PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
VdPcK8b.jpg

YUCv3DB.jpg

bLJ9n2p.jpg

Player's introduced the Digger brand in 1917.

It was an all Empire-leaf baccy, stuff grown in Rhodesia, Nyasaland, India or Canada.
Empire or Commonwealth tobacco had a lower duty tax, so brands which were made with them sold at a lower cost.

Digger was mostly sold in foil packets and there was a whole spectrum of forms to choose from - shag, mixture, mixture coarse cut, cut plug, flake, flake ready rubbed, roll, pigtail, honey-dew brown or black cavendish cut.
1917 would have been a difficult year to bring out a new brand because of WW1, and many British tobo manufacturers supplied baccy for the troops via the War Office.
I found some available data about one company, the behemoth Wills, and in 1917 they supplied the War Office with 541,000lbs., in 1918 it was 819,876lbs., and that's just the pipe tobacco, not including cigarettes...
...needless to say, soldiers needed tobacco. As the US General Pershing once cabled to the govt - "Tobacco is as indispensable as the daily ration - we must have thousands of tons of it without delay."
The term "digger" had come to mean an Australian soldier, there were quite a few of them in England during those days, it derived back from the old Aussie gold rush days, but it particularly fit because of the trench warfare style of WW1 - the term is still in use today in Australia to denote a soldier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digger_%28soldier%29

3DJO7Y1.jpg

wTGIenS.gif

I've never smoked Digger in any of its forms, but the 25g flake was available in the USA for quite some time, I'm unsure exactly when production ceased, but it could have been around as late as 2008?
Pipestud recently had a 25g packet up for grabs that was hand-dated 1999,

it sold for $33

PLAYER'S DIGGER FLAKE FULL AND FACTORY SEALED 25 GRAM BOX NOT TIN - PIPE STUD
The professor gives a review here:

http://pipes.priss.org/misc.php#digger
...and on TR it's said to have been somewhat similar to St. Bruno

http://pipes.priss.org/misc.php#digger
An internal document of analysis from the BAT archives compared it closely to Erinmore, with Digger having fruity, floral, and sour characteristics.
A 1986 magazine article talking about local tastes for specific tobaccos in England said that Digger had a particularly strong following in the Midlands.
It must have been very popular, it even had a television commercial,

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/743077

Player's was always on top form with their advertising, and Digger is no exception, the large posters on buildings at the end of the pix must've been all over the place - as a sidenote I was recently watching the movie The Remains of the Day and noticed a Digger poster hanging on the wall in a short pub scene, I'm becoming a crazy trainspotter while watching period flicks! LOL
Well, that's all I got!

Very short indeed!
Any additional info is most welcomed and appreciated!!!
Digger had a strikingly iconic logo,

so off we go to the picture show...

zoHOJy0.jpg

2qhfHJV.png

AmKCfEU.jpg

f2YO84b.jpg

yu9jqRV.jpg

gFHKyIK.jpg

srrZ4NR.jpg

Xbv831o.jpg

RypcvIG.jpg

tAyd766.jpg

TsDG8Qx.jpg

yi7P4Ep.jpg

fhw5tAH.jpg

LmXwl9t.jpg

jFVNbBe.jpg

GGo1U30.jpg

DaW0s8F.jpg

Rk1gqfQ.jpg

anaLWEw.jpg

PMLkgoK.jpg

eekOh0m.jpg

uXNsrsj.jpg

ggVofAV.jpg

Yx7Jmfm.jpg

b3PSwgc.jpg

fzHD3ZZ.jpg

aQAtjZk.jpg

pjPbUve.jpg

fksvP9g.jpg

ugi94XY.jpg

image.html

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
"misterlowercase , I LOVE your posts! Can not thank you enough... "

That makes two of us! Thank you my friend well done as usual.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Always a pleasure sir . Thank you kindly for posting such cool history of our way of life . :puffpipe:

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I for one would love to see these threads in some type of compendium - it would make for an amazing of a coffee-table book!

May 31, 2012
Somehow a while back I stumbled onto an old unopened foil packet of Digger, in the honeydew variant, but it feels like a dry crunchy brick of shaggish stuff way past its due date and I don't plan on opening it -- it'll be just another needless artifact caught in the scatter of my mass.

:|
Here's a few poorly lit photos, with Australian desert-issue camo as background,

DPDU (Disruptive Pattern Desert Uniform)

aka auscam aka ozcam aka hearts and bunnies...

smHFwgb.jpg

YDgOPKk.jpg

FfPayy6.jpg

ciUVmoM.jpg

WJdJYUR.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Lord that just lit up a bulb in my head! I remember Digger in the yellow tin foil packs. It always sat next to the tins of Nut Brown which was once a popular rolling tobacco. I don't think I have seen it for sale in many a year when visiting the UK. I purchased a pack in 1982/83 and really did not care for it but I smoked my way through it on the train to work in the morning - you had smoking carriages in those days in British Railways! Thank you for the walk down memory lane - really lovely to see those old packs again. :)

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Mister lowercase should really have his avatar changed to something which merits the man. 'His excellency' or 'the pontiff' something along those lines I feel would be more suited. The time & effort the man must take to put together his wonderful posts alone deserve an upgrade. Players digger I remember vividly as a young boy. My local corner shop had abig display, selling it then in the brown & orange cardboard cartons. I remember the old boys coming in an buying it while chugging away on their pipes. The smell was something of wonder to my pre-pubescent nostrils. I recently snagged a pack of digger shag in the red foil pack like the picture you have posted. Seems pretty good too, not dry or crunchy. Going to smoke it tonight after seeing your post, along with a nice glass of scotch. The glass I will raise to you misterlowercase! Good show sir.

May 31, 2012
Thanks for all the kind words gents.
SimonG,

the personal reminisces are priceless,

thanks for sharing that.
Congrats on the shag,

enjoy it well!

:puffy:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yet another example of why MLC's threads need to be gathered and put on a separate "Pipe History" board.
WTF, Kevin?
A solid platinum opportunity for this site to significantly and permanently contribute to the hobby, served---for free---on a solid gold platter, and it's ignored. Museum-quality threads like this one are allowed to slowly sink out of sight month after month, year after year.
Will someone please explain this to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.