PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

berents

Lurker
Jul 19, 2016
First of all I have to admit that I am not (yet) a tobacco pipe fan (although I am considering giving it a chance, since I am a man who like sto read books, play chess and that sort of activities). But nevertheless, my dad likes smoking pipes. He used to smoke pipes about 15 years ago quite a lot and he had a collection of about 7 or 8 pretty fine pipes. But at one time he decided to quit and gave away his collection of pipes. Now he started smoking again (about half a year ago) and he only has one pipe left, so I decided that I would like to buy him a new one, but I haven't got a clue about what a good pipe looks like or where to buy it. He is not a spendthrift, so he bought himself two cheap pipes that are quite useless (he still smokes his old one). For his 60th birthday I would really like to buy him something special and I think that a good pipe would be the perfect choise. I also don't want to spend a fortune on it, although I am willing to pay as much as 150€ (I think I should be able to get something good for this money?). And I really need your help for that. I don't trust the internets anymore, since every review I read has probably been paid for :(
Thank you very much and best regard!

berents

Lurker
Jul 19, 2016
I forgot to say that my dad now smokes a pipe that looks like this:

1-PC-font-b-Wooden-b-font-font-b-Pipe-b-font-Durable-Chinese-Herb-Tobacco.jpg

But one time he showed me a picture of a pipe he would like to have and it looked like this:

big_ben_pipe_of_the_year_2003_dark_1__52205.1452115234.600.600.JPG

I am from Slovenija, so I will probably have to order it online.
Thank you all again!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
As a dad myself, can I just say that is a great gift idea?
I'm going to say if that's the one he showed you, try to find that one online. I see you are close to God's Country, have you tried www.pfeifenkonsulat.at? Lots of interesting stuff there and fairly close by relatively speaking.
Another option might be to find a nice pipe shop and take him there and let him pick one out himself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most pipe smokers are really subjective about choosing a pipe. Two pipes that look almost identical to you, one would be greatly preferred, the other somewhat disliked. It's just a very personal decision with a lot of considerations. Also, there's just the magic some pipes have and others totally lack for a particular person. So I really like and recommend the pipe shop idea (if you feel your dad could accept a specified amount and not be disappointed), or the same sort of an arrangement at online retailers. Your dad could spend the afternoon looking with you at pipes, noting down the ones he might like, and then, if he is still not decided, you could "sleep on" the decision and you could order in the next day or two. Pipes tend to last forever, so he'll enjoy this a long time.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Take a look at Mr. Brogg pipes, they are made in Poland, mostly Pearwood but they do have some Briar, I have 2 Brogg briar pipes and they smoke good and sell for $15-35 US, also look at Rossi pipes,they have a good selection from $60 and up and are good smokers.Ther are many other pipe brands out there but like others hear I would suggest finding a shop and take dad in to pick one out
I would normally suggest an estate pipe however since you are not a smoker I would assume you don't know what to look for and your dad would probably like a new pipe

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
In that price range, I would look for an unfiltered Stanwell or Peterson. Both have great smoking, beautiful, bent pipes similar to your photo. I would try smokingpipes.com. They have a large selection of both and the service is exceptional. I do like the idea of taking him to a pipe shop, if you're near one, and have him pick one out!

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
No matter what pipe you get your father, I think is wonderful that you are wanting to buy him a gift that will mean a lot to him. Enjoy the hunt for your fathers new pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Big Ben's are good pipes, made in The Netherlands. Be sure you get the filter your dad wants, or no filter if your dad wants that. I have a Big Ben churchwarden that smokes well, that I like a lot. Good big bowl, but nice light weight.

berents

Lurker
Jul 19, 2016
Thank you for your answers. It would be great to take him to a pipe shop,but there are no good pipe stores in my country. And it would also take the element of surprise away. My dad would probably also tell me to spend the money on my kids :)

So I will order the pipe online. I looked at the page in Austria that you recommended and they ship to Slovenia. As far as I looked now, I should probably take a big Ben,Peterson,stanwell or savinelli? He smokes a pipe with filters.

Thanks again!

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I recently bought my first Savinelli, it is called a Dry System and takes a balsa filter. I loved it so much I found myself buying two more within a month, my first pipe purchase in 20 years! I found them online for $60.

Status
Not open for further replies.