PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I have had quite the eye opening experience. Actually the opening was done to the draft hole in an old Dr. Grabow Freehand i hardly ever smoked. I have been reading Rick Newcombe's "In Search of Pipe Dreams" and I was really interested in his views about how wide a draft hole should be. So I decided to go for broke, and drilled out the draft hole to a 3mm. It smokes better now than one of my Savinelli's. It stays lit for a much longer duration between puffs. To think the hidden potential of a drug store pipe is astonishing. It actually does smoke itself, nowhere near as well as his legendary story of a Jess Chonowitz staying lit for five minutes on his table as he left for the restroom, but still a dramatic change. I in no means intend for anyone as poorly skilled with power tools as myself to do this to an expensive pipe. I would have a pro do that to any of my nicer pipes. Some of you may have already tried this, but for those who have not I say have it done (professianally) to a mediocre pipe. You may find an otherwise poor smoker to be in your rotation alot more.
Josh

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
nowhere near as well as his legendary story of a Jess Chonowitz staying lit for five minutes on his table as he left for the restroom
I've got a $2 Ehrlich that will do that. In fact many of my pipes will keep going in my coat pocket while I go into a store for a few minutes. It's only partly the pipe. It's also the tobacco and how it's been packed. I just have to remember to prop the pipe up properly so that I don't set my coat on fire. It would be impolite to self immolate in the produce section.
But I do agree that an open draw makes for a much better experience.
Congrats on your successful fix.

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
I recently bought a Sav Hercules Bulldog. When I got it it would not draw. It looked like the bowl coating covered the draft hole. Had to push the coating away from the draft hole for it to draw. I used a coat hanger lol! But it seem to do the trick. Whistles a little every so often. Only had a few bowls. Interesting in seeing how this all plays out in the long run. Its def a huge bowl.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I just have to remember to prop the pipe up properly so that I don't set my coat on fire
LMAO!!! My dad was a tailor and there was one gentleman that came in twice a year to have new pockets put on his sport coats because he'd put his lit pipe in a pocket and it would dump!

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
Hmm. Just curious about something. I have a Dr. Grabow that has actually not been so awful. But, I've noticed that it stays lit much easier when smoked without a filter. Is the rationale for expanding the draft hole that it makes it easier for the tobacco to breathe? If so, would a filter also obstruct that?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I have 3 Edwards pipes that I bought in 1970 that have never given me a really satisfactory and satisfying smoke. The draw is way too narrow all the way around. I kept them around because they were such nominal treasures, but they're slated to go to Nightowl in February for his blueprinting, and we'll see if opening them up properly makes a difference.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Josh,something weird about your DG freehand. Just about every Grabow I've owned(hundreds) had a draft hole/airway of 5/32"--4MM. When I get an estate-any brand- the first step in cleaning it,for me, is running a 5 /32" drill bit through it. Very seldom does that drill bit take out any wood,usually just crud.

Could have been faulty drilling from the factory, but I've never seen one(Grabow) that was under 3MM.
Hmm. Just curious about something. I have a Dr. Grabow that has actually not been so awful. But, I've noticed that it stays lit much easier when smoked without a filter. Is the rationale for expanding the draft hole that it makes it easier for the tobacco to breathe? If so, would a filter also obstruct that?
Blindman, I smoke mostly filtered DG's. I find that without a filter that most have a wide open,unrestricted draw. The filter will add some restriction,but IMO,not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.