PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2019
Dear Pipers.

Sorry for a daft question. I am 53 and thinking of taking up occasional pipe smoking at moments of deep reflection or inner peace - such as when sitting by the river in anticipation of a night fly fishing for Sea Trout, or suchlike. I am hopeful the pipe will bring me the same pleasure as quality tea, coffee, claret, whisky etc do. My question is this - I accept that any smoking is hazardous but would a bowl a week (or thereabouts) be really much of a gamble? Most grateful for any opinions plus suggestions for a mild and cool tobacco for a beginner. Thanks.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I don't personally feel like once a week is going to cause a problem at all. Much like how a piece of cake a week is not going to cause you have diabetes. It's a good thing to reach out for something that can be relaxing when you want a moment to yourself for reflection and peace amongst nature, especially beside the calming sounds of a river.
For a nice beginner tobacco I might recommend Carter Hall as it has a pleasing flavor and aroma and burn nice and evenly the whole way through. I usually keep some in my car or at home for breaking in new pipes. You can't go wrong with that. Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic is also not a bad choice and I typically keep some of that in my car as well. It has a very pleasing aroma as well.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Even 1-2 bowls a day should be OK. Doctors used to consider that amount from healthy to not a cause for concern. Ultimately, it's your body that'll tell you if pipe smoking is for you or not.
Do take into consideration that learning to smoke a pipe can be like learning to ride a bike: rough for some. Don't let tongue bite lead you to believe you're killing yourself.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You'll plenty of good suggestions here for beginner's blends, pipe selection, pipe smoking technique and so forth. What you can not get here is a health risk assessment. You will get statements intended to assuage you concerns about those risks, but keep in mind that almost everyone here is a pipe smoker. The bias is inherent in the system. This is not to imply that you would be putting yourself at risk with occasional pipe smoking. Nor is it to imply that you wouldn't, either.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I picked up pipe smoking for similar reasons. I am not a doctor but I can tell you this from my personal experience. I can sit back on the porch in the evening and enjoy a bowl. Then wake up the next morning and ride 20 miles on my bike (for exercise) and not have a hard time breathing or coughing up a lung like some cigarette smokers. I went on an eight mile snowshoe/hike last week and at the top of the windy mountain (4 miles in), I had a bowl and hiked back to the car without feeling any different. I can't say if taking the gamble is worth it for you but it is for me!
I know you did not ask but everyone is suggesting different tobacco blends. I vote for John Bull's Royal English. It is a steal at the price and although I enjoy all types of blends, this is by far my favorite smoke. It doesn't have the best room note but the flavors and the aroma are pleasing to me!
Good luck!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
There is no true answer to your question. If you want to do it, go ahead, bearing in mind that it might be unhealthy. Pipe smoking is an indulgence. Some call those vices. At 53, you're the master of your life.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Any smoking is a gamble...period. The only point of debate is how much a gamble and are YOU willing to take that gamble.
With all due respect to the members here, unless they are doctors, and even then an internet assessment is pretty useless, you should be getting your medical advice from your family doctor.
Having said all that, there's not much that I enjoy more than taking a break on the stream or waiting for the hatch or spinner drop while enjoying a pipe. Sometimes I'll even just sit there and keep smoking even when there's fish rising and I really should be casting a fly to them.
As far as what tobacco to smoke, that is such a personal choice that I won't even get close to to it. No way around it, you're going to have to go through the learning cycle but if you do it with some patience and logic it won't be too harsh or long.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Just understand that it's not like lighting a cigar/cigarette and sitting back to relax/reflect. Oh you will definitely get there but there is somewhat of a learning curve involved along with infinite choices and variables. There is some preparation and ritual involved along with nurturing the bowl along with tamping and relights etc.
However, personally, pipe smoking has become a permanent part of my life and helps immensely with periods of reflection and does certainly bring inner peace.
I have yet to experience anything health related with the exception of a sore tongue when I was first starting out. You've certainly come to the right place for advice and this forum has probably shaved years off of my learning curve. Welcome.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
One more point and this is just me thinking out loud....before I started smoking a pipe and still to this day, I take those same breaks on the stream and enjoy a few sips of tea or maybe a wee dram and just sit and reflect.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Damn, I miss fishing. I really need to get back into it. A pipe and a stream...how could it possibly get any better than that?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The only guarantee in this life is that nobody gets out alive so ... up to you how you choose to live.
Now for the good part: recommendations - I would give you three to try the main genres of Over The Counter (OTC - also sometimes called drug store blends), Aromatic and English. Keep in mind these are arbitrary genres and titles and not even close to covering the whole topic, so take it with a block of salt.
1. OTC = Carter Hall or Prince Albert. Nice simple burley blends, not complex, easy to light and smoke.

2. Aromatic = Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. Good quality tobacco with a rich flavor, not goopy or overpowering, easy to smoke.

3. English = John Bull. Good example of the genre, not in your face strong but still enough for you to get an idea about English blends.
These are not meant to be an end-all be-all list or any type of "best" ranking or anything of the sort - just a nice place to start and show you what to expect. From there the world's your oyster and there are literally thousands of choices.
Hope that helps.
Edit: I probably should have asked which side of the pond you are on. These are recommendations if you're in the US. There are other choices more appropriate if you're on the other side or in the UK. If you're not in the US, UK or EU, well, I can't even begin to help, LOL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A bowl a week is a minimal exposure. At the same time, there are people who are intensely susceptible. If it worries you a lot, I'd not do it, since anxiety is another element of being susceptible. Enjoying things is a significant part of health. A refined elegantly blended mild English blend, with a dash of burley to make it American, is Nat Sherman #536, available in tins or from the store in Manhattan in bulk.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I'm pretty sure me smoking a pipe has actually saved a few lives. I'm a lot less likely to strangle someone at a family reunion with the calming presence of a lit pipe.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm pretty sure me smoking a pipe has actually saved a few lives

You might be kinda joking, but you're actually right. Rick Newcombe describes in one of his books how Bertrand Russell was flying from Norway, seated in the front of the plane, and asked the stewardess if he could smoke his pipe in the plane. 'If I don't smoke my pipe, I will die', were his actual words. The stewardess moved him to a seat at the back of the plane, where he could smoke away. Anon, the aircraft experienced a critical failure and plunged into one of the fjords. After a couple of hours struggling to stay afloat in the cold waters, he and the survivors were finally rescued. The passenges that were in the front of the plane, where he was originally seated, were killed.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Here's the advice a young man gave carolinachurchwarden a while ago....
angry-kid.png

Give it a whirl and decide for yourself. Your body will give you better feedback than we can. We are all shameless enablers here... :puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
First if you only smoke occasionally you'll die of frustration trying to understand how to dry tobacco, pack your pipe, light, tamp and the other various tasks involved in smoking a pipe. Not to mention you'll never figure out cadence.
I'd suggest you avoid smoking a pipe.
Unless you WANT to smoke a pipe. The rest of the reasons are bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.