PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I was loading up an old pipe with dark plug and I stumbled onto an old receipt for a pipe and some tobacco. The tobacco is long gone now and some is no longer in production. The pipe was the one I was about to smoke.
I'm curious - just for fun, is there any blend you would trade your favorite pipe to get?

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I wouldn’t trade a pipe to get a blend, but certainly would trade some blends to get a special pipe. But like anything involving trades it all depends on the circumstances.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nah, too many blends still available, and most of my favorites long discontinued are heavily cellared.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Nah. My cellar is complete. I am in a position to pass on many of the rare tobaccos now.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I recently found a Christmas 2015 Peterson for sale, which is what I had been after for quite some time. I would have traded anything in my modest cellar for it.
Would I trade a blend for a pipe? No. The pipe has much more longevity than a blend for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My taste in tobaccos is consistent in a few cases but can be surprisingly (to me) fickle. Whereas, pipes I treasure remain in that status. So would I trade a major pipe, let alone one of the top five, for some rare and coveted tobacco? Not on your life. That's even accounting for the fact that I can take a very long time finishing off a supply of tobacco I like a lot, since I have a rotation, sampling, etc. etc. Still, no dice on the unicorn blend.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
My *FAVORITE* pipe?
Never.
Ever.
But like John, there are some long-gone blends from WWBITD I'd lay serious money down to get again. Mostly ones that have been washed through Lane & other companies a few times till the original is now only a memory's memory. No Dunhills, though; not that I disliked the blends, just their over-arching pride in their product as reflected at the cash register.

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
I'm not like a tobacco ebay salesman, just to be clear. Not trying to swindle anybody out of their pipe. :)
I'd be a no as well, and I'm glad to see the responses from everyone. Sometimes the pipesmoking community can seem so nostalgic for old blends, many of which I never took advantage to try back when. Nice to have some perspective on the limits to the pining.
Well yea, for a truckload of 40th Anniversary Blend. Then you have a deal.
I will also sign up for folanator's deal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One way to read this response is that pipes are acquired for permanence and tobacco for consumption.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I did trade a pipe for three tins of Mephisto once, and still feel like I got the better end of the deal. It was a special circumstance case though.

Status
Not open for further replies.