PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrslaughter

Lurker
Jul 14, 2019
Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop
Introduction

Let me start by saying that I intended to do this review last night, but other things came up, although I did enjoy a bowl of Haunted Bookshop that evening. Also, I apologize for not including anything regarding smell into this review, but I am willing to add it in if you ask for it. I have plenty of this stuff sitting around in my cellar now. Alrighty then ladies and gentlemen, bear with me as this is my very first tobacco review, though I am excited to pop my cherry! I am new to piping, but I want to be able to contribute to the community however possible. So, I'll just get straight to it then!
Review

Upon the completion of both my char and true lights, I slowly began my journey into the Haunted Bookshop. Much to my surprise, I was greeted with what I thought to be a much more discreet flavor profile than what I had experienced the night prior. Chalking it up to having recently eaten dinner, I decided to exhale some smoke through my nose in an attempt to draw out a more pronounced flavor. Doing so produced a very peppery feeling in my nasal cavity, causing me to regret my efforts almost instantly. After taking a sip or two of my unsweetened green iced tea, hoping that it would reset my pallet so that I could produce a worthwhile review, I kept sipping away at the smoke. Something worthwhile to note is that I find this blend to burn very cool, and cannot see any reason that someone should be affected by tongue bite while enjoying it. With my mind telling me that I am unqualified to even attempt a tobacco review, I continue nonetheless, determined to succeed. Several minutes and a tamp or two later, I started to pick up on some of this blend's flavor profile. About 3/4 down the bowl, I noticed a rather spicy note that almost tickles the tongue upon sipping the smoke. It is a very deep, rich, earthy flavor, which reminds me of a cigar. Every now and then the blend gifts me with something special upon exhaling...Something that I cannot simply put my finger on...The note is "buttery" with just a dash of sweetness. To my surprise, I am now halfway down the bowl. As I relight my pipe I am met by a somewhat harsh slap in the mouth, but as I settle back down into my slow, rhythmic puffing, the bitterness dissipates and is replaced by a somewhat nutty flavor. Not light like that of a pistachio or peanut, but deep and earthy, almost "woody", closer resembling an almond. The spiciness still remains, though I primarily notice it when I exhale through both my mouth and nose simultaneously.
Side note: My head is starting to throb slightly, almost like a minor headache, but I am not sure if I can accurately associate it with smoking this blend. I carry on.
The flavors seem to have stabilized and are no longer changing drastically at this point. Now it seems that the nutty, woody, earthy flavors have taken the driver's seat, although every now and then the spicy notes jerk at the wheel from the passenger seat and attempt to take over. I still get that slightly sweet "buttery" exhale from time to time, and I find myself chasing after it. I long for it.
I am definitely light headed now. Nothing too crazy, but I surely feel different. I have been enjoying this bowl for nearly an hour now, and I only just realized that I am down at the 1/4 mark, only because I had to relight. The cigar flavor punched me again as I lit the pipe, then fades away, though not completely this time. It is now here to stay. The flavors are still very woody, but even more so now. It has become very bold in flavor. I believe that the Perique is to blame, as the smoke has become increasingly peppery. That little buttery note that I oh so love has vanished without a trace. I continue exploring the ever strengthening bold flavors that this blend has to offer and before I know it, I have reached the end of my journey.
Summary

This blend seems to have something to offer almost anyone. As each flavor delicately dances in and out of the spotlight, I couldn't help but wonder what would come next. From the seeming lack of flavor altogether, to the earthy, woody, slightly nuttiness to the deep, dark, cigar-like flavoring, and finally to my personal favorite, the wisp of semi-sweet butteriness, Haunted Bookshop kept me guessing the entire way through. I am definitely glad that I purchased an entire pound of this! The nicotine hit was nice once the slight headache feeling went away, and I am still enjoying a nice lightheaded feeling as I type this. If you haven't already tried this blend, pick up an ounce or two to sample and hang on tight, because your taste buds will experience a rollercoaster ride of flavors, and you will NOT regret it!
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this review. I tried to make it as thoughtful as possible, and I hope that it was entertaining and or helpful to at least one of you out there!

Reactions: charf

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Precise and to the point! I've never tried the HB. But, as with some of my favorite blends, the more you experiment with them, the more you will start enjoying them and noticing the different flavors.
Excellent review and many thanks!

mrslaughter

Lurker
Jul 14, 2019
Thank you gentlemen, I really did try! I may be a newbie, but as I said, I try to contribute where I can. This is an excellent community and I can't just take from it, but instead I must give back! Cheers and happy piping everyone!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Well done!
These burley blends from C&D tend towards the unflavored, woody side, IMO. Combined with the perique it is creates a kind of sour, musty horseradish flavor and sensation. It took me a while, but I grew to like it, too. Curious to see what you think of Escudo, as the perique and Virginia combination offers something way different.

mrslaughter

Lurker
Jul 14, 2019
Perhaps I will review it next! It seems that you all have enjoyed this review, so I may just keep them coming! Thank you all for the feedback! :D

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
just a side note all reviews are helpful. I rarely pay much attention to a single review. And we need many styles and skill levels in reviews. you get a better picture of a tobacco when you read pro and amateur reviews. As long as you can tell us what you experienced and what your opinion of tobacco is you've helped us out. Just trying to smash that idea that only certain people should do reviews. Also you can't do a worse job of describing a blend then garbage descriptions they put on tins and packs. And finally I think I am going to get a tin of this on a future order.

Status
Not open for further replies.