Abandoning cigarettes for the Pipe ! ! !

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatrockbill

Lurker
Feb 17, 2014
On Valentine's Day of this year i decided to go ahead and purchase a pipe, just a cheap corncob Missouri Meerschaum and some tobacco (Apple from John Middleton and Prince Albert each in 1 1/2ounce pack).
I have run into some very confusing issues,
1. I smoked 2 packs a day of PallMall full flavor Red's. So you can imagine I smoked often and furiously attempting to not waste any of the tobacco.
2. At $8-9 a day I was spending an absorbent amount of money on tobacco and for the last 3 days, the $12 I spent on the the pipe and the tobacco has lasted me just fine. But..
3. Can you really only smoke once of twice a day per any particular pipe? For the amount of tobacco i currently smoke I would need to 20 or so pipes in my possession and that seems to be a little ridiculous, so how am i going to decrease the risk of using pipes while bringing down the amount that I smoke?
4. There are a few examples on how to get the "Nic" rush I need by inhaling the pipe smoke once or twice, and I have found that the pipe last quite a bit longer to smoke which deters my need for a cigarette, but I am looking to make this a permanent transition and I know there will be some willpower needed to fight through the withdraws, I was just hoping maybe someone can guide me through this process to make it a little easier.
5. Unfortunately I think I just about to burnout the corncob as I have smoked it hot, often and probably not correctly as a dark line is forming on the outside of the pipe... so how do you clean out the pipe, no matter how long I have smoked it, up to 45 minutes, there is still charred tobacco standing in the pipe that has be to be knocked out, is this normal?
6. I would also like a suggestion of a good tobacco that doesnt taste like trash but has high nic levels?
Thanks for all your guidance, and note I am enjoying the experience so far and would like to maintain interest in the hobby and making the full transition from cigarettes.

You're probably going to want to curb your nicotine intake before adjusting to the pipe. As the pipe takes about 30-45 for the nicotine to make its way into your blood via the small blood vessels of your mouth and sinuses. And, if you start off with the strongest blends, you will be bored with the pipe in no time flat, and you'll be back on the cigs.
I can suggest some strong blends, but like I said, starting out at the strongest just isn't going to do much good. Peterson's Irish Flake, G&H Dark Flake unscented, Dunhill's Nightcap, D&R Rowland Platinum, all of these are strong blends.
As for the pipe. It's a cob, use the heck out of it and throw it away. They're cheap.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Welcome aboard Bill. Many guys have used the pipe to get off the cigs and they will weigh in momentaril with much helpful advice. Hoping you will find that over time the pipe will cease being just a nic delivery system and more an enjoyable pass time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can buy a bag of smokeable MM cob seconds, ten for thirty bucks I think. This should last you quite

a while. A family member kicked cigarettes by only smoking in one place, a "smoking station," and putting

all the butts in a mason jar, to make it unappetizing. If you can get away from inhaling with the pipe, that

would be a good thing. Quitting the nails is difficult. I think the pipe is a better alternative.

Maybe this will be more helpful. I used a single briar pipe (Savinelli Piuma) and smoked it about twelve times a day, everyday for over a month. It can be done, but just pull a cleaner through it after each smoke and let it cool off before smoking again. later in the day, it will start to gurgle a little, just slow down more at that point. And, as you can buy more pipes. Or, stock up on corn cobs if you like them. I have no suggestions for cleaning them, as I found that the fuzzy insides just tore up pipe cleaners.
I would also sip in a quick inhale occasionally to give me that lung feeling of getting nicotine. However, if you do it too much, you'll just end up with the same problem you have now. So, try not to do this too often. It still requires a tad bit of will power.
I might suggest instead of the strongest blends, go for Escudo or another VaPer of Virginia blend. They will give you a satisfying tobacco taste with a sufficient supply of vitamin N.
Eventually, you will want a rotation of pipes. It just makes sense, but there's no rules on it. I rest some of mine overnight and some I let stand for weeks. Just do what you want on that.
I hope this helps. And, welcome to the forums. I think the most stressful time in my entire life was switching from cigs to the pipe. May the force be with you :wink:

smokeyb

Lurker
Feb 16, 2014
Hi Bill, we are in the same boat. I took up pipe smoking two weeks ago and have had five cigarettes in that time. That's down from a pack a day for the last thirty years. I'm going to defer to the more experienced pipe smokers to answer your questions but I will offer one tip I have stumbled on. As far as a hot pipe goes, the wetter your tobacco is, the hotter it will burn. I have started spreading several bowls worth on a plate in the morning and letting it dry for an hour or so before I pack it up and take it with me for the day. It has helped me keep my cob temperature down to a manageable level and I get more flavor out of the drier tobacco. I also don't worry a bit about smoking bowl after bowl in my cob. After dumping and cleaning the dregs out of the bottom of the bowl I just run a pipe cleaner all the way down the stem and spin it a few times to get up any moisture. I hope that helps!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have never really been a cigarette smoker other than when I was very young and smoked Woodbines or rolled my own but I can see how addictive they can be. May I suggest the following regime. Monday you smoke your pipe after breakfast and ration yourself to one or two cigarettes only when required before lunch. After lunch smoke your pipe and resume work. In the afternoon try smoking your pipe about 3.30 and if need be have a cigarette. After work smoke your pipe but avoid things you associate with cigarette smoking - going the bar etc. Smoke your pipe in the evening and with some will power you will have smoked no more than three cigarettes. Once you have got through the first week you will find that cigarettes have an acidic taste verses the subtle flavors produced by the pipe. Treat your pipe like your first date and let the mouth do the work and absorb the nicotine. Over time the idea of inhaling pipe smoke will fade. Other advantages are you will start to taste food again which is always fun. Anyway those are my thoughts based on a chum of mine who quit cigarettes a few years ago using the above system.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I've been through exactly what you're doing. It's not that hard, really, if you put some willpower into it and do the following (IMO):

A) You only need two or three pipes right now. Cobs are fine. One is okay if you clean it regularly, but you will need at least a 3-day rotation soon.

B) Strong tobacco blends that can give you enough nicotine. Prince Albert is actually not a bad choice. It's kind of medium/light in nicotine, but you CAN inhale small amounts of it to get a fix. Most pipe tobaccos are made to be smoked only in a pipe, and are seriously unpleasant to inhale. Prince Albert is one of the few exceptions. I prefer Carter Hall by the same company, but they are fairly close.

Here are the blends I was able to quit with. They are all available from most e-tailers at a reasonable price:

1. Old Joe Krantz, by Cornell and Diehl. This is the best stuff in the world for weaning off smokes. It has good nicotine, tastes nice and is more forgiving on the tongue than most blends.

2. Dark Flake, by Gawith ( Hoggarth. This stuff is potent. Do NOT inhale it, ever, unless your life depended on it. There is both a flavored and unflavored version. Pick your position.

3. Burley Flake Number Two, by Cornell and Diehl. Similar to Old Joe Krantz.

4. Aged Burley Flake, by Solani. This is more expensive than the others, but very nice.

5. Bosun Cut Plug, by Gawith ) Hoggarth. This is plenty strong, very tasty, and available at a good price point.

You will save money over the long run with pipes. A pound of the most "premium," highest-priced pipe tobacco, which should last 3 weeks even if you are a heavy smoker, is way less than the cigs would be.

C) Remember, dry your tobacco for a few minutes before smoking and smoke slowly. You want a bowl to last at least 30 minutes (maybe 20 for a cob, if it's got a small bowl). If you pick the right blend, you won't need to smoke fast in order to get your nicotine fix.

Jan 8, 2013
I have been working through same issue for a while now. I picked smoking a pipe about 2 years ago, but in the last few months Ive decided to drop cigarettes and go pipe exclusive. Its difficult,and I too tend to smoke a little hot. Theres a ton of good advise here, so I wont rehash all of it, but, having a few pipes to rotate certainly helps. Im just getting to that point, and expect to find a few bad ones on the way. Much like cosmicfolklore,i have a stanwell 19 that I smoked several times a day for afew months, just let it cool between bowls and keep it swabbed out and you will be good to go. I buy a lot of inexpensive aromatics, Tinderbox blends mainly, and smoke them a little on the fast side. Finding briars with nice thick walls can help, but learning to just enjoy the pipe for the pipe and not expecting it to be a cigarette is key to success. It will take willpower, and time. But, hey, while your waiting, how bout another bowl...

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
Various pipe tobaccos have a high nicotine content - Irish Flake, Royal Yacht, for example. It's a different hit though - a build up that takes a while, typically ending (for me at least) in a state of sedentary euphoria that isn't conducive to popping back into the office and doing something useful. Combined with alcohol it's heavenly, but I can't smoke a bowl of Irish Flake during a lunch break and be productive.
If you want to stop smoking cigarettes and are working or spending time with family when you can't smoke, I would suggest that you try a combination of snus and pipes.
If you are sitting around with not much to do, I would suggest smoking a pipe and slowly cutting down your cigarette intake.
Personally I enjoy using snus during the day when needed. If I have downtime and am able to smoke a pipe, well, there's nothing like it.
If I wanted to stop all kinds of inhaled smoke related nicotine delivery, I'd use snus and then try to cut down on that.
The interesting thing about moving from an instant nicotine hit (cigarettes) to a slow but constant 'stream' (pipe or snus) is that you have to take time to understand the difference. Nothing delivers that nicotine fix like a cigarette. That said, moving to the world of slower delivery via snus for convenience or pipe smoking when possible, is wonderful - you just have to sit back and let it work.
For example, I am not allowed to smoke at home. I used to go away for work, smoke lots of cigarettes and then be in a foul mood all weekend when I couldn't smoke. Now I wake up, slip a General mini snus under my lip, have a cup of tea and meet the family in an excellent mood, usually forgetting the snus is even there.
My main problem now is seeking out pipe smoking opportunities! Not so much for the need for nicotine but because I desperately want to be in situation of sitting back, doing nothing and just relaxing for a couple of hours.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I agree about curbing the nicotine intake for the moment. I've experienced the same thing with changing from chewing tobacco. When I first started with my pipes which was only about 3 months ago, It just was not as satisfying so I found myself having a chew every now and then. I needed something to keep me interested/busy and I needed to develop an appreciation for both flavor and aroma. It actually makes it a bit fun.
What I did was I bought a whole butt load of tobacco in 1.0oz packages from pipes and cigars. So I have tons of different tobaccos now. One hour it might be some sort of maple, next chocolate, next, nougat, etc etc. The more I switch it around, the more I start to notice the really small complexities of tobacco wich in my mind is both interesting and fun.
I am still figuring out what pipes to smoke. I have about 9 or 10 of them. Sometimes I will smoke 5 of them in one day. Other times, I will smoke one for two days straight lol. I'm just seeing how that will play out and if I actually get any benefit from a rotation at all.
I would recommend you buy a monthly blend from pipes and cigars. Try the Yule Log. Just buy one ounce at 2 and a half dollars and check out different tobaccos like that. I would not buy any tobacco over 1.75 ounces yet unless you find one that you really really like.
btw. good choice on the Missouri corns. With my experience so far, at my green newbie stage, you don't need any other pipe than a corn cob. Sort of sad really because I really want a cool looking pipe, but nothing I have smokes better than the cob :(
My wife is probably getting real tired with me and my pipe talk, and I haven't had a pinch of chew in about 4 weeks.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Buy a few Cobs mate. Prince Albert has a decent Nic, as does Drum, 5 Brothers, Kendalls Kentucky, just to mention a few. Inhaling a few times will help with the need for that immediate Nic hit, over time, you can decrease the inhales. Smoke 1/4 to 1/2 a bowl at a time, set the pipe down and come back to it when you feel the need again, as you did with cigs. In time, your need for that "Immediate Nic Hit" will diminish and you can better adjust to X amount of bowls a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.