PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
As I was cleaning my collection I noticed that I don't have a single solitary English made pipe! What is a nice $50-$125 brand of English pipe to look for? I'm now hellishly bent on finding one!

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
The reason that is the budget is because my fiancé is the one buying it for my Christmas and that was her max. I offered to add but she is gung ho about he paying for the whole thing and asked me what kind of pipe I would like and I told her I didn't have any English pipes.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Can't go wrong with an Ashton or Ferndown. I have no experience with the other two Roth mentioned. They will cost ya just a bit more than $125 though but you won't regret it. If you are set on staying withing $50-$125 I would go with a Pre-Cadogan Era GBD. These pipes will have a linear stamp as the quote for Pipedia states below:
"Once GBD and Comoy's became one, the linear "London England" stamp became the round "Made in London England" stamp used on all later Comoys."

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Nat, look for Willmer, Charatans,Savory, I have 3 Savorys some say they are Dunhill seconds, don"t know about that but they smoke damn good in the 50$ range. The old cajun

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
irishsmoker, go check out www.briarblues.com/pipes/united kingdom or pipes under 100 $ and I am sure that you will find something that fits your taste and the lady's budget... have fun looking...

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'd say look for a Millville, but they're rather difficult to find here in the states. I also think Blakemar and Invicta are solid pipes.
But I agree with the others that you'll truly notice a difference with a higher end pipe. Save your pennies for an Ashton, Ferndown, Upshall, or Chris Askwith.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I recently was able to get a 1969 Dunhill Shell Briar for right at $100 US on the bay. Not easy to do since the brand attracts people like flies, but certainly possible. I hear great things about GBD pipes but I have yet to snag one. Ashton and the Lane-era Charatan lines are supposed to be very good as well. Working on those, too.

Aug 1, 2012
How about an Upshall "P" grade for $87.50 from Milan Tobacconist?
EstatePipeNo1557.jpg

SmokingPipes has a few good ones in that range on the English page as well including a Lane-era Charatan Skater and freehand-ish dublin. They also have a Sasieni Four Dot Ruff-Root under your max.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
No time like the present since you're going to be married- lie to her and kick in the rest. It gets easier over time and it is the key to survival.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Roth, that is a beauty, if i hadn't just bought a Blackbriar Dunhill from Dave Neeb I would jump on it, after you of course, no cutting in line LOL. The old cajun

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
First ones that come to mind are Peterson and Dunhill. There's got to be 50 different English pipe makers, if there's 1.
I'd get a Peterson system pipe, if I were you, look at this bad boy
Been wanting to get one myself, but money's been tight for a while now.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I have a GBD and a GBD second under the name country club. I am really liking the GBD's though.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
If you can find a Barling, I would grab it. I recently bought one and it is an African Meerscham. They quit making them in the early 1960's but have been producing them lately. They are an amazing smoke and look great as well. Good luck on your hunt.

Jul 15, 2011
I also think Blakemar and Invicta are solid pipes.
Thanks for that bit of info Bigvan. I had no idea Blakemar was an English made pipe. I own one that I got as an estate that was dirty as all hell when I bought it but scrubbed up pretty nice and is a solid smoker, so I can recommend a Blakemar as a good choice. Dont really have a whole lot of experience with them other than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.