PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Bought a Nording Freehand about a month ago, smoked it once and something was just off about it. Got busy and it sat around till last night smoked it again and once again something was just off. Took me 20 mins to find the hole (which is why I put NO blame on the sponsor that sold it to me, I was looking for it and couldnt find it at first the rustification hides it perfectly) that is causing the problem. In the pics below you can see a hole straight through which no matter how far the stem is in still causes leakage. So my question is do I fix it and how, or even though its been smoked twice and ordered 1 month ago see about exchanging it. Got it from a sponser of this site and know they have wonderful customer service. I just dont want to bother them if no reason.
0c8c78f0.jpg

294848e8.jpg

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Wow that sucks man ! I bet the sponsor will make it right if you want to try that route.

If you want to repair it, anything that seals the hole will work. Epoxy, wood filler, wood glue etc.

I would see what the vendor says, and go from there. I know I'd make that right if I had sold the pipe, smoked or not.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
It would bug the heck out of me knowing I got a new pipe with a hole in it. I am sure whichever sponsor you got it from will make it right.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
It would be an easy fix, but why should you fix a brand new pipe ?

I'd question the integrity of the rest of the briar, but its just as likely thats the only fatal flaw.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
It kinda makes me question the quality of both the pipe maker and the vendor. But Nording is no spring chicken and he has pretty good quality control so it may be one out a million chance of this being seen from his pipes again.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I would use a small drill bit and make the hole perfectly round. Then use a small dowel of wood to plug it. If it were an old or estate pipe. Being that it is new, send it back the sponser will with out any doubt make good on it for ya.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
question the quality of both the pipe maker and the vendor.

I wouldnt do that. Briar is a fickle beast!

The rustication is meant to cover external flaws, so obviously they saw an imperfection. The hole was probably just a sandspot from the outside, but with an unseen crater inside the shank. It was probably fine through the process of finishing and selling it, but at some point the sandspot broke loose through the crater inside. Probably when Dervis lit it up, the air pressure inside the shank dislodged it.

Whatever caused it, I doubt it was noticeable at all until the crater gave way.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
unintended carburator but you don't want to do anything but send it back IMHO.

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
Mistakes happen, even under the best of conditions.
Being you bought it from a sponsor, I'm quite sure they will make it right as I've had nothing but great service from any sponsor I have ordered from here.
Just my 2cents worth............

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Return it! I'm sure that they will have no problem exchanging it with a new one.

Does not hurt to try and fix it though.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
+1 bigmike
You deserve what you bought and the best quality control misses some.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Hmm..I thought maybe we were discussing a tricky par 3 or something. But seeing as I'm Texan I'll go along with Mick baron and lonestar.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Emailed the company Sat. with pics and what was going on. Today got a phone call apologizing and asking me to go to their site and pick out a new pipe while on the phone with them! I checked the email I sent them and never included my phone number. Now I know they just put in my email and saw I had an account with them. However that is pretty amazing to me that actual steps were taken on my behalf. We were able to work something out (not hard when they are offering you a more expensive pipe than you bought in the first place). Said my pipe would be in the mail today, to mail the broken one back when I got a chance sometime this week It is so shocking that there actually is customer service still out there. These guys are a buck or two more on some stuff than other sites but with service like that they will always have my business. Every PAD TAD attack belongs to them now.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Awesome! It is always nice to see a business that puts their customers first; unlike most these days. Glad to see everything went well.

Status
Not open for further replies.