PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ive just purchased my first old Kaywoodie Yello Bole. Here's the KBB Logo on it.

KBBLogo.jpg

From "Collector Guide to Kaywoodie":
Some of the pre-1936 Kaywoodies were stamped (on the shank) with a cloverleaf around KBB.
Yello Bole was a low end version of Kaywoodie right? Would this dating be a correct assumption?
The pipe looks like its gotten pretty hot and the stem logo has been damaged. There appears to be a red dot as well. Here's the ebay link for more pictures.
Probably not a good smoker, and I may be experiencing that PAD Ive heard of, Hahaha.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yss, it's pre-1936, More likely around 1932. I'm a little rusty on the exact year, whether it was 1932 0r 1933 when Kaywoodie moved into its new factory, but at that time the KBB logo stamp was dropped from Kaywoodie and Yello-Bole.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Sounds interesting sablebrush52, since my Father was born in 1933.

QUOTE:

(According to a 1948 Yello-Bolecatalog, "Yello-Boles have been on the market since 1933. About 25 millions of these

pipes have been sold")
and
The pre-Kaywoodie KB&B pipes were marked on the shank with a cloverleaf around

KB&B. Some early Kaywoodies had this same marking on the shank, but the practice

was dropped sometime prior to 1936. Yello-Boles also had KBB in the leaf on the

shanks, but did not have the ampersand found on Kaywoodies.
From the same Collector Guide to Kaywoodie Pipes

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's unfortunate that the Kaywoodie Compendium, hosted on the Grey Fox site, was taken down in 2012. Besides a complete listing of all models and an explanation of the numbering, it featured images of most of the Kaywoodie line and the years of manufacture for each model, in addition it had Moore's essay on the history of Kaywoodie, which is the best of the lot. For Kaywoodie collectors, it's the equivalent of the destruction of the library at Alexandria. Nothing currently on the web has the same level of information.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Sure ssjones,

When it arrives Ill take some better ones. For now the top post has an ebay link of the whole pipe. It a sad looking stem for sure. And its so dark, did it get really hot and turn that black from heat maybe? Ive seen burn "spots" on pipes from getting too hot, if one actually blacked the whole bowl from such heat, what does it do to the pipe overall? Taste affected any?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just checked the ebay pix, missed that link earlier. Most of that black tar build-up on the bowl top will come off. You'll want to do a full restore, which includes cake removal and the salt/alcohol soak. That is your best bet to ensure it has no ghosts. The stem really doesnt look bad at all. Overall, a pretty srraight forward restoration job.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Great find!
The first thing I do when I get an estate is spray the whole thing down with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water. Take an old tooth brush and lightly scrub it, rinse and let it sit overnight. You'll be able to see what you're dealing with if the initial grime is off.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Lots of info here one Kaywoodies and KBB-- http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org/index.php?sid=d8a3ebbd5a002a7d2d168b570cfb864b

Status
Not open for further replies.