PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I live in Northern Indiana and am no stranger to wildlife. I roamed the countryside growing up and always marveled at the beauty of nature. This Friday something happened I'd never seen before.
I'd just walked outside to smoke a bowl of Sixpence and found the sample of Motzek Strang that Nate sent in the mail. I immediately opened it, smelled it, and packed a small bowl. As I sat there slowly smoking, I could not find words to describe this tobacco. It was only when I forgot about it, that the flavor would give me a hint of what it was. If I payed attention, it would elude me. I consider myself to have a fairly sophisticated palette, so I figure this is like a great Scotch or Cognac to be savored and courted slowly.
I was staring off into the sky and noticed a few shapes moving in a circle. As they got closer, I could not believe my eyes. There were about ten hawks flying in a slowly churning group toward me. Checking their shapes, they were not crows, gulls, or even eagles. I grabbed my camera and continued to smoke the Strang. I've never seen ten hawks in one place. Over the years I've maybe seen four at the most at one time. I can only figure they were two or more adults with their offspring. They didn't fight or call, just kept moving over the house until they disappeared.
Strang is a very good tobacco and I've never had anything like it. The only flavor I could pick out is the taste of dried blackberry leaves. Not the fruit. The dried leaves. It had a good nicotine hit and apparently can summon hordes of animals like some kind of Druid spell. Thanks Nate, for chance to sample this fine tobacco. It was a mind blowing experience.
hpim4365-600x439.jpg

hpim4358-600x427.jpg

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Wow! Couldn't imagine a better Strang experience!! Proud to have played a small part! 10 Hawks together is super weird!

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Those aren't hawks, those look like turkey buzzards.
Someone/thing smells dead. Not the best recommendation for that tobacco.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Aren't those buzzards/turkey vultures? They're obviously waiting for you to die so they can take your Strang.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I've seen turkey buzzards up close and personal. These were WAY too small even for juveniles. The color is different as well as the beaks. This is in the city and they did not stick around. A pair has been nesting here all winter.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
peck- I used to chew them. They have astringent properties and are good at reducing swelling in gums. They also help extrude teeth that need pulled. They are one of the reasons I still have nearly all of my choppers. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Could be coincidence or it could be the tobacco. The birds may associate something about the tobacco with prey. I took my harmonica to the zoo (at the behest of my late wife who was with me) and tried playing it to various creatures. Some came closer out of curiosity, some retreated (they wanted to hear me play "Far, Far Away" maybe). Then I came to the elk enclosure which was a number of acres, and started playing to one or two elk within view. They came closer. Then more emerged from the trees in the distance. Pretty soon it was Woodstock for Elk. I kept on for an entire set, and they were fixated. No applause, but definitely approval. For elk, I'm a rock star. I'd guess the tobacco had some relationship to the birds.
My dad used to remember his childhood on a farm in Michigan where he said his harmonica playing brought in snakes. That's not good.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
That is a turkey vulture; size might be confusing since it is difficult to gauge height of flight. Turkey vultures also group up on a corpse whereas having 10 hawks together like that would be rare unless during migration.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
mso - The idea of you being Dr. Dolittle is enchanting and entirely believable from the little I know about you. :)
I like the idea they were attracted to the tobacco and approved. Unfortunately, they were already airborne when I lit the Strang, I just hadn't noticed them. They weren't flying very high and didn't circle as a group, just as individuals. The largest, almost certainly an adult, had a yellow beak and no sign of red as a turkey vulture would have. I know the turkey vultures in this area have nearly black feathers. We have good populations of peregrine falcons, blackhawks, harris hawks, red-tailed hawks, golden eagles, turkey vultures, blue heron, great owls. I would have to peg these as harris or red tail. The only one I saw the tail of in the sunlight was a smaller one which may not have had its red mark yet. Again, a pair of hawks have been here all winter and I saw one eating a bird just a few weeks ago on top of a telephone poll in my back yard. I've seen one or both nearly every day this spring. I even watched them ward off an eagle which had bright white legs and a much larger wingspan. I've never seen turkey vultures in or even near big towns.

alancairns

Might Stick Around
Oct 22, 2012
The birds in your photographs are Turkey Vultures. They're commonly seen in kettles of ten to twenty.
Alan

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Turkey vultures/buzzards.

They circle like that from the mountain peak just above our house (especially when the mother-in-law is visiting).

The wingspan relative to the body size & the contrasting lighter colored flight feathers are a dead giveaway.
4M18JUN.png

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Where I live, these birds can be seen every day. Florida has plenty of Turkey Vultures and many more species of carnivorous birds.

The Turkey Vulture seems to enjoy riding thermals as high as they can take them, and can be seen circling lazily in groups or alone.

They are often found enjoying the repasts prepared by speeding motorists who leave them rotting carcasses on or by the side of the road.

Even though they have Turkey in their name, they don't seem to be very meaty, themselves, and boy, are their heads nasty looking.

(I'm a fledgling bird watcher)

alancairns

Might Stick Around
Oct 22, 2012
Two other dead giveaways. The dihedral angle of the wings, and a tendency to wobble in flight. Hawks and eagles don't wobble.
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.