PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesillyoldbear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
There's a whole lot of information available on how to get started as a newbie pipe smoker. But what about pipe smoking techniques aimed at the more seasoned, serious, fully initiated pipe smoker? Not so much. Preparation and packing, lighting and tamping... these are great skills to have, but there's always something more to learn about pipe smoking — it's part of what makes our hobby so interesting and timeless.
8 Advanced Pipe Smoking Techniques
SPC.AdvancedSmoking.82516.banner.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Useful list. I favor some and not others, but all are useful to know about. Good description on these.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
there's always something more to learn about pipe smoking — it's part of what makes our a simple act into a needlessly complicated ritualistic hobby
There I fixed that up for you.

I've heard the layering of different blends called a parfait.

99.9% of the time, I just can't bring myself to use my finger to tamp. Mostly, because I'm wearing slacks and a nice shirt, that I don't want to get ashes on. But, there are those moments, especially out away from the car or house where I've just had to. I think I also see the chamber of the pipe as sort of being sacred, needing sacred tampers or in the very least a holy golf tee.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Shutterbugg, the great thing about this hobby is that everyone can decide how complicated they want to make it. It can be enjoyed very simply or with worlds of nuanced detail. Let each person decide how they want to approach it, including possibly with the fun challenge of some added ritual.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Photo's need less hipster and more fartster, old, that is.
Good list for the reddit crowd. The true highlight of which is the reference to Alan Kerslake.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
good techniques, I like the hemp wick to light up the pipe, never heard of that one, I use matches or a bic lighter.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Not a big fan of blowing smoke through my delicate nasal membranes--- I get enough flavor and aroma as it is and that can only lead to a further lose of sense of smell over time, but I never thought finger tamping was advanced--- I find it MUCH better and more sensitive than a mechanical tamper! And Cosmic, never had any problem with a dirty finger.
A kitchen match works more than good enough to save the extra hassle of buying twine then lighting that to light the bowl, and I have experimented with toasting the bowl to caramelize it then let it sit a bit. Opinion still out on that.
Layering is something I need to play around more with--- I generally blend tobaccos for a third taste, not have one I already know lead into another. The advantage of blending is to take two or more tobaccos you are not wholly satisfied with and make them into something new which exceeds the sum of their original parts.
As to folding flake, I haven't always had great luck with that. It depends on the cut: If not done just right, you simply do not get the right air circulation to get an even and consistent burn.

May 4, 2015
Not a big fan of blowing smoke through my delicate nasal membranes--- I get enough flavor and aroma as it is and that can only lead to a further lose of sense of smell over time
I can't imagine smoking without "retrohaling". What my nose adds to the flavor, I couldn't do away with.
As to folding flake, I haven't always had great luck with that. It depends on the cut: If not done just right, you simply do not get the right air circulation to get an even and consistent burn.
Gave up on folding flakes long ago. I'm sure there's some benefit to it, but whatever benefit that is is more than negated by my frustrations with how a folded and stuffed flake burns - or doesn't.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'll still do a fold-n-stuff occasionally, but only when I have plenty of time, matches, and patience. I gave up on trying to master it as a regular smoking practice too. Rubbed-out flake smokes too good to make the difference that big of a deal.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I learned about layering on this board quite a while ago.

One of you said they topped off a pipe with Captain Black in order to get a few "that smells good"s from the people sharing your space, tricking them into enjoying the smoke that comes later.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Advanced techniques ! I'm just learning how to use this darn smart phone. Man,my heads really hurting now. Hope I still remember how to drive.;-)

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I can't imagine smoking without "retrohaling". What my nose adds to the flavor, I couldn't do away with.
Point taken! I will have to settle for what I inhale through the front of my nose which I think goes pretty far enough to satisfy me, but I will give a little practice to retrohaling tonight as it never pays to be too sure of yourself!

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I finally got a pipe that I can enjoy the room note of, a long bent churchwarden. When I smoked it the first time the smoke travelled straight up and I could actually smell the room note. I do love me some retrohaling tho.
2016_10_01_19_01_29.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After reading the blog, the comments offered by Duane C., seem very informative. That man must be a genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.