PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mphstteach

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
West Virginia
Hey all!

One of my favorite things of being around pipe smokers is the smell, that's why I started smoking a pipe myself just this month on a regular basis. The problem is that I am relegated to the back porch to write and smoke because I have little ones and the wife hates smoking, she won't even let me smoke in the basement man cave I have. My question is for those of us who are relegated to the great outdoors, is there a way that you have found to still enjoy that coveted "room note" in the outdoors?

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I have found that I cannot detect the "room Note" while smoking. Try using the garage to smoke in. Leave for a few minutes and then return. Works for me.
LRT

mphstteach

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
West Virginia
BTW Cosmic, I was not being rude, just knew somebody would mention that. I love her and deal with her anti-pipe sentiments lol. Loneredtree, I was curious if pipe smokers could even smell their own smoke since I am new to it I didn't know, thanks for the advice!

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Build a small wall to act as a wind break and smoke next to it; I have found that when I cut down the amount of wind I still get a bit of the room note. Also, I have learned to breath in, through my nose, ever so softly when I exhale my pipe smoke to get a whiff of the pipe smoke in the atmosphere ie. room note.
By the way, nineish years ago when I began smoking a pipe my wife was very upset by my decision. Over the years she has softened and now I am allowed (to some extent even encouraged) to smoke in the house. Often I will smoke in the house; however, I learned to love smoking in the out of door and often times choose to smoke outside.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Pitch a tent out in the backyard and smoke your pipe. That will contain the smoke and give you room note. Next day put a TV out there and a small fridge. When it gets dark, stay out there and smoke your pipe. Pipes are a great meditative aide. Come in for meals, showers and to use the John. Maybe at some point your wife will decide that when you got married, she married you for YOU, and whether it is better to accept you for how you are and make allowances, or whether she more greatly values exercising control of your life even if it make you unhappy?
You have rights too and surely, you can have a room downstairs that outside of that can be put an air purifier to keep the smoke from traveling. Plus maybe she can sample a few blends until she finds a few whose smell is agreeable. Life is a panoply of compromises and they must be made from all sides if the solution is to be fair.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I like tmb's thinking.
Me, if I was kicked out of my own house to smoke in the back yard like some homeless dude, I would build myself a Portland city-style homeless shelter and smoke there. That should garner you due sympathy and provide yourself with plenty of "room note".

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I can only speak from personal experience but I find I can detect no 'room note' simply because I am the one smoking. If I were to enter a room where another was smoking of course I would get the aroma. I have left a room where I have smoked a bowl and upon re-entering all I can detect is tobacco smoke with no particular 'flavour' to it.
That has often puzzled me that folks who are actually smoking the pipe get the room note too because I certainly don't :?
Regards,
Jay.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I only get it with aromatics and maybe with latakia. I mostly smoke with windows wide open though so that's probably the reason of absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.