Status
Not open for further replies.

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Guys, please...

This pipe has a star next to the reference. So far, I've only seen stars in the Dead Root series.

So, any idea what it is?

whatsapp-image-2019-06-09-at-134908-600x450.jpg

Thanks!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I saw the same situation on another forum a few years back. No conclusive answers were arrived at but the common though was that it was a grading mark like the Dead Roots.
20190609_181225.jpg

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
If it has a nice grain, why was it blasted? If it had a nice one star grain, why would it turn into a Tanshell and not in a D.R.? It doesn't makes sense for me. Curious, is not it? Thanks, Embers!

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
I am talking to a friend, and he told me this: "because there were 'pits' in the grain... meaning it was not of 'the Root guality' for Dunhill." Interesting.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am talking to a friend, and he told me this: "because there were 'pits' in the grain... meaning it was not of 'the Root guality' for Dunhill." Interesting.
Exactly. Stamps are sometimes added after staining and before the final polish. And once in a while, that final polish reveals a flaw just below the surface. If the flaw is big enough, the stummel gets sandblasted.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If it has a nice grain, why was it blasted?
Sandblasts don't always mean defects. The best grains produce the best blasts and some, including myself prefer the blasts.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
And once in a while, that final polish reveals a flaw just below the surface.
I've witnessed that myself. Even just a soft buff with a cotton wheel can reveal a pit just a fraction of a millimeter below the surface.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Interesting on all of that -- not a Dunhill maven at all, so that was very enlightening!
Embers of course is dead-on on good blasted grains too. I've got a couple of absolutely beautiful blasted Danish ring grains that I can't see ANY flaws in. As Nording put it, let the grain determine the carve. Sometimes the grain is just too pretty *not* to blast the sucker!
Bill

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
This context of bringing to light the grain is relatively new, right? The Shell is "black" and it is not possible to see the grain. I read in somewhere that it was made with irregular grain... But, of course, I understand your point. Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Sometimes the grain is just too pretty *not* to blast the sucker!
That is true. If Bruce had gone through with the sandblast I requested on that blowfish it would have been terrible, but.....a perfect straight grain makes a stunning ring blast.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
This context of bringing to light the grain is relatively new, right?
Not sure exactly how long, but Preben Holm was doing it as early as the late '60s.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
perfect straight grain makes a stunning ring
Amen to that, my brother. My beloved old Nording icepick from the 70s is the perfect example. Being a Nording, of course it follows Erik's dictum that the briar knows best. It's almost a precise cone, with a nice straight flame grain bottom up. Add the blast & it's just definitive. My 3rd oldest one & one of the ones I'll never unload.
B

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
So, there was D.R. with Sardinian Briar?
Sounds like it. Wouldn't be the first Dunhill mystery I've heard. Some older collectors I've talked to even claim some WWII era pieces were made from strawberry wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.