PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I acquired some McClelland's X-40 in a trade some time ago. When I finally got around to trying it, I decided I didn't really like it. I tossed the bag on the "find a new home" pile and moved on.
Tonight, I got bored and spied it there, collecting dust. I loaded it up in a different pipe and it's like a whole new blend. Could be me, or the pipe, or a ghost influence, who knows. But, now I'm diggin' it.
Additionally, I had problem enjoying PS LTF. Okay but not super. In an attempt to color my fairly new Falcon Meer bowl, I ran several blends through it, including the LTF. Both the Falcon and the LTF were underwhelming me until I combined the two.
Now, they go together like rama lama lama ka dinga da dinga dong...
Try new things, you stuffy old bastids...
jay-roger.jpg

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Good call. I frequently mix a little Twist Flake with other PS flake as well as Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake.
I like them all individually. But a little TW really makes things special.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Jay, do you happen to remember what two types of pipes you used?
I have a deep bowled poker and Dublin I use for Va flakes, and always seem to get good flavors out of them. But I also have smaller bulldog type pipe that does them we'll.
When I smoke complex blends, I use my large John Peele or Mountbatten apple/billiards and the flavors explode. Haven't been able to smoke to dust in those, but worth the sacrificial dottle.
Also helps that I've been at this for about a year and half, much better technique now.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
You've encouraged me to smoke some C&D Exhausted Rooster than I have neglected for about 8 months.
Here it goes. Cock-a-doole-do

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a charter stuffy old bastard, I will attest that setting "loser" blends aside often sets up a surprise delight when you go back and try it again. It may be some needed drying, a little more aging, or most likely, just that you're having a better day. This happened recently when I finally popped my tin of GPL Haddo's Delight. The fresh opened tin had a fine bouquet, but I'll be darned if I could get much taste out of it. A little more drying time, and it tasted pretty good. With a third and fourth bowl, it just gets better. This happened with Three Star Blue, Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz. Now I just assume that the first impression is no impression, and I just wait for the enlightenment. Oh, and it happened big time with C&D Bayou Night; a harsher edgier blend I hadn't tasted, until I re-ordered years later. Oh boy. I must have known there was a treat in there somewhere.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
This is why my wife thinks (knows?) I am a hoarder. I have a full size dresser full of tobacco, about half a shelf of which are jars that have been set aside into the "try it in a little while and if it still blows give it away" pile.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I rarely discard tobacco. I have given samples and donated some to good causes. Invariably, if I keep a blend, it turns out smoking well.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Back in February I bought a tub of Hearth & Home's Chatham Manor since it got such rave reviews. I didn't care for it and have only smoked 5 bowls so far in various pipes. I'm also one who doesn't give up on a blend after only a few bowls. It sits on my bookshelf in the den along side a tub of Angler's Dream. Both will get tried again in a year or so.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Jay, do you happen to remember what two types of pipes you used?
I think the first one was a BriarWorks Poker and I'm certain the second one was the Falcon Meer.
I suspect the material difference is more suspect than shape.
poker-600x337.jpg

falcon1-600x450.jpg

My best VA flake pipe is also a Dublin, with a conical chamber. I think that shape helps produce a better smoke from them.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.