PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Out in the middle of nowhere Mississippi, I found another cache name brand pipes. I bought a Preben Holm Delight. I left behind 4 Savinellis, 2 Ben Wades, a couple stamped Charatan's Make and 3 or 4 Made in England or London, one French pipe.
After getting home and doing more research I'm kicking myself for not look closer at the Charatan's Make. I did consider the Ben Wade Martinque but the wife looked like she was considering kicking me. Stuck with the Preben Holm Delight.
Here's a couple of photos before I start the cleaning process.

KkauWXq.jpg

l8FBard.jpg

kSWsr0t.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's a sharp one Pappy. Picked up a Delight a few years ago for pennies and love it.
s-l400-5.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Dangit, Duane! Every time I see that Preben Holm of yours I feel like I must have one! :x :rofl:
Pappy, that's a lovely pipe. And I can't wait to see it after you clean it up :clap: Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That second pic shows how big of a show off Preben was. Look how the grain flows with the shape of the bowl. :clap:

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
You are having some great luck these days with the estates. That is a beautiful pipe with the Granddaddy Of Freehand's name on it. Beautiful score. Good on you sir! Personally, I'd go back to where you found them while the wife was busy to pick up some more of those great finds. I have a BW Martinique and it is one of my best smokers. Happy hunting!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Fluffie666 -

Now if I would just have the same luck with finding winning Poweball numbers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You guys must be living right. I'm in an urban area, and I can't even find ordinary pipes at the big Fairgrounds flea market. Antique shops here seem to regard requests about tobacco pipes a something elicit. Someone out in the country in MIssissippi has highly sophisticated taste in pipes. That's a beauty. Those are beauties.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
mso,
I think the key is to not go looking for pipes. My wife went into this place looking to add to her salt & pepper shaker collection. I walked in behind her and she said I should look at all the pipes in the case on the counter.
As soon as I can sell some of my other pipes, I'm going to call this place and see if they still have the pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pappymac, I think you may be right. Sometimes all the good sightings are from peripheral vision. If you go intentionally, sometimes, all is lost.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
i love this original post because it is so contrary to the snobbishness about the South. I was once a dinner guest in entertaining a young, later-to-be U.S. poet laureate to be unnamed. He was astonished that I not only had read Ploughshares, a literary magazine from Cambridge, Mass., but had also published there. He was young and hadn't traveled much, and was later a fine extremely active poet laureate. But he really was amazed that there was literary culture in the South. Maybe he hadn't heard of Faulkner? Anyway, I later thought I might have said, "Well, shucks, sure, we get Ploughshares down here when the mule train gets through and the creeks don't rise." But he really was a good guy, gifted, and just a bit provincial at the time himself. He'd grown up on the 'Jersey shore.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I got the only "Preben Holm" they had but if anyone wants the name of the store and their phone number send me a PM.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pappymac, if you're in the area of that store, you ought to leave them your phone number and ask them to call you when they get pipes. If you talk to the owner, they might do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.