Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I feel bad about laughing at this, but it is definitely written in a comedic way.
When A. Miller first sent me this article for publication, I thought he was writing more satire. However, when I got a little further in, I wasn't so sure, so I wrote to ask him.
He is not making it up. He has to quit smoking pipes for a year. Find out why in the article.
A Year without Tobacco: 6-Months In

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I don't get the OP's logic, deceive the insurance company now (say you don't smoke) or in the future, what's the difference? Read the fine print of the legal documents, you are only assuaging your own guilt now or in the future; by not smoking now. The minute you begin to smoke again, your contract could or would be null and void anyway. Sorry to be the bearer of legal fact.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Hopefully they won’t change the wording of the insurance form to “Have you used tobacco products anytime during the last 5 years ?”
If they did, this poor fellow may jump off a bridge !

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
So I talked at length with my insurance company about this. My understanding (and I am not a lawyer) is that they give me the rate based on whether I have been smoke free for a year or not. After that if I decide to go sky diving or smoking all day long every day, they cannot raise my rate or deny me the benefit I'm paying for. I dug and dug... and maybe that's just this company, but that is how they do this.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Insurance documents I have seen have forms enclosed saying that you MUST notify them of ANY change to the initial statement of terms and conditions. They have also been known to randomly call people and ask for attestations that nothing has changed from when initial contract was started.
I went through similar stuff. Hey a year off is good for the soul. Prove to yourself you can do it. If you ever get a phone call or letter of attestation, hang up, gagagagagaga.
Some insurance companies allow for up to 12 cigars and an occasional cigarette without tripping up the "non-smoker" status.
Good luck, you are half way to the finish line.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
They've told me they are legally bound to not raise the rate after that initial quote for the duration of the term.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The best insurance is to invest in successful insurance companies. The good ones are cash cows.

My insurance was explained to me as amiller says, but maybe they all have different policies. But, ultimately I think the article is suppsed to be funny. It is a far cry from an informative article on insurance policies. I enjoyed the article, and laughed,.. well chuckled, with a few guffaws thrown in. Good stuff! :puffy:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I have an insurance company that actually has a qualifier for pipe and cigar smokers. So, I pay a little more but not the ransom that many insurance companies charge for smokers.
Life is too short to give up pipe smoking for a whole year for saving a grand or two on insurance each year. We all have an expiration date stamped on our butts and only God can see it. So, I enjoy each day to the fullest, and that includes 3-4 nice pipes loaded with nice tobacco!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I work for a health insurance company, and in our employee health benefit policy there is an exemption for tobacco use if it is used for "religious or ceremonial" purposes. So... I am enjoying a little tobacco ceremony right now.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I would put 300$ every month in my saving account and keep on smoking :)

Status
Not open for further replies.