PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1coolsmoke

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
I've been Wanting to start trying some virginia blends.just wondering if you all could give some advice on some good blends to start with.
Edit: Capitalized title, L.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I think McClelland has some outstanding blends in their "Matured Virginias" line. I like all of them and each is a little different. Greg Pease has some fine offerings too, some with a touch of perique. My own favorites being Union Square, Haddo's Delight, and Cumberland.
Any of those would be a good start.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke Virginia and Virginia/Perique flakes exclusively. Here is a list of my current rotation and I consider everyone of these to be no bite Virginia's. The TR next to the name means ready to smoke out of the tin with no additional drying time needed.
Virginia Flakes:

Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Fribourg and Treyer Vintage

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Brick

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

Hamborger Veermaster

Dunhill Flake TR

Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR

Solani Silver Flake TR

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake TR

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Esoterica Stonehaven

Rotary Navy Cut

Petersons Irish Flake
Virginia/Perique Flakes

Escudo

Solani 633 TR

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
McClelland Black Shag is a dark, sweet Stoved VA blend from the 221B line. Very sweet!

MacBaren HH Mature VA is a very good one, too.
I second Escudo for VA/Pers and will add H&H Louisiana Red and H&H Anniversary Kake.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
The first VA that I really fell for is Astley's #109. It's got a really nice, deep, chocolate overtone that I really like. It is labeled as a straight VA, but I detect a very judiciously applied sugar and chocolate/carob top dressing--nothing that will jump out at you, ghost a pipe or get in the way, but makes the flake very approachable.
A lot of straight VAs are grassy, lemony, or hay-like (which I love), but are a little harder to appreciate for the newcomer, depending on what you usually smoke.
Whatever you try, I'd advise that you smoke as slow and cool as you can to get the most out of it. These are not bold flavors compared to Latakia blends or strong aromatics.

1coolsmoke

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
Thanks guys for all the recomendations.Getting ready to place an order now for some of these blends that you all have recomended.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I first hated storebought aros cause they were no taste all aroma so I went for English, then I got tired of them and went into good aros with flavor you could taste. I eventually discovered I loved VA's more than any other kind (particularly aged flakes).
I discovered Peterson Stokkebye's Luxyer Bullseye Flake and fell in love with it, it is a wonderfully mellow good tasting smoke. Orlik Golden Sliced is what I enjoy when I want more flavor. Do smoke VA's slower because they do have some tongue bite (more than English and Aros at correct moisture). I highly recomend starting out with flakes, just make sure you pack them well. A good first way to get a feel for them is to just take the stick, fold it several times and cut it with sissors until you got a lot of small squares.
Cheers :)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I really love Hal o' the Wynd (Rattray's), but it's not one I'd recommend to someone who's just starting with Virginias; in my experience, it requires some care when smoking in order to get the most from it.
I would highly recommend Rattray's Old Gowrie, though, as well as Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake (which, despite the name, is actually mild yet flavorful).
These aren't straight Virginias, but you might also enjoy GLPease's Embarcadero (which is a Virginia/oriental blend) and Rattray's Jocks Mixture (which also includes some unsweetened cavendish), which is outstanding.
And, yes, it's hard to go wrong with a McClelland Virginia. They just seem to know how to treat these tobaccos with expert care and attention. At some point, you should definitely try Dark Star; it's a dark-stoved Virginia that is sublime. . . but it takes some work. It's a near-black flake that requires a good bit of effort to rub out and to keep lit. But it truly is a wonderful smoke. But it probably shouldn't be your first Virginia experience. I can also highly recommend the company's Anniversary, which, again, isn't a straight Virginia. . . but it's a marvelous blend.
I'm sure there are many other options out there that I just haven't tried yet. But these are a few that come immediately to mind.
Happy hunting!
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
As others have noted, Virginias should be smoked with care due to their high sugar content, which, if pushed, can often lead to some bite. Some blends are more prone to this than others, of course. But you'll be amply rewarded if you puff slowly. You also might be surprised just how sweet a natural tobacco can be if you sample some of the smoke with the tip of your tongue. (And sometimes smoking slower will bring out even more sweetness.)
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
lyle, I also cut my va flake teeth on Astley 109 along with F&T Cut Virginia Plug and Veermaster. 109 is a great flake for beginners, but I found that their No. 44 Dark flake is just as easy to smoke but has more flavor. I now buy just the 44, and am down to my last tin of 109. I also like the presentation of the 44 which are small square flakes unlike the large wrap around flake of the 109.
I would also be very careful of McClellend and Rattray blends in the beginning. They are loaded with Red Virginia's and I don't think are suitable to new va flake smokers. If your technique is not really good, they will bite the crap out of you.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
@cigarmaster: thanks for the extra perspective! I'll have to try #44. I've really liked every Astley's blend I've ever tried, but that's one I haven't gone for yet.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I agree the Orlick is a good starter but I think that F&T Cut Virginia Plug or Astley 109 or Dunhill flake are just as easy to smoke but have much more flavor. I think Hal O' the Wynd is for more experienced smokers due to the amount of red viginia's in it. If you smoke that one too quickly it can bite very badly. I remember trying it when I first began smoking and it scorched me something fierce. It does taste great no doubt about it.
lyle, I think you will definitely enjoy it. I would also recommend John Aylesbury Luxury flake if you like a sweet molasses like component to your blends.

Jul 15, 2011
Ive been reading this thread and taking notes as I am in the same boat as the OP as well. I really am starting to get a taste for Virginias and think that the brands that I have tried, such as Cornell and Diehl and MacBaren, just arent for me, but some of the Astley blends as well as some different McConnels blends that I have heard about have me itching to place an order. Thanks for all the advice guys.

1coolsmoke

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
Thanks guy's for guiding me in the right direction on this. I did get my hands on on some McClelland' Blackwood's flake.Gave it a resonable amount of drying time, But i really don't think it's what i'm looking for, has anyone had any experience with it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, if you like Dunhill flake you will definitely like the F&T and the Astley. Have you ever tried any of the Wessex flakes? They are some of my favorites as well.
1coolsmoke, grab a tin of the F&T Cut Virginia Plug or the Astley no 44, both have a lot of flavor and I have never been bitten by either no matter how hot I have smoked them.

1coolsmoke

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
rothnh, I'm not going to give up on blackwoods.I'm going to try it in some different sized bowles and see if it makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.