PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From Foxfire 11, c. 1999, my wife spotted this account of an elderly woman pipe smoker:

"Her chair set by the side of the fireplace, and she had a pocket from an old pair of pants tacked to the wall by the side of her chair. In that pocket she kept leaves of dried tobacco. She smoked a clay pipe with a long cane stem in it. She'd reach into that pocket, get her some dry crumbs of tobacco, put 'em in her pipe and pack the pipe full. Then she'd take her little fire shovel and reach into her fire and get her a little live coal. She'd put that coal on top of that tobacco in her pipe, take a few puffs, get the tobacco lit good, and she'd put the coal back in the fireplace. She'd sit there and smoke that pipe and talk to you if you wanted to talk. That was a real pioneer home."
I like this not because it is quaint or nostalgic, but because it captures the ritual of pipe smoking.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Interesting. Basically, the hookah method, right?
I had to look up Foxfire, but it sounds pretty cool. There's been a bit of a movement to reach back to a lot of those older ways of doing things. A resurgence in things like beekeeping (even in urban areas), curing and preserving foods, fermentation. For all the benefits of modernity and mass production, there is still much to learn and preserve from our ancestors.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife had a good set of Foxfires collected over several years, but being warm-hearted, she loaned it to a friend with all assurances, many years ago, and we are still waiting. She loaned her childhood clarinet to a neighbor girl on Long Island, who played in school orchestras for years, and a few years ago, her mom mailed it back, and I had it reconditioned for her. My wife loaned her grandmother's handmade cookbook to a colleague who likewise never returned it, a lost family legacy -- to me a high crime. I hope there is some horrific story about how the colleagues life came apart in riots and explosions, to explain this.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I hope there is some horrific story about how the colleagues life came apart in riots and explosions, to explain this.
Note to self: Don't cross Dom Tom.
We had a few Foxfire books around as children. Very cool stuff. Thanks for the nostalgia!
jay-roger.jpg

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I was not familiar with these "Foxfires" so I looked them up. Am I right in understanding that these are a series of otherwise unrelated books espousing the wisdom and customs of those who have lived in the Appalachians?

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
It's been awhile but I used to have many of the Foxfire books. It was a project by a school, if I recall correctly, perhaps a community college or state university. The idea was to talk with people living in Appalachia who were still living sort of old timey lives and record their knowledge and ways of doing things before they all died off and took those skills with them.
Incidentally "foxfire" also refers to bioluminescent fungus. It can be a truly striking and beautiful sight to behold in the woodlands at night.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
seldom has it about right. I think it started out as a one semester or one-year project, and when the project drew interest, it became a regular publication for quite a while. They had the writing talent and the people power of the students. The combination of connecting with older people and the rural isolation of the area made it a pretty good window back to the Nineteenth Century. My wife felt a connection having grown up in fairly remote rural Missouri with a grandma who lived to age 99 and actually traveled west in a Conestoga (or some kind of...) covered wagon, and lived in a sod house until the family proudly was able to build a brick house.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I spend two years of my misspent youth at a little N. Georgia college and got to know many of the old timers that are spotlighted in the early books. It's a shame we are losing much of the old knowledge. I ate opossum, made buckets, brooms and learned to render hogs. It was great but then some say I have some hillbilly blood in my veins.

Status
Not open for further replies.