PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I ventured into a antique store two days ago to walk around and see what I could find. I found 3 pipes that I liked…… correction I found quite a few pipes that I liked. Some didn't have labels, some just stamped where they were made. I would of bought them all but at 10 plus each I didn't want to spend a lot. Some booths had some nice pipe stands.
Here are the three I picked up. The broken one was only $3 so I figured it would make a nice practice pipe to try and repair.

Here is a pipe with a neat ship stand. It was labeled Briar Schwa and the stand was made in China. I couldn't find any info on it. They wanted $18 for it, I didn't like them that much, lol. Not to mention the fuzzy stuff on the inside of the bowl.

Here is one that I liked but never heard of it before. Stamped Pipe Dream who I couldn't find any info on either.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I love hitting antique shops, looking for pipes...unfortunately I haven't had much luck in the antique shops...I've had good lunch at Estate sales though..

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Now I'm inspired to get out to a few local antique stores this weekend.
I think that fuzzy stuff was just cotton from a swab or pad.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looks like they should shine up nicely. The Grabow freehand, if that's what it is, has the wrong stem. Should have a "fancy" stem, although the one in it will work fine.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
You know I never thought about looking for pipes in antique shops and estate sales. That's a few weekends booked then!

dranger75

Lurker
Jan 20, 2014
I recently walked into an antique mall and saw a guy standing in line to pay for his items. He had a beautiful old 6 pipe stand! If I had only left 30 minutes earlier it could have been mine!!! :crying:

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Ejames I noticed that when I picked it up. There was two stems with it the other one was a broken fancy stem. I may make one out of the pre made stems I have.
Shaintiques it is the Peach Antique Mall of Byron, GA.
Trailboss I know what you mean, the same goes for me.
Going to antique stores is kinda like smoking a pipe for me. It is relaxing, seeing all the old items in them reminds me of the days of the past. Yes things are easier due to all the new stuff we have available, but that being said it seems folks depend on tech way to much. While in the store I'll look at stuff, and try to imagine how items were applied back in the day. I don't know maybe I'm old fashioned. My wife loves cooking on the ceramic coated cookware I bought her for Christmas 3 years ago, however I love to cook on cast iron skillets.

Status
Not open for further replies.