PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
My Secret Santa was Burley Claus and what he sent me was absolutely awesome.
I therefore feel I need to respond to Burley Claus and the tobacco's he so kindly gave me.
The first was a tin of Cherrybomb.

The smell you get from this once the tin is opened is incredible. It is what the 'candy' companies would describe as CHERRY without actually being Cherry. The tobacco is very very dark and very very pungent and tastes exactly as it smells. While to me this is not exactly unpleasant, I liken it to adding a cherrycoke to a 25 year old Malt Whisky. Having said that I quite like it, but I would not count it as a blend I would order on a regular basis.
With the Cherrybomb tin came 3 samples.

Altardis 'Frost Mint'

Lane Limeted IQ

MacBaron 7 Seas Regular
I'll atack these in the order I set them down.

Firstly as an EX coffin nail smoker I am no stranger to Menthol Cigarrettes. However, do not confuse Frosty Mint with these 'nails'. I was a little scepitical that it would be like those menthol ciggies, but it is not at all. Frosty Mint is a cool smoke, with just a little hint of the menthol in it that makes your tongue zing (and not sting). Better than I expected it smokes quite well and I would class it as a medium.
Lane IQ

Well, now I know what all you guys are talking about. What a fantastic smell to the tobacco, fruity and mild smelling. It smokes quite mild and I found that when burnt it ALL turns into ash with little or no other residue left over. It was a fantastic smoke and quiet delicate in flavour... certainly not overpowering in anyway. I could smoke this ALL day long.
MacBraren 7 Seas Regular

This is never going to be one of my favourites. Not because I dislike it, but because I didn't really find anything about it that really stuck out for me. I apologise to those that love this, it must be a taste thing.
My second SUPRISE package arrived just after the New Year and was a tine each of Dunhill EMP and Dunhill 'Nightcap' (otherwise known as Velvet Hammer).
The EMP I have commented on in Bob's review but suffice to say.... excellent.
The Velvet Hammer... Dunhill Nightcap.

What can I say... If you are after a full on, smack me in the face with Nicotine, English Blend, that is similar to EMP but with a shed load more ooooomph, then this is the blend. Initially I was worried that it might blow my tongue off but do not be fooled. This blend is similar in mildness to the EMP although the Nicotine contebnt is a lot higher. If I was to choose my tobacco's for the day I would smoke EMP until lunch and then Nightcap til bed. Between EMP and Nightcap I think I have found an excellent combination.
Finally to Burley Claus.

Sir, you are a star. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity of trying 6 new tobacco's (and as you said in the accompnying letter) the Nightcap is STILL not available in the UK.

I have benefited greatly from this opportunity and it has opened my eyes to trying new (to me) blends that I wouldn't normally consider, and for that I thank you most sincerely.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the reviews, excav8tor. Sounds like your "Burley Claus" really came through for you. Apparently, I have to try Nightcap again. I didn't feel any of the nicotine that one is supposed to feel while smoking it. I wonder if one of the employees at my B&M put the wrong bulk blend in the Nightcap jar.
-Jason

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
That is pretty awesome - my friend has a tin of Nightcap and it was so smooth that like an idiot, I smoked it like it was nothing. I felt the nicotine hammer on full about 10 minutes after finishing the bowl. That was one crazy night.

Status
Not open for further replies.