PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Have you ever wondered how pipe tobacco can dry out when you live someplace where the humidity level is between 70 and 95 percent on a daily basis?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've reckoned that even in Bama, etc. those are peak humidity rates, but the main factor is a/c in those areas. The ambient RH may be quite low inside. Anyone have a measurement?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It’s really humid here in the summer, if I just leave the tobacco out it will keep its moisture level, I’ve found that turning on my floor fan and directing it to my tobacco bowl dries it out in a good 15-30 min. Others use a heat lamp, some use the microwave.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've reckoned that even in Bama, etc. those are peak humidity rates, but the main factor is a/c in those areas. The ambient RH may be quite low inside. Anyone have a measurement?
Actually those are daytime humidity readings for outdoors. I have a device that gives me temperature, humidity and barometic pressure. In my part of SE Louisiana, the humidity rarely drops below 60 percent according to the gauge. My indoor humidity reading pretty much stays at 50%.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Not always. This morning when I got up, it was 81f and the humidity was 87%. It's now 86f and the humidity has dropped to 74%.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I thought the relative humidity was the measure how much water holding potential of the atmosphere. 78% humidity means the air is holding 78% of the max water it can hold. Hit 100% and you have dense fog, rain, or dew.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
That's right - relative humidity is dependent on temperature, pressure, etc, it's not "absolute" humidity, which is more or less what we are talking about with pipe tobacco - looking at pipe tobacco, it is probably something like 50% water weight? I dunno, but dead dry tobacco weighs nothing (like it's made of leaves or something). So it's going to give off "humidity", the water is going to "boil out" as it were, unless the relative humidity of the air is like... 99% (which is to say, the air literally can't accept more water in it).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In central N.C., it is intermittently high humidity, which may be the reason I find leaving tobacco packed in pipes or in a ceramic bowl to dry usually a good plan. Even when forgotten in a fold-up, it is usually just fine to smoke, seemingly into perpetuity.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I've been wondering this week about how the Southern Gentlemen-Smokers survive. We're AC-free up here on Lake Michigan (don't usually need it). The heat wave this week sent our indoor RH up into the high-80s/low-90s according to my hygrometers (compared to 10-15% in winter). I was still able to dry tobacco, but it took 12-24 hours to get approximately the same results I usually get in 15 minutes. Interestingly, however, the taste and smoking properties are completely different. The experience has made me wonder if evaporation of water is all that's going on when we "dry" tobacco. Exposure to air has an effect regardless of how much or how little actual water weight evaporates off. Maybe we should say "oxygenate your tobacco to a crisp before smoking".

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
@Sasquatch, not saying you are wrong but what do you mean by absolute humidity?

I have done a bit of controlled forest burning and "fine fuel" such as lichens

and other small surface debris(very much like fine cut tobacco) follows the

relative humidity of the air with a time lag of about 20 minutes.
Also, why do they keep cigars at 68% or something?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So strange, I was thinking about this the other day. I was going to mow the lawn and thought a pipe would be a good accompaniment. Well granted my technique is far from perfect, but the 90% humidity killed that bowl. I could not keep it lit.
The fall is the best time of year for enjoying a pipe in my opinion.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Just smoke Gawith flakes. They arrive at 145% humidity, so opening them amidst a downpour still results in significant drying... 8)
I keep this $14 gauge on the front of my gun safe, which is also in the smoking/tobacco storage room. It shows current temp and humidity, as well as the highs and lows over the last 24 hours.
humidity-450x600.jpg

Around here, the clouds/moisture usually build up in the wee hours, so the morning often begins with some clouds and high humidity and it begins to burn off as the mercury climbs to whatever obscene level it wishes for the day.
With my home thermostat set at 77, located in the hallway, roughly center of the house, this spot in the far corner rarely leaves the range shown in the picture. On rainy days, with the window opened and the exhaust fan running, I may see 60% humidity.
Most ribbons suffice with 15-30 minutes of drying. I can get by with an hour on many flakes, although I often now put out Coniston or similar before bed to enjoy the next day.
I rarely do aromatics and almost never any humectant laden blends, so I can't weigh in on those.
When I put out flakes or coins, I often bend them in the middle a bit so they sit with most of the surface area suspended from the plate surface, allowing air to reach both sides of the flake. With ribbons, I'll mix or flip the pile once or twice for the same reason.
If it gets really bad, I've recently discovered that the exhaust port on my laptop blows a gentle, steady stream of warm, dry air out from the left side and I can sit some tobacco there for a "boost" to the drying.
Many ways to skin this cat, apparently. Or, move to Phoenix and try to grow St. Augustine lawns in the desert...
jay-roger.jpg

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
That question kept me up last night :lol:. Seriously though, I live in SC and it's humid all year long and I haven't noticed any problems. If I'm outside with a pouch of my usual burley, I have found it can get a tad moist, but nothing I can't handle. I definitely haven't noticed that it becomes dry.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just smoke Gawith flakes. They arrive at 145% humidity, so opening them amidst a downpour still results in significant drying... 8)
Er, yeah, that'd be wetter than wet! Unless it's 14.5% moisture content, which seems about right.
You have about perfect humidity for drying- May take some real time, but it's unlikely to get too dry.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I can't dry a damn thing in the kind of humidity we've got here in VT this time of year (I am grateful it's only seasonal). I've been playing around a lot with packing technique and bowl size in order to combat the typical hassles. Seems like a fairly narrow bowl, packed loosely, and only filled about halfway is working pretty well for me. Pack it too tight or smoke too long (i.e., breathe too much), and I end up with a vicious unlightable wad that eventually has to be tossed, to my great consternation.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Microwave. Skillet on top of pilot light on stove. (If you have that kind of stove.)In a pan on top of water heater. There are ways.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Here in Memphis, early Sunday morning @ 12:30AM, 78 degrees with 92% humidity. I mostly smoke aromatics, always a loose gravity fill with extra light tamping. I usually load straight from the jar since no real drying will happen. One thing I cannot do is smoke half a bowl and come back to it later. It will be a hot stinking mess. Can only get away with that in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.