PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
5qvVjOk.jpg
I'm not really a specific brand collector and much of my knowledge is surficial without much depth and I constantly have to check references, plus I have a faulty memory...
...as to Comoy info,

I relied heavily on Neill's blog, otherwise lots of information is scattered --- Pipedia does have a most excellent entry though, but I'm easily confused and et cetera & etc.
I got this sandblasted Tradition a few months back and it's in top shelf condition --- I've tried looking for other examples but came up short --- I'm wondering if it's uncommon to find a blasted Tradition?
And what's the deal with the skinny C and the fat C?
I seem to recall reading something somewhere but can't summon the memory as to what either/or means?
I can't even make up my mind if the CoM stamp is a rugbyball or not?
My rough guess for a time frame is late 40's - mid 50's.
Would much appreciate anyone well-versed in Comoy to weigh in with an opinion and any info about the particular Tradition line.
Many thanks!

:)
(pardon the poor shadowy pictures)
ufVMn7C.jpg

Y2sHge0.jpg

WSeVqup.jpg

bfoVY8D.jpg

Bn7gGgu.jpg

Go3cEns.jpg

m2qOICp.jpg

EnnHVfm.jpg
Side note,

a few cool old Comoy's
pre-war Tradition:

http://shuzed.blog104.fc2.com/blog-entry-64.html
:
Old Bruyere:

http://west55555.blog21.fc2.com/blog-entry-53.html
:
awesome blasted Extraordinaire:

http://yamagasa005.blog135.fc2.com/blog-entry-7.html
:
...and,

I just love these photos:

b0288334_11301162.jpg

b0288334_11301177.jpg
Found here:

http://freet1977.exblog.jp/22224554/
:puffy:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have a smooth Tradition. I've never seen a sand blasted one, but that doesn't mean very much as I concentrate on Italian pipes. I can tell you though that you want to look for the 3-part "C" on a Comoy's. You have to look closely, but a 3-part "C" is made by three "dots" inserted into the pipe. the first is a white dot. The second is a smaller black dot inserted into the white dot creating a black dot inside of a white circle. The 3rd dot is black and breaks up the white dot creating a "C". Yours has this 3-part "C". The new Comoy's don't have this. Also, there is something to do with the "Comoy's" stamp where either the "Y" or the "S" continues on to underline the word "Comoy's". I can't remember right now what the dating significance of that is right now. Either way, you have a nice pipe there. My Tradition is a large pot that I reserve for my occasional Virginia. It smokes the heck out of a flake!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a curious piece, I have also not seen a blasted "Tradition" piece.
The stamping is also a bit odd. The straight line Comoy's (with apostrophe) was used in the 1950's. But your round(I would call that a rugby shape) COM is typically seen on older pipes.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I would say that is the "rugby ball" COM, and that the pipe dates to the 1930's. As far as a sandblasted Tradition, I could see it making sense for the period, before the SANDBLAST was introduced as a separate finish marking. Beyond that, absolute consistency in English pipe markings... :roll:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Your pipe is pre-1976, mrlowercase. The three part C logo was replaced with a stamped logo in 1976. I'm also in the camp of having never seen a sandblasted Tradition stamped Comoy's, so I suspect that one is really quite old. Congrats on having a great piece!

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I guess I'm the outlier here because I have seen a blasted Tradition before. I agree that the pipe dates no later than the 1940's, and most likely to the 30's. It is also the 'rugby' COM, I have good examples of both rugby and circle that I will try to post pictures of later this evening.
This is also an example of the 'skinny' C.
This is a relatively rare and interesting Comoy. Good catch!
Doc

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
+1 Doctorbob.
I've also seen sandblasted traditions. They do creep through the Bay now and again.
@jpmcwjr While I guess it's possible that this pipe has been refurbed, I would posit that it could just as easily have been in a desk drawer for over half a century. Oxidation on the stem appears to be consistent from button to mortise and the bit doesn't look like it has seen much action. It looks, to my eye, like an undersmoked estate.
Regardless, that's a damn nice find Troy.
-- Pat

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Well done sir! Lovely pipe. As a fan of comoys myself, they are hitherto the best pipes I've smoked. I too have a question regarding yours, how much do you want for it? :D

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I guess I'm the outlier here because I have seen a blasted Tradition before. I agree that the pipe dates no later than the 1940's, and most likely to the 30's. It is also the 'rugby' COM, I have good examples of both rugby and circle that I will try to post pictures of later this evening.
This is also an example of the 'skinny' C.
This is a relatively rare and interesting Comoy. Good catch!

I would agree with Doc- Not an expert by any means, but the skinny "c" and COM markings indicate 1930-1940.... Sweet pipe!!........ :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.