PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Elevator talk (very brief) advice from mid- later- life to twenty something: What would yours be?

Three or four lines or less:
Don't be afraid to take a job that isn't your dream, but keep in touch with your inner self

and watch for opportunities to get closer to what you want to do and who you want to be.

Don't ever base a relationship on it being "time to get married." People you don't date and

don't marry at the time may re-emerge decades later. Keep an open mind.
So, what's your oracular advice for newly minted adults?

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Keep an open mind is a big thing. Try to enjoy all that life has to offer, and not take everything seriously. However that being said advice from one may not work for another. Never take marriage advice from someone who has been divorced.
Hope thats the kind of advice your looking for, this cold has my head spinning and I may of read your post completely wrong.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The most important thing I could tell a young person is Things change , if you are astute you will know what I mean. Look people in the eyes when you talk to them. No mumble jobs, speak clearly and direct, do what you say and say what you do. Life is not complicated, Right and Wrong doesn't change in any age bracket.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
Yep, well said, sir.
I would add the following:
1. Don't listen to those who would tell you that something is impossible, or that you can't do something.

2. Live your life ethically.

3. Realize that one's education does not end when one's school days are behind them. Stay curious and open minded to learning new things every day.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Yes sir Mr. Bradley. I agree with everything said here. One other thing that I have always tried to remember. My dad used to always say "It is just as easy to have good manners as it is to have bad manners!" He was right. You can get a long way with a little respect and good manners. :puffpipe:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Value the spiritual over the physical...follow your conscience and seek inner guidance.
Don’t take on massive college debt for a degree that is unlikely to result in a good paying job in the ever changing “global economy”. Instead consider learning a skilled trade that can’t be outsourced to China or India.
Think for yourself...don’t accept everything at face value. Always strive to ask better questions. Question the conventional wisdom, the prevailing dogmas, and authority.
Study history, including recent history...and including the versions contrary to the “official narratives”.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Have a plan! It doesn't have to be etched in stone, circumstances and goals change, but one needs a plan. A goal and a plan for attaining said goal provide the base line for all decision making. Make a decision and all feed-back from the action will immediately tell you if the decision is bad or good. Never dither when action is required, weigh the choices against your plan and act!
Oh! And for the men, and this is easy. Always marry up!

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
If you haven't already get out of your parents house. They have put up with you for 18 years that's enough. The borrower is always a slave to the lender. A handout should always come with a heavy dose of SHAME. To death do us part means exactly that. Man won't always love a woman enough not to leave, but love God enough to keep your promise to him that you wouldn't leave.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
All good advice. Jeepnewbi, I would like to modify your advice. "Never take marriage advice from someone who has been divorced." If the person is telling you what they did wrong, then you should avoid his mistakes. If all the problems were the spouses fault, then ignore his advice.
I tell my son, a huge part of success at work, is just showing up. If you are faithful at doing what you are told, promotions are inevitable.
Winton

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Now that I'm in my 60's there were times when I wish I had said "yes" instead of "no". Think of what is possible bit don't be afraid of the impossible. Look up Occam's Razor, it'll save a lot of angst over decision making.

There's a lot of wisdom here but I'd add one more thing- always exercise good manners no matter with whom you are dealing-young and/or old. That's what we taught our daughter and she's doing quite well following that tenet.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I love this feed as a 24 year old law student. I value all of your advice and opinions immensely. My girlfriend's grandparents once gave me the advice to always have friends are of all ages. That is both advice and a reason for my appreciation for this thread I suppose.
Thank you.

Jan 3, 2014
Work your ass off and save as much money as you can.
Now you won't realize how important that is, you will later. When we're young we have this feeling that we will live forever and time drags on tediously slowly. This makes it easy to put things off. Don't. I have seen an awful lot of younger people leave college with the intention of going back after a year, etc. Not a single one of them ever went back. As time goes on and the birthdays begin to pile up behind you while you pass those milestones, 30, 40, etc. your perception of time will change. High school is only four years long but to a teenager it feels like ten. Once you get past 35 or so the years start clipping by like months. Months feel like weeks. Trust me, time feels as though it begins to accelerate. That brings me back to the first part and if you take heed of that you will thank yourself immensely that you did~
Work your ass off and save as much money as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.