PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I've had this Canadian shape pipe for awhile now and just want to say how well it smokes. It even whistles! Thinking back it was the third pipe I purchased when I had no knowledge about pipes. The only way I would improve this pipe would be using a saddle bit stem because it would make it easier to grip with the teeth and use no hands to hold in place. This tapered bit tends to slip forward and creates more weight to keep in place. I only have two Canadian shape pipes at the moment but always looking to add to my collection. I truly love the shape of the Canadian with their long shanks.
This pipe is unmarked as far as the maker and is only stamped with '130 Italy'. I'm thinking it was made by Savinelli but I am probably wrong. I'd enjoy finding more like this one!
p5201851-600x450.jpg

p5201852-600x450.jpg

p5191599-600x450.jpg

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I looked through a Savinelli shape chart but I couldn't find a 130. There's a 130th anniversary pipe but a different shape.
Either way it' a good looking pipe.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is a great looking Canadian. I have that same issue on my 2000 Dunhill 4109. I may eventually have a saddle bit made for it as I clench most of the time. Unfortunately the tapered Canadian bit is not really good for clenching so that pipe does not see much action. A nice Cumberland saddle bit would make it a great pipe while keeping the original Dunhill bit nice and pristine. I have an early 90's Ashton Canadian and the bit on that one has much less taper. Even though it is a lot longer than the Dunhill it is a much better clencher.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks jah for looking it up! Who knows who made it? Still it's a great smoker. I'd just love to find out the mfg.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a Rad Canadian and it is one of my favourite smokers. I love the long shank, and the way it is shaped (oval) just makes it very comfortable to hold.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Durham, just an update. I decided to get off my butt and send my 4109 off to Mike Myers for a saddle bit conversion. He received the pipe yesterday and I should have it back in mid July. If that is the case I won't be able to try it out and post some pics until the end of July. I went with a Cumberland saddle bit w/ white dot inlay, 1 3/4 inches long, and a 5/32 draft hole with a conical tenon and a more pronounced button similar to a Rad Davis style bit with a nice open draw. The pipe's overall length will increase by about 3/8 of an inch. 4109's are a bit short anyway. I am really looking forward to smoking the finished pipe. I think it will be a huge improvement.
Here is a before pic.
null_zps8787da17.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.