PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Reading this thread, I notice some characteristics that are commonly listed as being desirable in a pipe.
No gurgle

Good draw

Dry smoke

Few relights

Burn any tobacco well

No soggy dottle

Easy to clench

Burns to ash

Easy to clean
I have thirty briars, about ten of which I smoke regularly. But I have one pipe which gives me a perfect smoke every time:
PdSnslc.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have three gourd calabash pipes. One is a poor example with a shallow porcelain bowl. The other two, which are both on the smaller end for gourd calabashes, really are incredibly good smokers with all the attributes mentioned in the original post. Both are quite attractive, but one it's about a century old, made in England, and has a gold cap and ferrule. LOVE that one. They're excellent pipes for a contemplative smoke since you do need to be more mindful as you're smoking one. They are a bit delicate.
00001IMG_00001_BURST20171006154825_COVER-X3.jpg

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Artificialme, are you an infomorph (aka "spambot")?
Listen to this episode of The Moth to understand my question.
:rofl: funny if you think that way about me. Nope. I'm flesh and blood. Alive and kicking. Just someone who have spare time in between jobs that I do. Why did you throw this accusation to my by the way? because rapid posting maybe? Just curious, really :mrgreen:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I find "Burns to ash" and "Few relights" have more to do with the tobacco than the pipe, however, I'm happy to hear you have a pipe that never lets you down. Often it takes me some fiddling to get a new-to-me blend to give me a perfect smoke, but over the years I now get better smokes more often, thanks to the good advice I get on this forum and reading tobacco reviews.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Artificialme, it was solely due to your handle, "artificialme". Sorry that I wasn't clear about just kidding you. It reminded me of the episode of The Moth that I linked in my last post where a real person's social media identity had been stolen by what he termed a spambot.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Artificialme, it was solely due to your handle, "artificialme". Sorry that I wasn't clear about just kidding you. It reminded me of the episode of The Moth that I linked in my last post where a real person's social media identity had been stolen by what he termed a spambot.
It's okay. I knew that you were not meant it. I just thought maybe my rapid posting made you ask it. Hahaha. By the way, perfect smoke to me is when I can smoke without any distraction and not really think about relight and so on :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.