PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah………..Condor” was the catchphrase on TV adverts in the early 60s, when I was just a boy. They featured a man enjoying his pipe, oblivious to all external influences, contemplating the tobacco. Then he would whisper, “Aaah……Condor!!”
This changed colloquial non-piping language for a good few years, at least in the UK:

- If someone seemed lost in thought, they might be taunted by “CONDOR!!”

- Or, you could be having a “Condor Moment”
I don’t smoke Condor, but I have lots of Condor Moments when I am smoking. I might be typing or reading, then at some time in the smoke the flavour kicks me in the cojones and I MUST stop whatever else I am doing, contemplate the flavours……..and marvel at them!!
In my case this happens most often with FVF, BBF, ODF, Germain’s LF, GH&Co’s Dark Flake, Revor Plug, black ropes……………..
Am I off my trolley? Am I alone?
MUST stop typing now…………………

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I was gifted two pouches of condor, ready rubbed and long cut, but have yet to smoke them.
I looked up some condor moment commercials on youtube once and my favorite was the one with the remote controlled boats on the lake. Hah that was an awesome way to keep the condor moment going.
As far as condor moments with other tobaccos, I had a condor moment with some boswell's northwoods yesterday. I really zoned out to it.

May 31, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIwFRZXUA4

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7lbdq9sqP4

:

condor.jpg

You ain't alone, I have trancelike moments with good toby too...
...but Condor really has lately given me multiple moments!

The more I get to know it the more I love it, I've smoked 100g in fairly short order and it puts me in the proper spot every time without fail.
I used to be frightened of it, its reputation is notorious, it's love/hate, and since most folks said it was soapy floral I thought I wouldn't like it, I don't really care for the extreme floral stuff and alotta folks say that Condor is indeed extreme...
...I had also read about its legendary ghosting abilities, not that it would simply ghost a pipe, but it would demonically possess it and never let it go LOL...
...now it ranks higher than St. Bruno in my book, something I never thought would have happened, but thanks to Jason (klause) for sending me some plug and Long Cut and to Alan (reborn briar) for giving me a great deal onna old patent Parker that had a very slight Condor ghost, I found the perfect moment. The Parker didn't seem to want to smoke well with Lat blends, it didn't take to VaBurs, and then finally I just smoked some Condor innit and it responded with happiness, after several bowls it was singing as sweetly as could be, glad to have its old friend back, and I also felt like I was honoring not only the pipe, but the former owner who had lovingly broken it in over the years so well for me to still enjoy it today, it really is magic I tell you.
I now have 3 Condor briars, probably 1 or 2 more soon because I'm smoking so much of it that it's disrupting my normal rotation.
I'm just so happy I've had the oppo to fly with the mighty Condor!!!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks MLC, you always come through - I LOVE the submarine ad, from the days when ads were often HILARIOUS!! LOL

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
My local B&M gave out free samples of this stuff.. Not to shabby I suppose.. Not sure if I would purchase a tin or not but it did have a different taste and it was cool to try some!

masonwarden

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2014
I've heard that Condor can be hard to find in the US, deuce. I'm waiting on a canker sore to heal - it's certainly interrupting my Condor/pipe moment! Funny commercials!

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
I remember those Condor ads myself in the UK.
Whenever I could not not find St Bruno, I would switch to Condor. It is even more perfumed than St Bruno.
At the duty-free section in Heathrow you could, in earlier days, find both but now it seems they have only Condor.
I have never seen Condor for sale in America.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@junkyarddawg, actually I think 'Gauntley's' (Nottingham UK) does. I know misterlowercase has a supplier - he smokes it all the time. If I smoke it (rarely, these days), I go for the Long Cut.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There was another advert with the fellow who had caught a great big fish - with the caption about a Condor moment. I also remember the one for Swan Vesta with the British pilot being interrogated by the krauts and the German 'Third Reich' style matches refused to burn! British humor before the days of political correctness and women in comfortable shoes!

May 31, 2012
edit,

just noticed this bit

Ironically and surprisingly, in Canada we are not subjected to these policies. That is definitively a first as usually, when something is available in the US, it is not automatically available in Canada, especially pipe tobacco.

so I think you're correct, should be no problem ordering from any tobacconist in the UK it would seem, let us know if this is the case, you may be able to make a small fortune by distributing Germain's Rich Dark Flake over here!
But, for US residents, it's all unobtainium.

:crying:
junkyarddawg -

I've used Mr. Snuff with much success, at first to get my beloved Warrior Plug and sometimes St. Bruno, and recently to get Condor, my last order was wonderful because for some reason they had Condor Long Cut 50g pouches listed for $10.15, they had 5 left, I bought all 5. They ain't restocked it yet so I dunno if that was a closeout deal or what, it ain't been restocked yet in the 50g size, I hope they do because I'd be stoked to have it at that price!

https://mrsnuff.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=67
The only other legit and confirmed retail source I know of is James J. Fox of Dublin,

http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_8

...it's where to get the Plug because it's only sold in Ireland, they also stock Maltan Flake, something I'd like to try,

and maybe Velvan Plug too!

But I ain't done a successful order yet, my Visa card keeps getting hung up because they use the "verified by visa" security thing and I can't figure it out, I tried 3 times and failed, they sent me an email asking me why I didn't complete my order and I told them but no return email, the lady at my credit union explained that when I place the order I'll get a phone call or something with a secret code, yowza, it was a hassle for me, maybe for the best though as I was gonna spend too much money anyway LOL I have read about people from USA making orders and coming through good.
...other than that, it's trading with friends.
Also, be sure to have a look in some of your local antique shops, some great dusty stuff might be sitting on the shelf, like Steve Laug who found an old cutter top of Condor, these beautiful (and smokeable!) artifacts are still out there!

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/tobacciana-dating-an-old-cutter-top-tin-of-condor-sliced/
And,

this tin is currently up for grabs on ebay, but it ain't worth the asking price imho...

k7xhQha.jpg

RpAUvb3.jpg

1ql3wyz.jpg

R4Pg9BG.jpg

Here's a quote I found from 1996, I agree about becoming an Anglophile part because of the very same reason,

Due to the lack of Condor

in the United States, many of us have searched long and hard to find a pipe tobacco as

distinctive, rich, strong, and cool smoking as this excellent blend. However, the search has

been in vain. There's nothing quite like Condor, even though St. Bruno and Walnut Flake are

both quite good.
Perhaps it's the strength of Condor that so many folks have a problem with. I smoke very little

(1-2 bowls a day), so I tend to like a nice, full, memorable bowl whenever I light up. Many of

tobaccos here in the States have a nice flavor and aroma, but don't deliver much punch. I think

that's why I've become an Anglophile when it comes to pipe tobacco: many of the British blends

are very satisfying, and don't shy away from imparting a good measure of strength.
A lot of folks here in the States complain about Condor's aroma, both in the pouch and when it's

burning. They say it leaves a persistent and unpleasant residue of flavor in their pipes.

Well, I pride myself on having a pipe that is reserved entirely for Condor. The cake of this

pipe delivers such a rich flavor and aroma that it makes me salivate just thinking about it.
Perhaps Condor is an "acquired" taste, appealing more to the experienced smoker. Few people

start out liking the rich taste of Scotch, Guiness Stout, or Condor for that matter. After

their taste buds gain some experience, however, they often change their tune.
Mark Shelor
...more quotes from the same conversation:

It's among the most heavily cased (perfumed) tobaccos on the market.

Gums up the machines used to slice the flakes. Has a unique flavor that

will hang in your pipe, so use care which wood you put it in. Wouldn't

dream of putting it in my favorite pipes, but it's a nice change of

pace.
The worst tobacco I have ever tried. I could not get the taste out of the pipe after only one smoke.
It was very strong! Too much for my taste.
I could distinctly taste Condor in a pipe that hadn't been smoked for about 15 years. It is awful stuff imho, but it is probably the best selling tobacco in the U.K.?
This doesn't surprise me at all - Condor is the most, err.... - well now.. unique, that's it, unique pipe tobaco that I've ever had the misfortune to experience.
In the UK, I found a fair number of veteran pipe smokers who would smoke nothing but Condor Original. I found it a good tobacco, but I prefer the taste of Gawith & Hoggarth flake tobaccos.
Condor has a very strong, long lasting flavour, that once you get used to you tend to keep on liking. Of course I smoke other tobacco's but I still keep a couple of ounces of Condor on the go.
Umm! I don't know about several variations. I know only one 'Condor'. I've tried it and I didn't like it. Too heavily perfumed.
What they say is: Derby people are strong int th'arm an' wick int th'ead. Now we Nottingham folk are renowned or our good taste. I like an even mix of Grand Cut (Loose from Josiah Brown) and Ogden's Gold Block. Unlike Condor, totally natural and no nasty flavours.
Hmmm! back to me hammock :)
The taste is Unique, but then so is the taste of many Scotch Whiskies, and if asked to describe it I would be hard put to come up with an adequate description, but I don't smoke rubber - or other strange substances either.
I certainly would not recommend it to anyone used to smoking the milder kind of tobacco that I have received from freinds in the states, it just is so different, but if you like a strong- and I do mean strong -tobacco, then this may be to your taste.
I would also agree that it's taste is singular but what do you want? A single Malt with a distinctive and unique taste, or a cocktail? You pays yer money and you makes yer choice.
well, your review of Condor isn't very ambiguous. It is definitely a high nicotine tobacco and I can understand how its aroma is an either love it or hate it situation.... I remmeber you despise Erinmore as well,

so how could you possibly enjoy Condor? It's interesting to me though when someone doesn't like a tobacco, the y say it tastes/smells like burning rubber. I"ve tried many blends I don't like, but have yet to find one that tastes like burning rubber myself.
For me the most ironic thing is that I always find I have a somewhat sensitive tongue, but I don't find Condor to be a harsh smoke. What I find harsher are the McClelland blends that get so many rave reviews. I enjoy their tastes but just don't find tongue bite to be pleasant... obviously you don't either, since that was something that got to you about Condor.
Different strokes for different folks.
...and this is a priceless exchange:
Back in 1992, on vacation in London, I bought a nice little pipe from

Astley's. I was young and foolish and everybody in England was smoking

Condor, so I bought some and broke-in in the new pipe with it. At first, I

thought I liked it, so I bought a bunch and kept smoking it after returning

home. After a few months (yes, I'm a little slow sometimes) I decided that

I did NOT actually enjoy smoking Condor.
Here we are, 10.5 years later. I've cleaned this damned pipe so many damned

times with so many different damned sweeteners...I reamed it, I smoked

Latakia blends in it for a while, and I thought I had exorcised the Condor

demons from this pipe.
But no. Here I sit, smoking a lovely bowl of Astley's No.2 (Virginia with a

small dose of Perique). All was well until about two-thirds down into the

bowl. And that *#^!$%*! Condor is back again...haunting me.
I don't want to do the salt treatment. The salt treatment frightens me.

And I don't want to bake my pipe in an oven. Baking my pipe in an oven

frightens me. And I don't want to smoke Condor.
Suggestions?
-Sean
Here are a few:
1. Learn to like and smoke Condor

2. Learn to like Condor flavoured tobacco of other genres

3. Put the pipe on display, and use it as a memento of your misguided

youth

4. Burn the pipes for warmth on a cold, Canadian winter's even, while

smoking something you like...
-glp
Hi Sean that s an easy one! My friend and great Condor devotee Chet

Gotfried ( a former ASP er) asked me to try some while visiting my

shop one day. I used a pipe I try blends out on. I filled the bowl

took a couple puffs, almost threw up, and then dumped the bowl. I

reamed it out, cleaned it, soaked it in alcohol and eventuall put it

in the dishwasher! So if you want to save yourself some trouble,

JUST THROW THE PIPE OUT. It s the final solution to the problem. I

eventually did this and it cured the problem.( no TIC)

- Mark Tinksy
There are two morals to be drawn from this:
1. Don't be in the same room when Mark tries a new tobacco. (I never did

manage to clean those stains off my shirt.)
2. If you want a free Tinsky pipe, quietly go about his place and put

some Condor in those pipes you want.
Happy New Year!

--Chet
lol......i am laughing myself to death by imagining sean's face while

reading mork's and greg's comments.

personally i smoke condor now and then and yes i have a few pipes devoted to

the same. condor is not for everyone, but i am a nut.
the only person who can kill a condor was orsen wells, and he did it with a

fart. believe me sean, he could fart in chicago and kill a condor in the

andes.

but......that's too late.

...and don't blame me for the information. it was buddy hackett who told me that

cheers

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well as a one pouch a day man for thirty odd years I cannot taste any other blend as they all seem to lack strength and flavor! I think the smell is wonderful especially the next day as I sort through my ash tray for the dottles for my morning pipe with my coffee. If Condor was available as an aftershave I would buy it and wear it all the time. It is in my opinion gods gift to pipe smoking and when mixed with brown twist is even better from a nicotine perspective. It also guarantees that no one will ever steal one of my meerschaum pipes as the 'ghosting' of the pipe will make the average puffer turn green. Cheeper than insuring the collection!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Wish *we* had Condor, or that I grew up in England.
Round here there weren't "Condor moments." I would just hear people in the distance trying to be discreet when they asked each other, "Is that big kid retarded?"
If only I was smoking Condor at the time. Dammit.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I know that we used to have Condor here in the States. When I worked at a pipe/tobacco shop in the 80s, we regularly had tins in stock. According to my tasting notes, it was labelled "Gallaher's Condor Long Cut."
Bob

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Didn't you make bird noises and fly the can around the store or something? Lol. I tried it and my secretary thought I had lost my marbles!

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I remember that advert with the boat from when I was a child. I was quite fascinated by the idea of a remote controlled submarine.
I believe the time for me to try this famous tobacco is fast approaching. It is the only one that is available over the counter anywhere in my city unless of course I go to one of the larger supermarkets. Every time I go in the shop I see this stuff staring at me over the counter. And every time I have an internal monologue about it. All the good reviews and all the bad run through my mind and I end up deciding not to.
The only other over the counter blend I have tried is St Bruno flake and I enjoy that very much. This is not because of tobacco snobbery it's just that as I mentioned the only one I can buy anywhere is Condor. Every time I buy tobacco I either get it from a tobacconist in Cardiff which sells just about anything. Or I order it online. As a result I don't give the OTC blends a thought.
Next time I hear said internal monologue and catch myself gawping at the green packet as I await my turn in the queue. I shall just go for it.
I wonder which camp I will end up in. The lovers or the haters.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Jazz--If you like St. Bruno you will very likely like Condor as well. It's a bit stronger, both in scenting and in base tobaccos, but the same basic sport. I was scared snotless to try it til it was gifted to me by a Brit friend and I just took the plunge. A truly awesome pipe tobacco and one I will NEVER be without. I absolutely adore it.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I'm getting very ancy for my shipment to arrive in 2 weeks. I just hope I can wait.
Condorlover- 2 pouches a day! Dear God! You are a fortunate man! I only wish I could burn that much Condor. Truly the best tobac ever conceived. I would eat the stuff and bathe in it, and welcome any or all my pipes to a Condor ghost!

K

klause

I'm currently finishing off a stash of Ready Rubbed that has aged for 8 years!
If you think the fresh stuff is good I'd recommend you hide some away and forget about it for a few years, longer, if you can. Then, when you remember it, you will be transported, body and soul, to where ever your concept of heaven is.
I've smoked a few aged blends in my time, but, heavens above, this one is head and shoulders above all the rest. There is nothing that comes close - it really is that good. So much so that I have jarred up a well aged couple of pouches and intend to leave 'em till my retirement - 25 years to go!!!!!! That is going to be my reward to myself for not going berserk between now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.