Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
pipe0023.jpg

I made this pipe in the early 1990's when I first got serious about pipe smoking. Being a woodworking hobbiest I thought I can make a pipe so I found a supplier and bought a few pieces of briar and a long drill bit for the draft hole. I can't remember the name of the outfit I purchased my materials from but it was a small operation just a single older gent and his wife. He was very gracious and full of encouragement and enthusiasm. Traits I've found common among pipe people.

pipe0041.jpg

pipe0031.jpg

pipe0051.jpg

I used a drillpress, a dremel tool and lots and lots of sanding. I did not stain the bowl. I like to see wood it's natural color unless it's plain like pine. I sealed the briar with carnuba wax buffed using a soft wheel on the Dremel. To drill the chamber and put the chamfer on the inner lip of the rim I ground my own tools from regular old spade bits I got at the local hardware. The chunky nose-warmer does smoke great but it will gurgle if I get puffing too fast so it's good for a slow hit and run technique.

IMG_1737.jpg

When I was first reading this forum I thought it was funny how everyone was always clamoring for photos. But I have to agree it is great to see pictures of people's pipes and tobacco collections. I hope you all enjoy.

wizbang

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2011
WOW! That is really good! Start carving and selling! I would buy it. Very nice job.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Great story and nice looking nose warmer! Could it have been Pimo you bought your briar from?

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
The briar shows very nice bird eyes and it's well carved.The gurgle problem is surely due to the short shank and the tenon mortize that probably leave a very small portion of briar between chamber and the tenon.Usually is known that 5 millimeters are good enough to don't get the chamber burned first or last but for condenses is another story.Much more briar we have from chamber and tenon and much better is .Briar absorbe condense.Anyway the work is done perfectly and the bowl is like to have been turned by a lathe

Maurizio

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys for the kind words -Much appreciated! Maurizio, I agree the short shank maximizes the buildup of condensation. At the time I didn't know any better and was going for the big size like a billiard ball so I did not leave much wood for the shank.
Ejames - PIMO that is the name I remember now. Very nice to deal with.
I've not made another pipe since then. As is the case with many of my projects once I reach success I tend to move on to other challenges. With a day job, family and a bunch of other hobbies I can't fit it all in. But I'll never say never I've always wanted to do a bent shape and maybe a crazy freehand. Now I have a drill press vice so I know I could pull off some accurate angle bores. If and when I go into business you all will be the first to know!

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
" Now I have a drill press vice so I know I could pull off some accurate angle bores"

That's the way.If one day you had need to get a fast way to do perfect angle bores let me know i will post to you some pics of how i work

Maurizio

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Maurizio, I will keep that in mind. First thing on the list once it warms up (no heat in my workshop) is a pipe rack for my Pete's.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Pitchfork asked if there was other pics of the pipe I carved on the "Your Least Expensive Pipe" thread. Here you go Pitchfork! Enjoy.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Yaz -I made this pipe probably around 1994. I made one or two experiments before that to figure out the drilling then made the one pictured here. I've not made another one since but I do have a block of briar given to me by Briarbird so one day I may have some new pictures to post up here.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, bentmike! I obviously didn't know this thread was already up -- but it's great to see the other pictures. You've obviously got some skills. A professional pipe maker would probably make some suggestions as far as thickness of the shank, etc. but overall the shaping is really nicely done. I like it. Very impressive work.
Thanks again for bumping the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.