PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi all
On the week of 22nd May I am leading a small group on a trip to Krakow. I have been several times to Poland before but have never had time to explore the pipe and tobacco culture. Does anyone know of any decent shops in Krakow? Or have any general advice about pipes and tobacco in Poland?
Many thanks

Mike

Reactions: davidka

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Not able to help there Mike but I would be interested to hear what sort of anti smoking legislation they have over there and if the tobacco prices are as crippling as ours are.
Have a great trip :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

joshb

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2015
Sounds like an awesome trip. Its on my bucket list being a WWII nut.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know Poland, but it is worth the research. Supposedly Poland has some pipe workshops that do contract work for known brands not associated with Poland. I'm thinking maybe Nording has some work done there.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Thanks guys. I am only going for four days (home again on the 26th). I have been to Krakow before - main features are the Salt Mines, the Jewish quarter/ghetto (which includes the Schindler factory) and Auschwitz-Birkenau. We have one totally free day to do as we wish - it will be then that I will go exploring.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Mr Didache yet Mr Jay, I do know Poland(Polska) first off, if any pipe tobaccos they mostly sell S&G blends alongside with Both Amphoras and some most popular Mc Barens Blends such as Scottish Mixtures, Golden Blend and other danish type mixtures(stanwell tobacco for instance)then there is this Stanislaw Brand, all imported PipeTobaccos are a bit cheaper in comparition to German prices,and definitely Much cheaper than in England,but assumably the assortiment you would find is pretty narrow,additionally I've been told that Polish Government just banned all tobaccoproducts online sellings, at least bordercrossing transactions are strictly prohibited.Hope this helped somewhat

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Thanks Paulie ... as it happens I rather like SG blends. Half a dozen tins at a price much cheaper than at home will make me a happy bunny.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I, having been raised largely by my Polish grandmother, have been very interested in trying some of the Polish tobacco. I've been told it is mostly OTC quality or lower, but it is less about that and more sentimental. I'd be curious as to what you discover whilst you are there in terms of their tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The first time I went to UK, we stayed in London in Earl's Court at a b&b run by Mrs. Skiba, who was Polish. There is a considerable Polish population in London and in England, I think. I grew up in the Chicago area which is said to have more Polish than Warsaw. I always thought that the accent of the original Mayor Richard J. Daley was a Polish accent picked up on the streets of Chicago, more than an Irish accent, despite his Irish ancestry. There was none of the lyrical lilt nor story tellers gift, but much chewing of consonants. He knew how to run a big city on its own terms but with a stern hand and keep his own hands legally clean. His son was effective in the same way, and bulldozed the lakefront airfield (Meigs) one night at his own command. The Polish and other ethnic groups built some beautiful cathedral-looking churches across the city and in some neighborhoods non-English languages were spoken for generations. Lots of non-melting-pot neighborhoods and still some great Eastern European food.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hi Didache,
I was in Krakow a few months ago and really enjoyed my time there. I did do a little tobacco hunting and came across two shops that I can recommend. The first is a shop near the Barbakan Krakowski. Heading north as you make your way to the gate entrance turn right along a narrow street. The city walls will be on your left and half a block down you come to a small tobacco shop on your right. Here's a photo I took when I was there:
img_3438-450x600.jpg

And here is an image from Google Maps to help you along:

https://www.google.ch/maps/@50.0647931,19.9415984,3a,75y,84.38h,85.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN8nr-pQkLDXZ_GP_mcquzw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
They had a fairly good selection of tobaccos and I picked up a few:
img_3778-600x450.jpg

I'd never heard of any of these, and truth be told, I have yet to open them, but the tins were relatively affordable at around $13.00 per tin. The 10 g pouches were $2.00 or so. Definitely need to open these soon and give them a try!
Another place to find some good deals on pipes and tobacco is, and I hate to say it....the mall! There is a Smoke Shop on the bottom floor of the Galeria Krakowska; here's the link: http://smoke.pl/# The prices for the Stanwell and Peterson pipes I saw were comparable to online prices--the benefit here is that you can handle and inspect them before you buy. They had a smaller collection of pipe tobacco but did have in stock G&H tins of Ultimum, American Delight, Broken Scotch Cake, and Louisiana Flake.
And while you've been to Krakow before I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend our favorite restaurant there called Kuchnia u Doroty. Absolutely fantastic Polish food--we especially liked the zurek, bigos, sole in lemon sauce, and of course the goulash with potato pancakes. They also had local bottled craft beer on offer when I was there which was very good as well. Do give them a try if you have the chance! https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274772-d1993331-Reviews-Kuchnia_u_Doroty-Krakow_Lesser_Poland_Province_Southern_Poland.html
Enjoy your trip, and let us know what you find!

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Correction--on the Google Map link, simply copy and paste the entire link and paste it into your browser; not sure why only part of the link was actually hyperlinked.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
pipefish .. thank you so much for all that! I will note it all down. I am leading a group of 13 people so restaurants all have to be able to accommodate a walk-in group that size. I will spec out your recommendation though. Thanks too for the shop recommendations too. Interesting that they seem to sell some S&G blends that I have never seen in the UK - I wonder if they are just rebranded blends sold here under another name?
I have been to Krakow before - but it was a quite a few years ago now (maybe ten years) so the memory is a little rusty. In the meantime I have become rather fond of another Polish town called Wroclaw.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Didache...you're absolutely welcome. Yes, I've wondered about the S&G tins as well. Unfortunately I'm not a seasoned S&G smoker so even if I did pop the tins I'm not sure if I could tell you whether its original or rebranded.
Funny that you mention Wroclaw; since we've visited Krakow everyone we know has recommended Wroclaw as well. As much as we would like to go back to Krakow we may have to go to Wroclaw instead!
Kuchnia u Doroty is not a big place, but there is a downstairs seating area as well which probably could seat 13 of you--it may be a little tight, though. For a bigger crowd, I would recommend Pod Wawelem: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274772-d1009022-Reviews-Pod_Wawelem-Krakow_Lesser_Poland_Province_Southern_Poland.html
The place is very big and the portion sizes are HUGE and at very reasonable prices. One person on trip advisor said it is slightly touristy. I agree with this assessment (check out the photos) but it's not Hard Rock touristy if you know what I mean. Overall, really good food and a very fun atmosphere--beer, or course, is excellent, and when we were there they gave us a free shot of cherry vodka after our meal.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
pipefish
Wroclaw, among other things, is known for its gnomes and for a rather astonishing panoramic painting. I did AVs (Slide-tape) of both which you might enjoy. They are on Vimeo which is rather like YouTube.
The gnomes: https://vimeo.com/42559701
The panorama: https://vimeo.com/42370465
Both have music so you will need to have your speakers turned up a bit.
Hope you like them

Mike

cstephen

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Krakow is lovely.
There is a tobacconist at the trainstation and also around the main sqaure, I can't remember where but it is on a street off the main sqaure, I bought a pipe back from krakow, a lovely billiard from pear wood which smokes beautifully.
The tobaccos I came across were the alsbo variety, Mac baren and amphora.
I didn't manage to get to the tobacconist at the main train station but from the looks of it, it is quite big and you should find what you are looking for.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Some context on Chicago, @mso4889:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2006/09/why_is_chicago_so_corrupt.html

Status
Not open for further replies.