PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Well Ladies and Gentlemen another member of this forum, Captainsousie, has gifted me with a stunning gift. I recently posted pics of my Kaywoodie collection and during conversation I was asked if there were any Kaywoodie pipes I wanted but had not purchased yet? My answer was a Kaywoodie Liberty bell, a Kaywoodie calabash and an early Supergrain with the logo in the shank,which was only made for a short time. Well today I returned home from working out of town for a while to find a package from Dave(Captainsousie). I opened the package to find two Kaywoodie pipes, both I did not have in my collection, but one is one of my "Holy Grails". A very early Kaywoodie Supergrain with logo inlaid in the shank. I date this pipe between 1931-1936. I was floored. I could not believe the generosity of this man. The second was a Kaywoodie Original that is awesome in its own right. I love it. I love them both. I LOVE KAYWOODIES!!! and I love this forum and its members. I believe Pipesmokers are the salt of the Earth and I believe some of the best on this Earth are right here on this forum. Thank you to Dave (captainsousie) again, I don't have the words, and thanks to everyone on this forum for allowing me to be part of it. This is truly a family and a home away from home.
Kaywoodie Supergrain with Shank inlaid Logo

Kaywoodie Original

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I have the stem soaking now, and as soon as it comes out I will start to rework the end of it. I believe I can very gently work out the chip on the end and reduce the second cut in it by quite a bit to make it look more original if I am very careful. We will see and I will post pics as I get it done.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Just a side note on how good a fella Dave is , there was actually a note in the box apologizing for taking so long to get the pipes to me. I mean the man is giving me the pipes and apologizing for taking to long to ship them. That is class for you mates!! Pure class! What this forum is made of... guaranteed!!!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Very cool of you Dave !

Interesting thing about the stem, I've come across quite a few estate pipes that have been filed liked that. I actually found a few of them to be quite comfortable to clench. You might try it out before changing it more.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Move along here, folks. Move along, please.
One class guy does something nice for another class guy.
Nothing to see here. Nothing at all.
It's just the usual suspects.
Fnord

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
@ Ryan - you were right I tried the stem and it does clench very comfortable with the second file mark in it. I cleaned up the chip and then gave it a go and it feels pretty good . I may leave it and not risk any screw up by me trying to remove it . Thank you sir .

Status
Not open for further replies.