PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Went to pick up my watch of 30 yrs a Rolex Explorer, it had stopped and the last service was 12 yrs ago. The only Rolex repair is at a high end jewelry store in Lafayette La. Chatted with the man behind the counter and was told 480$ to break it down and service. Plus parts. I shrugged and said ok, Guy asked if I was a Vet, said Navy but that was a long time ago. When I picked it up the bill was for 280$, I asked why the lower price and from the back came the owner and said if I didn't have to pay the repairman it would be nothing. I didn't know what to say, then I told him this is only the second time I've heard that, took my old Uncle and his wife to Branson , never haveing been out of Loiisiana and they asked if I was a vet and got highly discounted Show Tickets. I shook his hand with a lump in my throat. WOW!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Bradley,
Always good to hear of someone doing the right thing- there's not enough of that in the world today!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
There are quite a few places that will give Vets a break. In my mind its the least anyone can do for a serviceman. My Dad owned a drycleaners and would never charge to clean uniforms. He always said it was his way of giving back.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Glad they hooked you up! Membership has it's priveledges.
I am often surprised at the level people will go to in order to honor us Veterans. It is very much appreciated on my end, I can tell you.
Good story! Thank you.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
When I was getting ready to come home from Clark Air Base in 1973, they suggested we wear our civilian clothes when we landed in Calif. Times were very different then. Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley and David Brinkley would be telling everyone what the U.S. was doing wrong. Every night. Flower children would hang out at the airport and make you feel like you were not wanted back in the country. And telling a prospective employer you just got out of the service was like telling them you just got out of prison. It wasn't something they thought very highly of.

But I am so glad to see that things have turned around to the extent that they have. You should be proud to have served. It's good to see people venerating veterans today. God bless them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ran an errand at one of my local grocery chains today and as I turned into the parking lot lane nearest the front

door, I saw a parking spot marked with a sign that said, Special Parking for Veterans. Huh? I sort

of squinted and read it again. It's the day after Veterans Day, but the sign looks permanent. I figured I was dreaming

and in a minute I'd wake up and find a real spot, but in I drove. Went and bought my big jar of peanut butter, and came

back, and the car and sign were still there. I've probably been smoking too much burley lately.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That is a great story Bradley. Some neighbors were posting "Veteran discounts" in our area, from restaurants to hair cuts to car detailing. I told them while I appreciated the input, I don't shop at places just looking for a discount; not to mention that I don't walk around with my DD214.
With that being said, I love when I meet someone and because I am a vet they go out of their way to do me a solid. Glad that store owner took great care of you.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Very well deserved. Thank you sir.

My girlfriends mother got a free sundae at the ice cream parlor yesterday.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That's the way it should be done. Here's the way it shouldn't.
When I was at a museum last summer in Sante Fe, NM I stopped at the entrance to buy a ticket. The young lady asked if I was a vet because they give discounts to vets. I said I was. She then asked me for my discharge papers to prove it. I said I didn't have my DD Form 214 on me. She said she would accept a tattoo. (?!) I said I don't have any tattoos but I'm happy to support the museum by paying full price. She then said they liked to support vets by offering discounts. I didn't press the issue, but I felt like my word was worth nothing and felt less than "supported".
So like yazamitaz mentioned, do any of you vets carry your discharge papers in your wallet... just in case? I was thinking of photographing mine and putting it on my phone or my wife's iPad.
BTW, maxpeters, things were not much better in 1977. I was advised not to travel in uniform either.

Status
Not open for further replies.