PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I am new to pipe smoking and have learned so much from lurking on this forum so thanks to everyone for all the sharing it has been very useful.
I currently have a Peterson Dublin #68 (bent billiard). I only smoke it once or twice a week so theoretically could get away with one pipe. But, two pipes sounds better than one!
My question is: Of the various shapes of pipes how much is aesthetics and how much can alter the smoking experience?
I am currently thinking of getting something from the Rattray Lowland series. Either the straight poker or the bent calabash. Both nice looking pipes, one is similar in shape to the pipe I have and the other is very different. Since I cannot hold them in my hand it is hard to go by feel. In many ways my first pipe found me as it just felt right in the hand. My local pipe shop had some Rattray's but not this series so it would need to be a special order.
And no both is not an option (just a desire).
Thanks for your throughts.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
The overall pipe shape is mostly aesthetic. But there are a few minor issues worth considering...
1) If you tend to clench your pipe in your mouth while you type/read/walk, a bent pipe will be easier to hold in your mouth for longer periods. Obviously, the overall size and weight are important here too.
2) Strongly bent pipes can be difficult to pass a cleaner through, which makes cleaning a real chore. This is more of a problem with low-end, heavily bent pipes. Probably Rattray's pipes are fine here.
3) Really short ("nosewarmer") or really long (churchwarden) pipes will produce hotter or cooler smoke due to the smoke traveling a shorter/longer distance on its way to you. But this isn't noticeable on "normal" size pipes.
As cosmic notes, the dimensions of the bowl are a lot more important to me. But what's best there depends on personal preference and tobacco choice. If you're just starting out, it's best just to try a few different bowl sizes. You'll figure out what works for you.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Bowl size, shape, stem length, and amount of wood around the bowl will all contribute to how different tobaccos smoke in your pipe and the overall experience. Since you are new to the hobby, pick something you like and try different tobaccos to see how they smoke and if you like one over the other in a particular pipe. Have fun and buy what makes you happy...just because one tobacco may not smoke well in a pipe, doesn't mean another type won't....

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Really short ("nosewarmer") or really long (churchwarden) pipes will produce hotter or cooler smoke due to the smoke traveling a shorter/longer distance on its way to you. But this isn't noticeable on "normal" size pipes.
I disagree. It's been discussed here several times in different posts, but smoke "cooling" within the distance of a few inches isn't realistic.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I disagree. It's been discussed here several times in different posts, but smoke "cooling" within the distance of a few inches isn't realistic.
Interesting. I can't say that I've done scientific tests or anything. I don't own any churchwardens. I own only one or two little pipes and very rarely smoke them, but always found they burned rather hotter than the others. But it could be that's just other engineering differences.

I don't think anyone has done any scientific testing, but the general consensus is that with the amount of time it takes to cool the smoke and the speed in which it travels down the tube, you'd have to have a ten foot pipe to make a difference, and even then, it's not going to be cool, without adding something like ice to bring it way down to a noticeable level.

But, I just don't like the nose warmers because they just look like stumps to me. But, the last time I said I didn't like a shape or style, it ended up being my next purchase, ha ha, so I'd better knock on wood or something.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Shape is the first thing that attracts my eye in the store. The pipe must be bent to some degree for me to even consider it. An out of "balance" pipe simply will not catch my attention amongst all of the others displayed.
As an aside, as soon as the smoke leaves the point of combustion it begins to cool down. Has to! It's physics and physics don't lie! Whether or not you or, more correctly, mouth can tell the difference is the question. My reality is that I can feel the difference of the same blend temperature when contrasted between my little nose warming, silver cap and and one of my longer , more fully bent military mounts. My mouth may be more sensitive o the changes or I may be imagining the change. Either way, it is my reality. So, yes a longer travel from combustion to mouth equals cooler smoke.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I agree that a bent pipe is easier to clench. So's a saddle bit stem.

Before you get enamoured of a pipe, be sure it will accommodate how you smoke and what you like to smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Between your two choices, I'd be inclined toward the straight pipe, to balance your duet. Also, as important as shape

is, be sure to get a non-filtered or filtered pipe, depending on your preference, and if filtered, the kind of filter you

want. Any good briar pipe will make a good second purchase. As you accumulate more, if you do, you will want specific

characteristics, such as some small pipes, an extra large or two, and conical and cylindrical inside bowls for different leaf.

I think if you only buy one other pipe, a third, you ought to own a straight billiard. It's a fundamental classic design.

(I mostly buy unfiltered pipes, which are more popular in the U.S., but it's up to you, of course.)

I actually find a straight pipe easier to clench, as long it's not a heavy crowbar of a pipe. I work with one in my teeth all day long at my workbench. It's also easier to smile with a straight pipe, IMO. I'd rather show the girls a randy straight pipe, than a flaccid droopy pipe. But, maybe that's just me, ha ha. :puffy:

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Many factors are important. That is why, if I were you, I would not only but pipe #2, but also buy #'s 3-20 as well. Then you can start settling in to what you like.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Thanks everyone for your input. There are a few things mentioned here that I had not considered.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
fmgee: I'm guessing that you are now thoroughly confused and conflicted. Asking a question, usually a simple one, generates a variety of responses, which make you sift through a lot of information, learning as you go. It's a good thing I think.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Asking a question, usually a simple one, generates a variety of responses, which make you sift through a lot of information, learning as you go. It's a good thing I think.
Warren, Its a great thing. I didn't ask the question hoping for a definitive answer. I am no more confused or conflicted than when I asked so that is a good thing. If anything I know more ways to look at a pipe I am considering buying so that puts me ahead. I still have not made a decision but I don't need to rush it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Good on you! Never be in a hurry to purchase a new pipe. Unless, of course you're just grabbing a fist full of cobs for the shop or fishing. I'm pretty set in what I look for in a pipe, but it took years to establish what I really preferred with regards to shape, maker, bowl size, etc.
Now days I rarely feel the need for a new pipe. When I do, I invariable select something very close to what I am already satisfied with. So, I usually go home with a bent something. It will likely be a military mount Peterson or one of the two silver mounted pipes with a wind cap they make. Possibly though I will find a particularly nice meer.
Pretty dull huh?
Enjoy the hunt! I envy you as you get into pipes, there are so many variations to sort through and experiment with.

Status
Not open for further replies.