PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
My brother was kind enough to send this to me the other day via Facebook. Michael Pollan has written some excellent material about the human relationship to our flora and fauna, chief among them being the excellent Botany of Desire that I read in High School. His latest works have found him delving into the depths of the human relationship with food and nutrition and our lack of knowledge regarding nutritional science. He has written a lot of work about eating habits that will make America healthier as a whole, and a lot of the content he writes about is so simple that I almost can't believe that we need to be reminded of this. This video sums up his philosophy and viewpoint very well and is worth taking some time out of your day to watch, at least for me it was. It really opened my eyes and changed the way I look at food and cooking and hope that it will make an impact on some of you as well. I have since started reading Mr. Pollan's works and find them fascinating and very entertaining. I am not being paid to write about this and have no affiliation with Mr. Pollan, I am just a really big fan and I think he is doing us all a great service by writing about this. Take a look and let me know what you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX7kwfE3cJQ

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I read somewhere that Pollan's advice on health and nutrition can be winnowed down to a few simple words: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants". Good advice in my opinion.
A few years ago I read Dr. Joel Furhman's "Eat to Live" (similar philosophy to Pollan's) and took it to heart. I lost 30 lbs, my bad LDL cholesterol cut in half. I still eat meat and junk food now and then, but instead of 80% of my diet being processed foods and animal products, it is now closer to 20% or less.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've read a number of Pollan's books, and they're quite thought-provoking. Between them and "Fast Food Nation", I've been reducing my consumption of junk over time, and this year it's paying off as I ramp up my exercise again.

Status
Not open for further replies.