes, my interest in carving briar started from the desire to make something new, original, artistic if possible.

I was born in Florence, right under the cathedral's shadow, and every time I cross the city streets I get always astonished from its beauties.

As a child I wrote poems and painted till the age of fifteen. I studied literature and played saxophone.

Now I still love every kind of art and music and I have materialized my artistic side in pipe carving.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
To me the artisan creates functional beauty, pipes, automobiles, weapons, wine, and so forth, all with in the confines of functionality. The artist creates something new, individual and from the mind.
I tend to agree. However, I'd add to it this: the artist creates something that is also true where an artisan decorates. Great art brings out truths of life and profundities of existence. Artisans make life more pleasant by showing us aesthetic possibilities, but they do not necessarily evoke a sense of being visionary.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I own less than a dozen pipes, but still own more than I need. The reason I have so many is I was exploring what worked best for me whilst progressing through the operational learning curve. None of mine cost more than £25, and all were bought brand new. This includes 5 cobs, 2 MM hardwoods, and 4 cheap briar.
I have two smart looking Parker briars (one for English, and one for Aro) for when appearances matter, three small "short smoke" pipes (two of which are MM Mini Legends), three for general knocking about in the garden, one larger one for round the campfire, one 9mm for if a tobacco is too flavoursome for me.... and one that is as yet unsmoked. Very importantly for me, all but one are sitters - and I regret not being able to put that one down safely.
So, other than the two smart briars, I don't buy for aesthetics - I just want a pipe that works, that sits, and that doesn't cost much

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
My family are musicians, and I'm a wet-behind-the-ears Asst. Prof. of Literature at a small private university, so I do enjoy art quite a bit, but not much of the visual kind.
That's an interesting collection you have there. As far as the figurines, it looks like a blend of Greco-Roman and Christian themes, but what's the background painting? I'm having trouble placing it stylistically, though from the content it seems to draw on Vesuvius erupting or any number of fantasy stories involving a volcanoes.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I admit to having more pipes than anyone needs. The vast majority are Rhodies, Dogs and a smattering of Authors. For me it's about all the variations the carvers can come up with within that style type. In reality I smoke a dozen or so on a regular basis, the rest are just a pleasant contrast in art and craftsmanship.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What a noble lineage of tastes! I'm just a guy born inside an enclave in Detroit who had, without reason, an overwhelming interest in literature and the arts. Voorheels, love your man-den: Look at my website (PM me for that, it might break the rules if I put it here) where I have a virtual gallery of my black and white art.

Status
Not open for further replies.