PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
Just got some HHLF this past week having fallen in love with Vintage Syrian. The tin note was amazing and I decided to try cube cutting it rather than rubbing it out which tends to be my preferred method. Initial few minutes of smoking were delightful but then stated to develop a sweet taste which became progressively sweet and astringent or vinegary. That flavour became unbearable like drinking warm sushi vinegar so I dumped the bowl. Has anyone else had experience like this?

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I found it to be flat ... I actually gave away 10 oz of it as it was disappointing .

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This does not sound promising. Is it intended as strictly a blending tobacco? You could try mixing it. I would definitely try drying it out some, to see if the sourness goes away. Maybe mix it with some Virginia and/or burley and a little Cavendish, and see if it improves as a flavor note. Just mix a bowl or three at a time to see if any of this helps. There's always the compost pile.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I've found that taking it out of the tin and giving it a few weeks in a mason jar seems to open up the flavors with this one. Letting it dry out for 10-15 minutes before smoking it helps also. Smoking it too wet and "young" seems to result in a bland smoke with Lat Flake, in my experience.
I've not had the same experience as matches did, if anything I find it to be somewhat subtle. I usually fold and stuff so that may account for the difference in presentation.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
My experience with ODF was the same. Kinda meh first couple bowls but after it sat around for a month, it was like a flavor explosion. I have some of the Latakia Flake but its not really my cup of tea.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Can't speak of LF, but I've experienced a very dramatic change in favor profile in ODF between rubbed out or fold and stuff, more so than in any other tobacco. Perhaps try it in flake form and see if things don't harmonize. That said, my knee jerk reaction was you might be smoking wet and fast.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A friend of mine loves it. He sampled it at the Paiute Smoke Shop when Brian Levine was here for Mac Baren-Sutliff. He had it straight from the tin and didn't mention anything about the flavor becoming sweet and astringent or vinegary. I myself am not a fan of Latakia so I don't have any personal experience with the blend.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I have never cube cut it but I bought and popped my tin about 8 months ago and I JUST put it in jars this week. It was still moist after all of this time. As previously mentioned I usually give it 15 min to dry and then I rub out a little to have a base at the bottom of the bowl, fold and stuff, and then sprinkle so rubbed out as kindling for the top. All I get is fantastic BBQ flavors. I love this stuff.
I do hope it comes around for you.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
MacB Lat Flake is very tasty stuff, but is extremely wet from the tin. I either throw my flakes in the microwave before smoking or let them sit for an hour or two before packing. McClelland is infamous for the vinegary heinz 57 tin note, but not MacB from my experience. As others have said, try drying it out first. Or send it to me and i will burn it up for you, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.