PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
CF3EiI0.jpg

After seeing Ryan's rustication method and loving his technique,

I had always wanted one.
I wrote him and asked and he kindly made one for me.
He knocked it out of the park,

I've been smoking this thing constantly.

It came with an uncoated bowl and built a cake quickly with no problems,

it is probably the most sweet smoking pipe I own.

I have only smoked Warrior Plug in it and it delivers the true taste without fail.

It's got a really cool olive greenish ebonite stem, I'd say the color is "avocado mist". :P

I really love it.
FnNn6hy.jpg

eceu2WW.jpg

ComdqHg.jpg

oSxjvAW.jpg

Q14BChh.jpg

jKoL6je.jpg

QKcrgC9.jpg

48Q9XA4.jpg

That pipe served me so well I decided to ask for another one and once again,

Ryan delivered the goods.
The sunburst stain is gloriously beautiful, as is the orangish cumberland,

I couldn't really capture the stain nuance,

but Ryan's pix are very good to see it:

http://www.aldenpipes.com/sold/56/stubby-chubby-billiard/
Upon request, he also added his Texas stamp,

too cool!
This pipe makes me smile wide with happiness!
4fBmUzs.jpg

3UreaYN.jpg

OCbUw8r.jpg

eEujYRT.jpg

SiavHDZ.jpg

6kHY5Ga.jpg

ODwN4yO.jpg

bEGUpbb.jpg

I loved how he blasted all the way down the shank without any masking...

gKSEWnX.jpg

6fu8qni.jpg

And the leather bags he uses are great too,

practical and actually very protective,

this last one was weathered looking and cut to perfect size!
cAgVcVy.jpg

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Very nice set of chubs there misterlowercase! Ryan's work is phenomenal - the long lovat he made for me is the pride of my meager collection and I'll most certainly be commissioning another once my pocketbook is feeling noticeably heavy (if ever that happens).
Enjoy!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Wow, nice burners Troy, both of them. I love the tanblast and the stem compliments the briar perfectly. Enjoy the shit out of them on this glorious 4th weekend my friend!

Dec 24, 2012
Looking at those chubby pipes literally gives me a chubby.
I love the rustication on the first one - very much like a Castello Sea Rock, my favourite form of rustication.
The second one is, I believe, sandblasted, correct? What a wonderful blast and that stem really works on that pipe.
Alas, if I didn't feel slighted by the fact that Ryan went out of his way to avoid meeting me at the Chicago show, I think I would have no choice to rush out and commission a couple of these right away!
Beautiful stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome devils these. I'm not a chubbies buyer, but these are excellent examples of the style, finish and flare. Also, these look like they'd be durable pocket pipes despite their up-market class.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
it is probably the most sweet smoking pipe I own.
I knew you liked it, but didn't realize you thought so highly of it ! That really makes my day.
Ryan went out of his way to avoid meeting me at the Chicago show
You're not giving me any credit here, it was a LOT of work avoiding you. It's tough to hide behind fake Shrubbery when you are 6'6" ! Twice I had to hide in the pool, then slog my way back to the room dripping wet. Ruined a good cigar. Got maced ducking into a strangers hotel room. Next year I suppose we'll have to meet, I was so busy watching out for you I barely sold any pipes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Avocado Mist - outstanding choice. If I do another commission, Ryan is on the top spot of my short list. His shaping and stem work are really something.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Troy-

What a pair! I really like that blast and sunburst stain on the 2nd one......... And that stem just sets the whole pipe in motion......Enjoy 'em!! :puffy:

Dec 24, 2012
You're not giving me any credit here, it was a LOT of work avoiding you. It's tough to hide behind fake Shrubbery when you are 6'6" ! Twice I had to hide in the pool, then slog my way back to the room dripping wet. Ruined a good cigar. Got maced ducking into a strangers hotel room. Next year I suppose we'll have to meet, I was so busy watching out for you I barely sold any pipes.
You may be the only Ninja in all of Texas. Your stealth skills are amazing. I actually went down the aisles looking for you. I knew I should have checked behind those planters.
You are dead to me.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
You are dead to me.
Ah Hell. Allan told me you were a reigning Canadian Hide and Seek Champion, and the only way to earn your respect was make it through the week without getting tagged.

That's the last time I ever take advice from him !

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
The funny thing is, if you two reprobates had collided at the show you'd have broken the bar and probably left Chicago in ruin. I think you'd get along famously.
PS - Alden, your a big damned ninja.
Troy, those are some wonderful pipes Ryan made for you. I love them as a tandem! Peck is right, that rustication is singing. Nicely done Ryan!
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.