A Plea In Denouncement of Acronyms (APIDOA)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's an inevitable and insidious disease that eventually permeates and afflicts every internet group: Acronym Affected Disorder (AAD). I call it an "affect" because I think that it is not simply a lazy shortcut, but a kind of dialect or secret handshake amongst fellow-travelers. As Our Fearless Leader says: But Let Me Be Clear. For a lot of us (especially novices like myself) acronyms are a PITA. I mean, WTF? Is it that difficult to let something have it's full, unabbreviated name? AFAIK, it is an affliction that many of us engage in, but are often vexed by. Much the same as how we curse pedestrians when we are driving, and curse drivers when we are walking.
So, I call for a moratorium in acronym usage, with the possible exception of PAD and TAD (which, BTW & LOL, can be found in other variations on most other hobby and collecting OCD affliction-oriented forums).
Now, if you pardon me, I have a bowl of PSBS waiting for me.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I'm not generally in favour of 'me too' postings either, but +1000 on this!! LAUGH OUT LOUD

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I'd have to say SWMBO is my least favorite. My brain always tries to say Single White Male...awww crap.
I think blend acronyms are handy and not over the top.
My job in finance uses acronyms for everything. Definitely gets a little tiring...

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I think it is a way to act like the in crowd. I said something similar in another forum and got corrected and directed to the list of them. I'm not printing out more garbage that I then can't find. If they were at least scatological, we could snicker like grade schoolers at them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I totally concur with the original post. I really dislike the use of acronyms as I don't know what people are trying to say and I am not wasting my time to look them up. We are not a group of teens talking on our cell phones, we are a group of supposedly educated pipe smokers who should be able to use the English language properly. Using acronyms other than the PAD and TAD and an lol, is being lazy, presumptuous and disrespectful in my mind, why do people assume that we should know what these acronyms mean.
Sorry but when I see a post filled with them, I skip the post and go on to something else. How hard is it to write out what you want to say. This particular one, AFAIK gets used a ton on this site and I have no idea what it means. When I see it I just ignore the rest of the post.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I've been a PMF (Sorry!) member for a few weeks now and have figured out a few. IMHO took a while because I don't have an opinion of that discripshun!! Laugh Out Loud.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm with you cigrmaster. Further, we should not be cowed by people who insist on using acronyms. We need to man up and tell them to take the time to spell it out correctly or GTFO of here.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
And while we are at it, what about deliberately cryptic posts? In my opinion we could do with considerably fewer.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Oh, I think I have just been guilty of hijacking! But, to boot, posting a comment without having read the other posts in that thread?

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Woodsroad,When I sit down with my pipe and beverage to cruise the forum I do this as part of a relaxing routine. I too enjoy reading more than I enjoy deciphering. Your request is not unreasonable and I think it serves to benefit any newcomers seeking education in the hobby. You have my promise of compliance from this point forth.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
The one that always gets me is YMMV, WTF does that mean?
One we've always used on the job site, when were about to get screwed, is BOHICA. It means, Bend Over Here It Comes Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.