PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I don't want to get all wishy washy, but maybe a little philosophical. As many of you know, I have had some major life changes in the past 7 years. I was in a wreck in '05 where I broke my pelvis and fractured my L4 vertebra. At the time I had a prospering business in the construction field. I am a painter/finisher by trade, but do them all. I was one of the best Wood finishers in central Ohio. I was bringing in great money. Did what I wanted to do. Shopped without looking at prices. I also partied like I wanted to and live a "rockstar" lifestyle when I wasn't working.
When my fiance was pregnant with my first son is when the wreck happened. I am not going to get into specifics, but I had to shut down my business and get sober and did by '07. I had 2 kids by then and their mom died that year. My life was very dark for a couple of years after and although I didn't drink/drug, I did many other things. I had not accepted that my life would never be the same.
In the past 3 years I have done a lot of growing. I came into my 40's and fought it for a year. I got some acceptance with it in the last year and am growing again. Not so much on this site, but in my life here in Ohio I had some issues with people looking down on me because I barely get by. They pity me and up until a few weeks ago, It ate at my soul. I'll just get to the point. I learned that acceptance is the key to peace. Don't get me wrong, I don't accept that I will never rebound. I accept that as long as I do all I can to better myself and keep my side of the road clean, that what is supposed to happen will happen. I accept this as fact. Its the way of the universe. As long as I do what i am supposed to do, things just slowly fall into place and I can go to bed at night knowing I did the right thing. I wrote this post so maybe if someone else here has fallen on hard times, they may be able to take something from this post and get themselves a little peace. Sorry for the short novel. I hope you liked it..

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Indeed mate. Without acceptance, one can not truely be happy. Doesn't take money to be happy. You have, right there in your Avatar, the key to happiness.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I finally recoginized that I would not be able to fulfill my dreams in my choosen career. While I certainly enjoy what I do now, it was a rough 10 years before I was content.
Glad you are learning faster than I did.
Winton

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Well said Shawn. I know all too well the difficulties with dealing with things that are beyond your control.

I personally have had to accept many things that i do not like due to my failing mental and physical health.

At the same time it has taught me many things and i have seen life from a different perspective, one that most people never get to experience. I feel this has changed me for the better.
It has made me appreciate what is important in life and feel richer than i ever even though i am financially poorer than i have ever been in my life.
I have a fantastic wife who has supported me through all my problems i have her family who bend over backwards to help me in anyway they can.
12 years i have been stuck with my problems. Yet i have never given up hope of a change for the better. One thing that i have to hold on to is no matter how bad things seem right now things can always get worse BUT they can also get better. The trick is to ride the wave until things change for the better.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Well said shawn. I have learned to please my family first than me. The 2 most important things in my life.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
You guys made me weep :D Thank you!!! I wasn't sure how this post would be received. I typed it... Read it... Then sat here for a minute... Then I thought to myself if it gives one person a little incentive and hope, then it was worth it. Added the last sentence or two and pushed [send post] and quickly logged out. Humility used to not be my forte. But it beats the hell out of putting on a show where I project that i am something I am not. Humility is one of the most powerful tools in my toolbox. It keeps me growing. Thanks again guys. This was the high point of my weekend. I hope that someone who reads this and is dying inside has a light bulb go on in their head that warms their heart.... AND THEY GET SOME HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Well Thanks for sharing with me too.... I love knowing that I am not alone. This site just seems to keep giving and giving... I never in a million years thought that this site would even come close to being what it is. Collectively, this is the best bunch of people I have ever had the honer of meeting. Wow... I am super emotional right now. Bravo guys :worship:

Aug 1, 2012
Dave, thank you too. I guess God is trying to tell me something. If nothing else that I'm in this now for a reason.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Thank you for your post. I too have known some very rough years. Acceptance is not easy. Hell, you have to relive the pain just to understand the causes, effects, and outcomes. But it is mandatory.
I often tell myself that if the world takes every thing away from me, I have myself. I have my intellect, my emotions, my (in)sanity. No one can "take away my birthday," so to speak, regardless of how hard they may try. I am my own man... and that is my victory.
Thanks for sharing, Shawn.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.
Dalai Lama

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
We read every day about people who have fame and fortune who are miserable.They have no peace of mind because they haven't learned life's lessons that you expressed in your post.The most thing in life to me is the love of those around you.Without that I don't think a person can be truly happy.I wish you happiness in life.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Still emotional. Still very happy. Still love you guys!!! I never thought that post would hit home with so many people!!!! Its amazing. Dave threw the big G word in there and opened the door for this.. Here is the truest thing I ever wrote... As long as I put God first. Everything else just falls in place. I am no bible beater, nor do I always put God first. I fall short constantly. But when I do..... Everything just falls into place!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.