A Real Bud

(42 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by colcolt
  • Latest reply from plateauguy
  1. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guys, for me this about as good as it gets. Pecking away on the computer this is where my buddy usually stays-right on the floor by my feet. I never could get any of my former wives to be like this. Another reason for love of the dog. A real buddy.:)

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They sure come to own ya...

"the weez"...
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dogs are the best.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. smeigs

smeigs

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

my dogs do the same thing... Best friends in the world.

“A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake–you are undoubtedly a man.”
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know what you mean. My dog is my best friend, always by my side. Must love tobacco because he licks my face all the time. He's an Aussie. We're getting ready to go together on a 4 day backpacking fly fishing and hunting trip in 10 days. Can't wait.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice friend Col, PMon likes me regardless , likes me even more when I give him Beer and Chetos LOL

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Col, what a pal you have. Dogs are the best friends. They never let you down, and are always soooo glad to see you.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bubba is partial to Doritos. I know it's probably not all that good for him but I don't give him many. He'll jump on the couch with me and put one paw on one side of my leg and the other one on the other side and wait for his treat as we watch the Hatfield's and McCoys. He's into westerns and shows like that for whatever the reason. He especially likes the Clint Eastwood westerns. My kind of buddy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to see you and your buddy back around colcolt. Hadn't seen you posting in awhile.

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get lazy now and then. I've been spending a lot of time on shooting forums...especially black powder related. Going back to my roots, I suppose. You do that when you get old.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. terrygoldman123

terrygoldman123

Login to Send PM

Dogs are indeed man's best friend. Want to read a terrific novel that features dogs and their training and their relationship to their master's,
    Try Robert Crais' SUSPECTS. You won't be disappointed.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He especially likes the Clint Eastwood westerns.

A special dog indeed. Dogs have a bond with and devotion to humans that is amazing...even a little mysterious.

I remember hearing or reading somewhere a long time ago, supposedly from a Native American creation myth, that went something like this: God was creating a gulf to separate the human from the animals, and at the last minute the dog jumped across to be with the human.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to keep cats because I can't stand to leave a dog to sitters. Now the cats have wound their way into
    my heart. My late wife used to say that cats are like people, and dogs are what we wish we could be, in terms
    of nobility and loyalty. I grew up with a water dog (Springer/Cocker Spaniel). He'd swim in the Des Plaines
    River in the winter through the ice. When he was wet, you could see he didn't have any fat for insulation.
    But if you didn't throw the stick out onto the ice again, the old boy would shake the icy water all over you.
    He was a force of nature, a bolt of lightning.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes them there Dogs are the best

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember hearing or reading somewhere a long time ago, supposedly from a Native American creation myth, that went something like this: God was creating a gulf to separate the human from the animals, and at the last minute the dog jumped across to be with the human.

I like that. There's a lot of insight into that thought.

Try Robert Crais' SUSPECTS. You won't be disappointed.

It sounds like it would be good. One I like is "Cold Noses at the Pearly Gates". I choose to believe our Creator has not left His creation out of an after life. Many believe otherwise but I choose to believe we will see our loves ones again-human and animal. What a wretched life this would be if it were to the contrary. But, and if it's not so then I think our memory will not be awaken to the fact of our earthly loved ones because it says there will be no more death nor sorrow nor pain. If you had the memory there would assuredly be much sorrow over lost loves ones.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's awesome Colcolt. Man's best friend indeed!

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is one of my favorites of him. Just look at those Valentino eyes...who can resist?

Sacked out...

I love this expression. I think he just broke wind and didnt know that I heard him. Or, was that vice versa.

Hope ya'll don't mint the pics. I have no kids/grad kids so, this is my world.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No not at all. You know we love pics! He is a handsome boy for sure!

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with you, colcolt - I also would be surprised if our favorite beasties weren't waiting for us on the other side of the pearly gates.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Col you have a magnificent friend and we enjoy your pictures keep em comeing.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is probably one of my top five best of him. I have a 16x20 of this one. Taken with a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lens at f/4

This one was shortly after I first brought him home six years ago. He was leaner then than now. He's put on about 15 pounds since then!

What self respecting Southern boy would be caught dead without his camo cap?

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is the one in my avatar. I took this one around five years ago when he was still lean. He's gained since then and I've lost 45 pounds. I set the camera up on a tripod, tilted the flash upward toward the ceiling for bounce light and set the timer.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a nice pair of Buds.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess you could say he's the Bud Lite. :-)He's a real joy for sure.

Who says you can't have a birthday party for your canine friends?

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Colcot, what kind of Corgi is Bubba??

I was always a cat person growing up but the wife has always been into dogs. They are without a doubt mans best friend.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He's a Pembroke Welsh Corgi...the kind without the tail. There's a slightly larger variety, thought technically not related though similar in looks, called the Cardigan Welsh Corgi that has the tail. They're a tad larger with bigger feet but still the short legs.

There's another variety of Pembroke called a "Fluffy" due to the extra hair around the ears and neck area.

This is the cute Corgi butt.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. boudreaux

boudreaux

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonderful pictures of that little squatty body best buddy.

--boudreaux
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've probably taken more pictures of him than anything else over the past six years. He'll be nine in a couple weeks. As you can see, he doesn't go too far from ol' Dad.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This was our last visit to KY at his breeders. That's him with his muzzle on Sonny, his best buddy. Sonny had to be put down two weeks ago due to multiple cancers. I wish we could have seen him one last time. I haven't seen that look on Bubba's face before or since. It was like he knew that would be the last time he'd see him.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. bphilli75

Billp

Login to Send PM

"Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dogs are lot smarter/intuitive than we give them credit for.

That is a sad story about Sonny.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. bigriggers01

bigriggers01

Login to Send PM

Nothing beats a dog for genuine, reliable companionship, my little one loves running around trying to catch any pipe smoke that comes his way.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since this is my boy's 9th Birthday, naturally I had to post a few pics. He got a NY strip steak along with his kibble and green beans tonight. Me, I had a TV dinner.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43545724@N03/9524670565/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43545724@N03/9524703849/

Of course, a birthday pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43545724@N03/9524679643/in/photostream/lightbox/

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. joeahearn

joeahearn

Login to Send PM

I love those pictures of Bubba, colcolt. I have only known one Corgi, so it was a delight to see the pictures.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They're a real sweetheart. I fell in love with the breed back in 2002. My ex-wife bought a Corgi mix and she was the delight of my life for two years. She died and we never found out exactly what happened. I got Bubba back in July 2007 and he's been a wonderful companion. I took this one yesterday in the back yard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43545724@N03/9524676817/in/photostream/lightbox/

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

beautiful dogs Sir, never seen the long haired breed before. Like kids but you don't have to send them to college.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Fluffies are beautiful but I'm glad I don't have to groom one. Nope, no college, no phone calls at 3 o'clock in the morning wanting you to come get them out of jail, they don't steal from you or tear up the house on drugs looking for money. Lots to be said for them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

Love the briar

Login to Send PM

Mans best friend. I love my mini schnauzer and my Maltese.

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. boudreaux

boudreaux

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Colcolt, absolutely wonderful pictures of your furry buddies. It's really amazing how expressive the dogs are when you see their faces. You are certainly blessed. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us.

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. pipebow88

pipebow88

Login to Send PM

I see one big problem with this post. The word "dog" keeps coming up. Corgi's are just another family member. They don't know they're dogs. Anyone with with a Corgi knows where I'm coming from with that statement.
    B

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

boudreaux-Thanks for those kind words...blessed indeed.

pipebow88-There not dogs. I would do no less for Bubba than I would do for a child. He depends on me just as much as a five year old. He gets meals many times better than what I have, I brush his teeth, trim his nails, give him a bath, clean his ears and groom him twice a week. He has a checkup, head to tail, twice a year and if anything goes wrong he gets taken to the vet. You love something or someone you take care of them. He only acts like a 'dog" when he cocks his leg to pee or scratches the ground and rolls over and over in the grass but, he's probably seen me do that and mimics it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love dogs - they are truly a treasure of life. Cats are great too, but there isn't the devotion that a dog has.
    Beautiful pictures.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pipebaum81, cigrmaster, jpmcwjr, davet, lightxmyfire, ashdigger, alaskanpiper, jfred, mso489, tbradsim1, cossackjack, workman