PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi all
As my first post I thought I would share an introductory story which says something of the way I feel about my fellow pipesters.
Quite a few years ago, 1992 or 1993, I was at a conference in Bridlington on the Yorkshire coast in England. One afternoon was quiet so I went off to explore the town. I wound up in a shop selling second-hand books – the kind of place you could browse for hours. The proprietor was a bushy bearded Scot and, judging by some posters he had up, he was prominent in the local pipe club. His desk and the shelves behind him were cluttered with pipes and other smoking bits and pieces.
Sadly I had left my pipe in the hotel but he said, ‘Never mind: have this’, and he gifted me with a lovely little freeform. He even gave me some tobacco from his pouch although, if I’m honest, it was way too strong for me (Warhorse or some similar plug).
So we spent a happy hour talking pipes until it was time for me to go. I never made it back to Bridlington and I imagine the proprietor is no longer with us: he was pretty ancient even then. Even so I always remember him as an example of how gracious and generous pipesters can be.
I attach a picture of the pipe itself (hopefully!). My collection is not a large one, but this is the only pipe I have that I would never ever sell or pass on. Look at the grain! There is nothing on it to indicate who made it or even what country it came from. It’s very special.

Cheers

Mike

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Great first post! Welcome to the forum.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Nice story. Those old goldies are far in between. You probably made his day aswell

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Perfect start to a great day. Thanks for the story—a fine one indeed. And welcome to the forum! We have a number of great Brits on board here, but it's not clear you live in the UK now....

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Thanks all for your warm welcomes. Yes I am a Brit - from south London where the city joins the country. Oddly, no matter how often I try to edit my profile by using United Kingdom as my country, it insists on listing me as USA!
Cheers

Mike

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Yes, nice one didache.

This pipe looks very 'Charatan handmade 1970s' to me.

It is certainly a lovely looking pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Under the right circumstances, the idea of being without a tobacco pipe, or someone else in the same predicament, can be impelling. That's an excellent somewhat distinctive pipe. Looks like some Nordings and some Johs.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Welcome to the forum.

That's a lovely pipe with a great story behind it. Cheers. :puffy:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Magnificent pipe with simply splendid grain... and a truly fine history to go with it! Welcome!!

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.