PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of my pipes are medium sized, Group 4 in Dunhill terms. Recently I have cultivated an

appreciation of small pipes, for intense tobaccos, shorter smokes, or sampling. But I have two

or three really large pipes that just fill the bill for certain times. You need a really big pipe for

spreading out complex tobaccos, aromatics or non-aros with a variety of tobaccos in them.

Also, a large pipe is ideal when you want a solid hour or more of contemplation, or when you want

to smoke a pipe on and off for hours while doing various tasks and returning for the solace of the pipe.

I know some Forums members specialize in giant pipes. But if you don't have any really large pipes, you

might want one. They are a valuable addition to most pipe racks. My favorite large pipes are a

Johs semi-rusticated apple (which I thought was a brandy until about a year after I received it as a

gift, and finally came across the invoice) and an unmarked bent billiard that I believe is made by

Savenelli.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Hear, hear (which I believe is the correct phrase). I like my big pipes. When I sit with a pipe I make sure I have the time for a long smoke. Your points are spot on for having a variety of pipes in one's arsenal.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I have two mammoths, and my eye is on a third from Denmark. I rarely have the time to use any of them during the week, as I'm just too busy and/or too beat to smoke that long. On those quite weekends when I'm home alone, they really are a blessing. A 2 1/2 hour smoke on the deck is a welcomed stress reducer.

Dec 24, 2012
I prefer English and especially Balkan blends in a really large pipe (at least a Group 6). I find that a large pipe really opens up the orientals and allows them to sing. For flakes and other VA-centric blends I prefer a Group 4 or 5.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
My favorite pipes are my collection of Peterson House Pipes and Peterson Plato Freehands, and I absolutely treasure them. Every one is a perfect smoker and provide me with at least a solid hour of smoking relaxation and pleasure. I favor English/Balkan and Va/Per blends in them.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
19996114-7590-47DD-A0A4-3747CF2161F3-15610-000021C077F7A68D_zpse62ce68f.jpg
A Moretti Canadian that I had Norwood bore out larger, the one in my Avatar. Big Enough?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I like Esoterica Pembroke in this huge Randy Wiley egg. This is bigger than a coffee cup.

b326b1d2.jpg

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I tend to smoke my small pipes with more regularity than I do my large pipes. But I 100% agree that a couple of large pipes are a must for any collection. As has been said above, they are necessary when it comes to getting the full enjoyment from a complex blend. I also find them useful when it comes to ribbon cut Virginias as the deep bowl can really allow the subtle flavor's develop.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Agree with everyone.
Brad, you are the king of the large pipe collection!
Large pipes a very handy when someone offers you their tobacco!
Condor, that is funny.
I have also come to believe that a smaller bowl is best for Va's and the larger bowl best for Lat blends for reasons already stated.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
A89AB3C5-AD1A-4316-8FA4-484088044B2C-16618-00001F50BD1A7E49_zpscb8daa3e.jpg
Birdseye on Rim, some of the prettiest I"ve seen. Allan it's over 100 grams, not a clencher unless you're a Bulldog, LOL but its a terrific smoker, Grenci taught Paulo Becker and his Father how to judge briar and they give him credit for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd just feel dissatisfied without a few great big bowls on hand for that extra long smoke, and

those complex blends that won't unfold in a medium sized pipe. It's like not having the right

tool for a standard job. (I feel the same way about small pipes, for the job they do.)

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I'm a fan of large pipes too. Here's some of my big-uns.
This Ben Wade Golden Walnut is just an all around huge pipe.
big4.jpg

Boswell Poker. My going fishin' pipe.
bosey1.jpg

Ascorti, Sabbia di Oro KS.
fridayfriday1.jpg

Ascorti, New Dear KS
big5.jpg

Ardor, Urano Fantasy
dr18-1.jpg

GBD, Giant
sas4-2.jpg

Burl King, Plateau Bridge (arriving soon)
burlking4_4.jpg

teilhard

Lurker
Feb 8, 2014
My largest pipe is my Ashton ELX Billiard. I love the smoke it gives and I wish I could smoke it more but I rarely have 3 hours dedicated to a bowl. I love to load it up with a medium English like GLP Westminster and smoke poolside on a Friday night with a glass(bottle) of wine. Here is a pic with my smallest (in length now bowl size) for comparison.
2vbu06x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.