PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've never told this story before because I figured folks probably wouldn't believe it if I did.It is true though.It happened in a smoke shop in a well to do neighborhood outside Detroit in the mid eighties.At that time I thought 50 bucks was a lot to pay for a pipe.I walked in this smoke shop.The owner had on the counter three very large Meerschaum pipes probably 9 inches long and 6 inches high.They were carved to look like sailing ships.A fella there looking at them asked how much they were.A thousand dollars each was the answer.He said he wanted two of them but he couldn't decide which two.Then he said he was going to bring his wife in to help him decide.She couldn't decide either so she told him to get all three of them.They ended up paying $2,700 for the three.When I asked if he was going to smoke them he said no they're just for display.I bought some tobaco and left wondering where I could find a wife like that.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Was the guy like 25 and the lady like 50? Could be a cougar! I would love to see what those pipes looked like for that kind of money.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
If it works the same as in my house, the wife also has some expensive habits.

My pipes run neck and neck with my wife purses even though her's cost 3x of mine. :D
happy wife = happy life

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Huh? I remember when $50 didn't seem like that much money. In these days of woe and want, I can't afford any pipe at any amount now.

A thousand bucks is out landish, but more power to the fellow. One day I too will be able to afford such luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.